Jay Bilas thinks Maryland is tougher than us (LOL) | The Boneyard

Jay Bilas thinks Maryland is tougher than us (LOL)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
From this article: Jay Bilas picks every single game in the 2021 NCAA men's basketball tournament

No. 7 UConn Huskies vs. No. 10 Maryland Terrapins
Crab cakes and defense: That's what Maryland does! The Terps don't have the same rim protection as in past years, but they do have Darryl Morsell, the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. Plus, they have a gritty attitude that has carried them through a brutal Big Ten schedule. Aaron Wiggins, Eric Ayala and Donta Scott have each hit over 44 3-point field goals. There is not much margin for error, as Maryland does not generate turnovers and does not consistently get second shots. But Maryland fights. UConn has a star in James Bouknight, a prototype NBA guard. Bouknight had been out due to injury early in the season, and the coach-speak phrase that "he will come back to a better team" actually rings true here. The Huskies had multiple players step forward and accept more responsibility. Bouknight, who grew up a baseball player and only committed to basketball after having Tommy John surgery recommended, is a three-level scorer who is creative, explosive and productive. He is quick with the ball and can get his own shot. Isaiah Whaley is an excellent defender and shot-blocker, so much that he was named Big East Defensive Player of the Year. Whaley is a solid rebounder who helps anchor the top-scoring defense in the Big East. Tyler Polley, a senior along with Whaley, is the Big East Sixth Man of the Year. He comes in to provide leadership, defense and timely 3-point shooting. UConn was on a roll heading into the Big East tournament. The Huskies are good, but Maryland is tougher. Winner: Maryland

I swear, no one at ESPN has watched us play a game this season.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
He also picked Creighton to lose to USCB and Nova to lose to Winthrop and Georgetown to lose to Colorado. Not a single BE team will win according to him (he is an idiot IMO). He should drop the L and change his name to Jay Bias.

Reaction Score
I don't think any of those takes are unreasonable. Doesn't mean it will happen, but we crumbled against Creighton twice and couldn't beat Villanova on the road. Those are the best teams we played.

A neutral win against a 6-seed is our best win. Maryland has played much much tougher teams than us, and has beaten a 1-seed on the road. Perfectly reasonable to expect them to be tougher: they are more tested, were 24-7 last year, and juniors and seniors have NCAA experience.

I hardly see any bias in picking a 12 to lose to a 5, and two shaky 5s to lose to good looking 12s.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not saying any of the Big East teams can't lose their opening games, but to not pick a single big east team while also claiming Maryland is tougher than us (why? because they tried to fight Michigan?) is just a joke. It makes me think he hasn't watched a single minute of Big East basketball all year.

Edit: Bill Raftery who calls both Big 10 and Big East basketball was raving about our team's toughness during the DePaul game. Bilas should watch a few minutes of our game tape before making ridiculous claims.

Reaction Score
From this article: Jay Bilas picks every single game in the 2021 NCAA men's basketball tournament

I swear, no one at ESPN has watched us play a game this season.
They haven't. I have been in those rooms. They watch the games that they are paid to talk about, which are games on the channel. Not sure how much Bilas has watched UConn, but i am sure it wasn't a ton. There are so many games on, why would you watch a team in a league you don't broadcast if that team isn't in the Top 25.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nothing that he said it crazy. We lost to a team that then lost the next game by 30 to a team we beat by 20.... No idea what UConn team will show you could absolutely argue that MD is tougher than us using whatever feelings you like. You could also argue that we are better team based on facts and data. We'll find out on Saturday when the ball gets jumped who is tougher, hungrier and more willing to win.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Jay Bilas is far from an idiot. A Dookie but not an idiot. He has also been known as being pro UConn.
Creighton is a stronger physical team than UConn and at times it looked like men vs boys. UConn got creamed on the boards.
I agree that Maryland is much more physical as are a lot of teams. Maryland plays in a league that promotes physical play like the OBE.
BUT that being said, being more physical doesn't necessarily mean better
I don't agree with all his picks but just because he picks against UConn doesn't mean he is an idiot.
Bilas has more basketball knowledge in his pinky finger than McLovin and I have in our entire bodies.

Reaction Score
Not saying any of the Big East teams can't lose their opening games, but to not pick a single big east team while also claiming Maryland is tougher than us (why? because they tried to fight Michigan?) is just a joke. It makes me think he hasn't watched a single minute of Big East basketball all year.

Edit: Bill Raftery who calls both Big 10 and Big East basketball was raving about our team's toughness during the DePaul game. Bilas should watch a few minutes of our game tape before making ridiculous claims.
Does it really matter what any of the talking heads say?

Reaction Score

Yeah, we looked tough against DePaul, a team that won 5 games all year.

How did we look against Creighton? Does a tough team lose the way what we did to them? Twice?

EDIT: Look, Maryland is no world-beater, but they've played a way tougher schedule than us and beaten better teams than we've played. Lots of reasons to get excited for our team, but toughness hasn't yet proven itself once to me.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yeah, we looked tough against DePaul, a team that won 5 games all year.

How did we look against Creighton? Does a tough team lose the way what we did to them? Twice?

EDIT: Look, Maryland is no world-beater, but they've played a way tougher schedule than us and beaten better teams than we've played. Lots of reasons to get excited for our team, but toughness hasn't yet proven itself once to me.
Our point guard got body slammed to the floor (with no call) with 5 minutes left and was back on the bench, concussed with a stitched up face by the end of the game. James Bouknight had elbow surgery and was back in less than 6 weeks (and was asking to get back sooner). We are tough motherduckers, as Jim Calhoun would say. The results on the floor are not always pretty, but we are always going to have warriors with Hurley at the helm.

I think if you asked Hurley one criticism of his team (any team he has ever coached) that would really piss him off, it would be a criticism of their toughness.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Our point guard got body slammed to the floor (with no call) with 5 minutes left and was back on the bench, concussed with a stitched up face by the end of the game.
Our pg was out of control and knocked himself out, unfortunately. Can you call a foul on yourself?

He'll need to be a big factor if we are to succeed in the tourny though.

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas is far from an idiot. A Dookie but not an idiot. He has also been known as being pro UConn.
Creighton is a stronger physical team than UConn and at times it looked like men vs boys. UConn got creamed on the boards.
I agree that Maryland is much more physical as are a lot of teams. Maryland plays in a league that promotes physical play like the OBE.
BUT that being said, being more physical doesn't necessarily mean better
I don't agree with all his picks but just because he picks against UConn doesn't mean he is an idiot.
Bilas has more basketball knowledge in his pinky finger than McLovin and I have in our entire bodies.
Being physical in the NCAA tournament is over rated. Being “smart” is under rated. See Kemba and Bazz.
It’s the smartest teams that win the championships.

Kemba and Bazz knew how to get opposing bigs and star players into foul trouble

Reaction Score
A big key in this game will be Bouk and Cole drawing fouls. Haven’t done my research but they are probably not as deep as us

Reaction Score
Maryland beat Illinois, who is our equivalent victory?

Just saying Maryland is a safe pick, especially not seeing us play and looking at us on paper.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Our point guard got body slammed to the floor (with no call) with 5 minutes left and was back on the bench, concussed with a stitched up face by the end of the game. James Bouknight had elbow surgery and was back in less than 6 weeks (and was asking to get back sooner). We are tough motherduckers, as Jim Calhoun would say. The results on the floor are not always pretty, but we are always going to have warriors with Hurley at the helm.

I think if you asked Hurley one criticism of his team (any team he has ever coached) that would really piss him off, it would be a criticism of their toughness.

how old are? Would you consider yourself a basketball fan outside of UConn? Cause this has to be one of the most off the reservation bleed blue glasses posts of all time.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not convinced that "guys got hurt and sat on the bench at varying times" is a good argument for the team's toughness.

Reaction Score
A big key in this game will be Bouk and Cole drawing fouls. Haven’t done my research but they are probably not as deep as us
I agree, need to use our depth, and I’m hoping the staff is working with Sanogo on drawing even a few fouls on purpose. His fakes and spins cause defenses a lot of trouble, as he stays composed which he demonstrated against creighton. Need him to draw a few quick ones on the other teams bigs early just to get them off kilter

Reaction Score
You guys def got a tough draw in Maryland and if you get by them you'll face #2 Alabama who has a star player in John Petty, Quirnely brothers and a deep roster...Tough road...This PC fan wishes you and all BE Team sgood luck...I don't agree with Bilas about all our BE teams getting swept...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom