January - Other Big East Games | Page 10 | The Boneyard

January - Other Big East Games

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Bad defense in the first half, yes. Great defense in the second half. When you beat a team by 12 points, as we did in the second half, the defense is not a problem. In fact, that defense was responsible for much of the the 50% FG% and 60% 3-point shooting in the 2nd half after shooting 32% and 8% in the 1st half.

You can’t judge the effectiveness of the defense just by opponents’ points scored. You have to give credit to the Xavier offense as well. When the UConn D pressured the ball very effectively, Xavier’s ball movement and passing to find the open man was very good. Our guys could learn from that. Nonetheless, our D was overall very effective in the 2nd half as it held them to 12 points fewer than our guys scored.
Bless your heart

Reaction Score
Providence is the bizarro uconn when it comes to crunch time play. They don’t get rattled. Very nice road win. I guess good league teams CAN beat good league teams on the road.
10-11 Nova is a good league team?

Reaction Score
You know how when Sanogo gets doubled or trapped, he starts getting jittery and nervous and then throws up some garbage?

That's like Wahab, except every time he touches the ball. What happened to that guy? He was pretty good before he went to UMD

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Is Georgetown suddenly going to turn into a juggernaut? Up on Johnnies by 6 mid-2nd half (Posh is out).

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
It was great seeing Justin Moore back out on the court. Can only imagine where Villanova would be if he wasn’t injured. Unfortunately for Nova it was also great to see Jared Bynum. Both are fun to watch. Bynum has a little KEA to his game. One more point Devin Carter is a good defender

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wooowwww

GTown had the lead then a three from johnnies to take the lead

Reaction Score
Freshman AJ Storr hits the GAME WINNING 3 with 4 seconds left!

Not sure what GTown was doing after the Storr shot. Mozone inbounded to Akok, who gave it back to Mozone, who launched it 50 feet to Riley (got knocked out of bounds from Curbelo). Spears and Murray had over half of the Hoyas' points today and nobody even looked in their direction. Then they had Spears inbound with 1.2 seconds left, and GTown didn't get a shot off because Mozone's shot was after the buzzer. Such a Georgetown ending.

Akok unfortunately 0 points on 0-3, but did have 5 blocks
Primo Spears is special. I just realized he's playing 37 minutes a game this year. 25 points tonight

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wooowwww

GTown had the lead then a three from johnnies to take the lead
When I saw Primo was going to inbound for that final shot with 1.2 left, I felt certain GTown was going to run the Laettner play that killed us in 91. They didn't, but even though Mozone had just hit a 3 (and rimmed out the final shot), I'd have rather had Primo with the ball.

Reaction Score
Great defense in the second half?! I'm not sure I would call it that, lol. There were spurts of it but the bottom line is that we gave up 43 points in the second half (after giving up 39 in the first half). Xavier only put up 2 free throws in the last three minutes of the game so there was not a piling on of last minute points due to us fouling to stop the clock/hope they miss.

Our defense HAS to improve over the next two months our we'll peter out in conference play/BE tourney and will be limping into the big dance. Period.

LOL at you saying that giving up 82 points to Xavier was bad defense. They are 7th in the country in ppg. We held them BELOW their current scoring average. Anywhere else that’s considered a good day by the defense.

pj

Reaction Score
A Q1 home win is top 30 NET

They're talking about a road win which hasn't happened yet. They are counting February 11 eggs before they hatch.

Reaction Score
LOL at you saying that giving up 82 points to Xavier was bad defense. They are 7th in the country in ppg. We held them BELOW their current scoring average. Anywhere else that’s considered a good day by the defense.
You might think it's OK, but I don't settle for better than average defense. I want elite defense.

Reaction Score
You might think it's OK, but I don't settle for better than average defense. I want elite defense.

Stop. You called it bad defense. It wasn’t bad defense. Didn’t you watch the game? They generated their offense in the 2nd half off that “bad defense”. Without that “bad defense”, you don’t get 55 2nd half points. This isn’t football, offense & defense are integrated in basketball, they go hand in hand.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Stop. You called it bad defense. It wasn’t bad defense. Didn’t you watch the game? They generated their offense in the 2nd half off that “bad defense”. Without that “bad defense”, you don’t get 55 2nd half points. This isn’t football, offense & defense are integrated in basketball, they go hand in hand.
It was bad defense and Xavier scored more in the second half than they did in first. We also lost the game. Since Big East play, teams are scoring 20 more ppg than prior to Big East play. So yes, our defense was and has been bad, horrific, terrible, or whatever other word you want to describe not good, not great defense

Reaction Score
Yes, I watched the game and it was bad defense overall with a spurt of good defense, which was predominantly off of the press (which was short lived and should have been used a bit more because it was really the only effective stretch of "defense" we put forth).

We got those 55 second half points predominantly off of very good shooting (50% FG, 60% 3PT, and 16 made free throws). Perhaps you should go back and rewatch the game, especially the second half and actually do some objective counting of how we scored those 55 points.

pj

Reaction Score

Tempo also matters for points. Faster tempo may work to UConn's advantage, at least against some teams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Tempo also matters for points. Faster tempo may work to UConn's advantage, at least against some teams.
Yup. When we were able to get stops we were getting out and scoring much more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom