Jay Bilas thinks Maryland is tougher than us (LOL) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jay Bilas thinks Maryland is tougher than us (LOL)

Reaction Score
Bouk and Andre didn't play the middle game v. Creighton so I don't think it's fair to include that and they only played Villanova once this season so it's really 1-3 (Creighton @ home, Nova on the road, Creighton @ MSG, USC @ Mohegan).

And who cares what Jay Bilas says. If you're mentioning Tyler Polley just because he won 6th man of the year to the shock of everyone before Adama Sanogo & RJ Cole then you aren't paying attention. His blurb read like a computer generated write-up that grabbed the conference awards and worked backwards from that.

That being said, Maryland will be a good test and the Huskies will need a great performance to win.

Yea I forgot the Nova game got cancelled. My point still stands I think - If we have a mismatch we win because we create distance and don't let our nerviness in clutch come into play, if its even up talent wise and we can't separate, we don't really have a plan in the crunch. Its really tough for us to generate anything.

Its not like we can't get some boost of confidence or Bouk can hit another gear and that problem goes away -
But right now we don't have answers in the crunch, and that could really burn us in a tournament notorious for its intensity and toughness.

Reaction Score
All of a sudden everyone is discounting Creighton. The Jays were consistently winning games scoring in the 80-90 point range. They beat Nova 86-70. UConn held Creighton to 76 in OT, 74 and 59. UConn held Nova to 68. They obviously had trouble closing out some games but the definitely played tough the other 36-38 minutes. Screw Bilas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Huskies are good, but Maryland is tougher?

Suck a D Jay.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You guys def got a tough draw in Maryland and if you get by them you'll face #2 Alabama who has a star player in John Petty, Quirnely brothers and a deep roster...Tough road...This PC fan wishes you and all BE Team sgood luck...I don't agree with Bilas about all our BE teams getting swept...
Who are you and what have you done with Willball?

Reaction Score
Yea I forgot the Nova game got cancelled. My point still stands I think - If we have a mismatch we win because we create distance and don't let our nerviness in clutch come into play, if its even up talent wise and we can't separate, we don't really have a plan in the crunch. Its really tough for us to generate anything.

Its not like we can't get some boost of confidence or Bouk can hit another gear and that problem goes away -
But right now we don't have answers in the crunch, and that could really burn us in a tournament notorious for its intensity and toughness.
Hopefully we've got a healthy Cole and a sub-five-foul Sanogo available if we get the ball in a one possession game with 30 seconds left. Other than Bouknight and maybe Polley, they seem to be the only two ready to sack up when the heat is on lately. Without them, stick your best defender on Bouknight (knowing there's a 99.9% chance he's going to have the ball), drape someone with a pulse on Polley (knowing he's slow and unable to create his own shot), and allow everyone else to gamble a bit (knowing Bouknight would be unlikely to give it up to Gaffney / Martin / Whaley in that scenario).

Reaction Score
About an hour and a half ago on the ESPN set with Bilas, Seth Greenberg said the Huskies are tough and competitive like their head coach and he was picking them to go to the Sweet 16. Bilas didn't say anything when he said that.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Maryland is an undersized team who likes to play a slow game in half court. We need to pound them down low with Sanogo, Whaley, Carlton, etc.

In addition, they suck when the game speeds up and when you speed them up. We play very well when we are able to play fast that is the key to this game. Speed the game up and run at every turn. We are not going to outsmart anyone in half court sets. Our strength is to run and play fast.

Aaron Wiggins is a good athletic wing for them, and Morsell is their Damien Jefferson clone who can do a little bit of everything.

We're 301 in adjusted tempo on KenPom. Maryland is 317. We both play very slow and hang our hats on defense.

This doesn't discount your point that we play well when we run; we just don't run often (save for those two blowouts of DePaul and Georgetown). Part of that was a depth issue and Bouk being out, but I have a hard time thinking our identity is going to change overnight. It looked like there was a concerted effort to speed Creighton up at the beginning of the game, then we got into foul trouble, stopped making shots, and we plodded away ineffectively in the halfcourt.

Reaction Score
Not all of our guys were soft, but enough of the important ones were for this take to be valid and to be the difference.

Bouknight's body language down the stretch of the season, even in games we were winning, was horrible. Terrific player, good kid, but not a leader or a winner.

Reaction Score
freezing cold takes.jpg

Reaction Score
He also picked Creighton to lose to USCB and Nova to lose to Winthrop and Georgetown to lose to Colorado. Not a single BE team will win according to him (he is an idiot IMO). He should drop the L and change his name to Jay Bias.
Georgetown got slaughtered.
UConn was down by dubs the entire game.
Creighton won on FTs under 20secs left and a missed layup.
Villanova was Villanova, but it was a close game well into the second half

both lucked into 13 seeds, but these don't look so bad in retrospect do they?

Reaction Score
Cole's not soft.

I think Sanogo isn't, but was in foul trouble and it wasn't a good game for a freshman 5 to be guarding a 5 out team

Cole's not? Who was running the show tonight for that offensive performance? What did he do with the chance at the line to win earlier this year?

He is not the answer.

Reaction Score
Cole's not? Who was running the show tonight for that offensive performance? What did he do with the chance at the line to win earlier this year?

He is not the answer.
He's a good enough player and I am not going to run him down in this game.

He's not the answer as your second or third best player.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Georgetown got slaughtered.
UConn was down by dubs the entire game.
Creighton won on FTs under 20secs left and a missed layup.
Villanova was Villanova, but it was a close game well into the second half

both lucked into 13 seeds, but these don't look so bad in retrospect do they?
Lmao. An expert went 50% on his picks. How amazing.

Your arguments are “barley winning” means nothing and “big ten lost games they shouldn’t have, but it also means nothing”. You’re a walking contraction.

Also, if you don’t understand that barely winning is still winning then you’ve clearly never experienced winning in your life. I feel bad for you, guy.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This dude would show is face after 5 terrible threads
You said you’d fade the under 130 cause I know nothing. How did that work for you, poly?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You said you’d fade the under 130 cause I know nothing. How did that work for you, poly?
You said you had UConn winning, didn’t you? I also have never ever taken the under in my life.

Reaction Score
Lmao. An expert went 50% on his picks. How amazing.

Your arguments are “barley winning” means nothing and “big ten lost games they shouldn’t have, but it also means nothing”. You’re a walking contraction.

Also, if you don’t understand that Barkley winning is still winning then you’ve clearly never experienced winning in your life. I feel bad for you, guy.
So, Jay Bilas was comically wrong. That's your take after the first weekend? UConn wasn't out-toughed by Maryland as he suggested?

Also, there's no contradiction. I said what he suggested was perfectly reasonable. That was proven by the results. Maryland was tougher than us by a lot today. Our star player pooped himself on the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom