January Recruiting Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

January Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1/22

Ice Brady squared off with Kennedy Smith ('24) on Saturday. Brady and CC led by 20 at one point but Etiwanda rallied to win. Smith was named MVP with 15 points.

Going to the Etiwanda game next Tuesday. It’s in my hood.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not exactly a recruiting item, but the mini-tournament played at Hopkins over the weekend:

In the first games, #1 undefeated Sidwell Friends beat #3 and previously undefeated Hopkins (Paige's alma mater). Apparently, #2 DeSoto from Texas beat #4 Grandview (Lauren Betts) from Colorado.

On the second day, Sidwell beat DeSoto for the second time this season. Hopkins beat Grandview by about 30.

Sidwell has Kiki Rice, Jadyn Donovan, and Kendall Dudley (all top 10 per HG) and remains the nation's top team. I saw them on December 1 and hope to see them again. They are well coached (Dudley's mother) and very athletic.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From last weekend:

The lead was only 19-13 after one quarter, but at that point Morgan Cheli took over. The 6-2 sophomore sensation, who can play almost any position on the court, keyed a 16-0 Mitty run. By halftime she had outscored Folsom 15-9 herself in the second quarter. At that point the score was 42-19 and the game was pretty much decided.

Cheli, who was named the MVP of the game and received her T-shirt in a post-game presentation by Ionescu, also had five rebounds, two steals and one of her two three-pointers in the second quarter. Cheli finished with 19 points, 12 rebounds and five steals.

“Morgan is a very special player that impacts the game on both ends of the floor,” said Mitty head coach Sue Phillips. “With her size and skill set she can get to her spots on the floor and score in a variety of ways.”

Reaction Score
Interesting option on the transfer portal: "Mississippi State women's basketball forward Rickea Jackson, the SEC's leading scorer this season, plans to enter the transfer portal, she announced in a social media post Monday."

sun

Reaction Score
Interesting option on the transfer portal: "Mississippi State women's basketball forward Rickea Jackson, the SEC's leading scorer this season, plans to enter the transfer portal, she announced in a social media post Monday."
With Liv's departure, she would be a great scoring asset for UConn.
She would be able to help teach the 2022 freshmen a few things.
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed in hope that UConn reaches out to her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If she wants contact. If she doesn't coaches cannot reach out to her even though she is in the portal. Not all players want coaches of other programs hounding them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Highlight package from Toomey's game Saturday (1/22):

Is she exceptional or is she another Brunnell, who is good but not exceptional? Do you think she will excel in D1 basketball?

Reaction Score
Is she exceptional or is she another Brunnell, who is good but not exceptional? Do you think she will excel in D1 basketball?
For me, these PA. HS videos don’t do much. There’s no real competition for her. I watch whatever AAU clips that are available. She’s better able to use her skill set in the faster pace. IMO, her shooting, passing and ballhandling for 6-3, floor vision, and BB IQ are all UConn level. She has the potential to be exceptional and there are three areas that I think will determine whether she does or not. 1) Physical toughness, will she be willing to bang for position and defense, both on the perimeter and around the boards. 2) Strength. She’s in need of a serious strength program as soon as possible to be able to handle #1. 3) Desire. Already off to a promising start working with instructors to build good fundamentals and expand her game. If she’s willing to continue this through her college career she can be exceptional.

Reaction Score

Go get her, UConn. Need all the scoring we can get. We all saw what could happen when your decimated by injuries.

She'd most likely only be playing for a year (assuming she doesnt use her extra covid year).

sun

Reaction Score
If she wants contact. If she doesn't coaches cannot reach out to her even though she is in the portal. Not all players want coaches of other programs hounding them.
I'm not sure what you're saying.
The NCAA rules are clear that coaches can contact Div. 1 players who are in the portal.
That means that they can send an email, express letter, make a phone call etc...
Of course if a person doesn't want to reply or answer the call, then they won't.
I don't see how attempting to make permissible contact is "hounding" anyone who wants to transfer.
The portal would indicate if she had been accepted elsewhere, or she could just tell the coach herself.

If someone advertises that there car is for sale and a person calls them up is that hounding?

"Transfer from NCAA Division I Institution • Contact permitted when listed on the NCAA Transfer Portal."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Go get her, UConn. Need all the scoring we can get. We all saw what could happen when your decimated by injuries.

She'd most likely only be playing for a year (assuming she doesnt use her extra covid year).
UConn wasn’t on her list coming out of HS

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For me, these PA. HS videos don’t do much. There’s no real competition for her. I watch whatever AAU clips that are available. She’s better able to use her skill set in the faster pace. IMO, her shooting, passing and ballhandling for 6-3, floor vision, and BB IQ are all UConn level. She has the potential to be exceptional and there are three areas that I think will determine whether she does or not. 1) Physical toughness, will she be willing to bang for position and defense, both on the perimeter and around the boards. 2) Strength. She’s in need of a serious strength program as soon as possible to be able to handle #1. 3) Desire. Already off to a promising start working with instructors to build good fundamentals and expand her game. If she’s willing to continue this through her college career she can be exceptional.
BobbyJ great analysis. I can add she has great footwork. Footwork much like Stewie...shes not Stewie but has footwork similar to Stewie. BTW he idol is Stewie I hope UConn lands her because I believe she will be a really good college player and Geno will develop her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You bring up an interesting question/comparison. I believe Toomey will be exceptional because she is an elite shot maker from all three levels of the floor who is capable of creating her own shot. Samantha Brunelle was no slouch she was a very good player at a comparable age. I just think Toomey is a little more skilled mainly in ball handling, sheer athleticism, & passing.
Toomey is also 2 inches taller than Brunelle and when you combine that with the difference in athleticism that may be all the difference in the world. Simply put Brunelle is a tweeter- not good enough to defend the perimeter as a wing on a consistent basis and not big enough to bang in the post consistently. Toomey is agile enough to defend the perimeter in a pinch and is plenty big enough to bang and be successful as well. It is also notable that Brunelle sharp decline and fall from the #1 player in the class started with and was mainly about shooting. At USA basketball U16 and U17 Brunelle became a very very poor shooter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That not how it works. A player MUST be in the portal if they intend to transfer. Once a player is in the portal all Coaches are free to reach out. A player wishing not to be contacted can certainly put that out on Social Media but it does not prevent the coaches from contacting them.

Reaction Score
That not how it works. A player MUST be in the portal if they intend to transfer. Once a player is in the portal all Coaches are free to reach out. A player wishing not to be contacted can certainly put that out on Social Media but it does not prevent the coaches from contacting them.

From the NCAA:

Why can’t coaches contact student-athletes on other NCAA teams about transferring?

The NCAA regulates contact between coaches and student-athletes on other teams to prevent the disruptive impact of continuous recruiting. Coaches can contact current student-athletes once they are listed in the transfer portal if the student has not activated the “do not contact” indicator.

Reaction Score
Players have the option for coaches/schools not to contact them once they enter the portal. For example, Hannah Gusters selected that option because she clearly intended to follow Mulkey to LSU.

“Once an athlete enters the transfer portal, coaches may contact them but are prohibited in doing so when “Do Not Contact” is turned on.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ice Brady and Ayanna Paterson both selected as 2022 McDonalds All-Americans.

FJ-Z-llXEAY8CuC

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Players have the option for coaches/schools not to contact them once they enter the portal. For example, Hannah Gusters selected that option because she clearly intended to follow Mulkey to LSU.
“Once an athlete enters the transfer portal, coaches may contact them but are prohibited in doing so when “Do Not Contact” is turned on.”
Thanks for this correction.

Reaction Score
UConn wasn’t on her list coming out of HS

Yup, but things change in the transfer portal world. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Geno reaches out along with the rest of the teams that will be after her.

Reaction Score
Yup, but things change in the transfer portal world. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if Geno reaches out along with the rest of the teams that will be after her.
Could be interesting. The player for 1 year is a good match. Don't know about the issues she had at MS but her stats suggest an athletic and tall 3. A player who is more a volume scorer than a shooter. Pretty good on the boards and blocking shots, but ball-handling numbers not that good. May be more of a 3/4 than a 2/3 which I think is the greater need.

I haven't heard anything more on that girl from Princeton that was in the portal, Abby something, but her stats were impressive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom