Jana's New Adventure as a Husky | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jana's New Adventure as a Husky

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is also why some of us are expecting a sophomore leap from Ice. As so many have observed, it tends to take longer for bigs to find themselves in D1 level competition than for guards. Jana’s first year will also undoubtedly be a “work in progress.”

Personally, I expect Jana to flounder initially and to depend on the 4 playing next to her for a lot of support, whether that’s Ice or Sarah or Paige or Morgan or Aubrey or Ayanna. The key is that she’ll have a lot of support.
I think your view of a traditional four and five camped out in the paint is outdated in modern basketball. Certainly, we haven't seen that in Storrs in decades.

I think it's reasonable to anticipate a sophomore jump for Ice. With a year of playing experience under her belt, she knows what she does well and what she needs to work on. She looked better in the postseason, which would seem to bode well for her making a decent sophomore jump.

For what it's worth, I could envision a scenario with both Ice and Jana and the floor together, but if that were to happen I would expect Jana to be the five and Ice to be more of a stretch 4, particularly given her shooting range.

Reaction Score
If Jana can put together 5-7 points a night and grab 6-8 boards a game and develop into a decent rim protector, 1-3 blocks a game, she is going to have a wonderful season and career here at UConn.
What gets me about these numbers is that they are roughly equivalent to Liv’s senior year numbers. If Jana does this it will be a good year indeed. I jest, of course, since in that season Liv was sharing minutes and opportunities with Dorka and Aaliyah. Naturally her numbers declined a little from the previous season. But it also suggests what playing next to serious front court talent might mean for Jana.

Reaction Score
I think your view of a traditional four and five camped out in the paint is outdated in modern basketball. Certainly, we haven't seen that in Storrs in decades.
How is this my view? I expect we’ll see plenty of the high low pairings on offense of the Liv/Dorka-Aailiyah years. In defense we’ll also see lots switching 1 through 5 and bigs coming out for high hedges. As I’ve pointed out before, Jana has top-of-the-key offensive skills already, as do Sarah Morgan and Ice. And all the bigs have the needed defensive potential. I also think we’ll see lots of 4-out sets and even some 5-out sets. We will have the personnel for these too.

My view is and has long been that we’ll see remarkable roster flexibility next season. If Paige KK Ash Ice and Jana start in November, that will only superficially resemble some traditional alignment. And I full expect that lineup to give way to even more flexible units as the freshmen get up to speed and the injured return.

I’m mainly surprised at how so many think of starting lineups only in end-of-season terms. This is interesting and important to fans. But the players also think a lot about how the lineups shake out early and mid season. That is, the season matters a lot to them and how and when they play game by game. This team has a lot of new and refurbished moving parts and it will take some time for Geno to sort it all out — that is, to teach them how to play Husky basketball together.

CL82

Reaction Score
How is this my view?
You articulated it in your post? But feel free to substitute the word "the" for the word "your" if the latter upsets you.

Reaction Score
You articulated it in your post? But feel free to substitute the word "the" for the word "your" if the latter upsets you.
In which of the many posts I’ve foolishly and obsessively written on this question? I’ve begun to forget that they’re only all present in my fevered brain. Thanks for the reminder.

CL82

Reaction Score
In which of the many posts I’ve foolishly and obsessively written on this question? I’ve begun to forget that they’re only all present in my fevered brain. Thanks for the reminder.
The one I quoted?

Lol, relax. Posting on a message board is a conversation not a monologue. The whole point of it is to have an exchange of viewpoints. If you don't want people to comment on your posts, just type them up in Word and save them so you can periodically lovingly gaze at them.
;)

Reaction Score
The one I quoted?
D'oh! I finally see it. Right in front of my face :eek:. I said "playing next to." I merely meant 'next to' in the lineup, not on the floor. Sloppy shorthand, it's my curse. Rest assured I am both in agreement with you about the style of play we're likely to see, and grateful that you noticed my miscue.

Dog Morning GIF

CL82

Reaction Score
. Rest assured I am both in agreement with you about the style of play we're likely to see, and grateful that you noticed my miscue.

I'll sleep better tonight knowing that.

Owns Cristiano Ronaldo GIF

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m not sure exactly what to expect from Jana, but I can see Kaitlyn, KK, and especially Paige driving and dishing. If she can make layups, the Great Pyramid will score.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My biggest concern about Jana, beyond her health, is whether she will be a fouling machine. She appears to be an aggressive player, so she's going to have to learn to be smart on defense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What might it be like for Jana to play with the Huskies? Her experience in high school and for the Egyptian team may not have prepared her for the world of hoops she's about to enter.
  • Geno and CD will expect much from her. She'll be expected to run the floor more vigorously than ever before, to get out on high hedges on defense, to be unafraid to shoot from down low as well as in the mid range and from the perimeter, and to move her feet tirelessly to box out for rebounds.
  • Paige and the rest of the guards will demand much from her, and they'll also get her the ball in surprising ways and in decisive moments. Much will be given to her and much will be expected.
  • Paige and KK and Kaitlyn and Azzi and Sarah will need her to set screens with finesse and power.
  • She will have to develop her own passing game.
  • She'll have to avoid foul trouble.
It ought to be utterly exhilarating for Jana to play at UConn's pace and to take the chances Geno will want her to take. What a grand adventure she's about to undertake.
She's not entering a new world of hoops. She's been here (and practiced) for quite a long time. (Granted she hasn't played in games.) But she's well aware of what is expected of her at UCONN and how UCONN operates.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Expect UConn to play some sort of read and react. With all five players capable of shooting a three take them all outside the arc and nobody is left to protect the paint. Lots of pick and rolls, pick and pop, and back door cuts. Don't clog the paint. With Jana in the game they will spread the court. This will be fun to watch.
Well duh. They have been playing that way for many years now.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern about Jana, beyond her health, is whether she will be a fouling machine. She appears to be an aggressive player, so she's going to have to learn to be smart on defense.
Hopefully, the coaching staff is explaining the whole principles of verticality rule to Jana and that she is studying tapes of post defenders and working on "walling" up. We want her to keep that aggressive nature but channel it in a disciplined manner.

Reaction Score
UConn is no different from a lot of the top teams. USC has 6 freshmen and 2 transfers who are expected to play big roles. NDame has Koval coming in and Miles returning (hopefully).

Defenses do need many hours of practice together but UConn's offense will cover for them until they learn each other. Their depth alone will mean that fresh legs are always on the court.

As for Cheli playing pg, I know she played their last season for the first time but that was by default. Is Geno going to start Bueckers at the wing and entrust Chli with running the team on the floor? I sure hope she's that good but I'd be shocked to see it. It's nice to have 2 or 3 players on the court together with pg skills though. Slotting players into position numbers this season may be impossible. So many multi-skilled players.
What about Chen?

Reaction Score
This isn't the thread for it, but I can hardly wait for the arguments about how Kaitlyn won't be any good, won't see any playing time, won't add anything, etc. It will feel just like two summers ago when half the BY was convinced Lou wouldn't add anything, wouldn't be able to get her shot off, wouldn't be any good, wouldn't get any minutes, etc.

Reaction Score
What about Chen?

I don't know. I don't think it's an issue. UConn has lots of unproven players and rehabbing veterans. That sounds ominous but everyone on the roster has a very high ceiling and while one or two may struggle one or two could reach their ceiling. The freshmen could be starting and be the feature player on most D1 teams.

Until Geno has an idea as to who plays well with who there are too many options to say with any certainty what we will see.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure exactly what to expect from Jana, but I can see Kaitlyn, KK, and especially Paige driving and dishing. If she can make layups, the Great Pyramid will score.
I think she can score in a number of ways, but to your point, watching her guard teammates in her FIBA games was generally very painful. They were terrible directing the offense and getting the ball to Jana, at times looking like they didn't have a clue. Many times the only way Jana could get the ball was to come out and shoot threes. or slash to the basket from the outside.

I wanted to see more of her post up game, but between teams doubling her down low and her team's inability to get her the ball, you didn't have much to form an opinion on her low post abilities, but she scored in many other ways.

Yes I think she will make her layups and benefit greatly from some easy 2's from guards that will benefit her greatly, but I think they also will enable her to show her post up game, and with so many good 3 pt shooters, she won't have to worry about being doubled all the time either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can guarantee that Jana has been attending class at the “Jamelle Elliott Graduate School of Post Play.” That’s the same school where players like Liv, Dorka & Aaliyah learned the intricacies of D1 post play.

As next season gets closer, the lessons will intensify. There will undoubtedly be a hiccup or two as the season starts. But I am confident that Jana will ace the final in March of next year….:)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think she can score in a number of ways, but to your point, watching her guard teammates in her FIBA games was generally very painful. They were terrible directing the offense and getting the ball to Jana, at times looking like they didn't have a clue. Many times the only way Jana could get the ball was to come out and shoot threes. or slash to the basket from the outside.

I wanted to see more of her post up game, but between teams doubling her down low and her team's inability to get her the ball, you didn't have much to form an opinion on her low post abilities, but she scored in many other ways.

Yes I think she will make her layups and benefit greatly from some easy 2's from guards that will benefit her greatly, but I think they also will enable her to show her post up game, and with so many good 3 pt shooters, she won't have to worry about being doubled all the time either.
You can see Jana’s post up game at the link below. Scroll forward to 11:40, for some reason Jana didn’t start - even the commentator was perplexed.

I chose this game because Canada is a well-coached team with 8 players that are either NCAA recruits or just finished their freshman year of college. They are:

Toby Fournier, Duke
Emma Koabel, Duke
Cassandre Prosper, Notre Dame
Syla Swords, Michigan
Achol Akot, UCF
Mary-Anna Asare, VCU
T’yana Todd, Boston College
Marah Dykstra, Montana State

Egypt lost - big time - but Jana had almost half their points with 20 to go with 9 rebounds and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Jane wears #8

Egypt-Canada box score

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom