Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As I stated you are unaware of the entire background. Every university has an obligation to itself. So certainly if UConn were given the opportunity they would have upgraded conferences. In fact they did it when they left the Yankee Conference.
What was specifically underhanded about Pitt was their handling of the BE conference negotiations with ESPN around the time that they were negotiating with the ACC.

Just prior to Cuse and Pitt leaving for the ACC, the BE was in negotiation with ESPN for an new contract. The numbers weren't great but they were a significant upgrade over the previous contract and far greater than was negotiated after Pitt and Cuse bolted.

Three schools vetoed the contract. Georgetown ( who I don't begrudge because they felt the conference should have been valued higher and they had no clue what was going to happen)
Notre Dame ( who also didn't know the unfolding of events and although I have some sour grapes about them having voting privileges despite not being fully in the conference the fault was with the other members for giving them this privilege and not Notre Dame). The third vote against the contract was Pitt who chaired the athletic committee. They were deeply engaged with the ACC at the time of the vote. They couldn't abstain because that would have revealed their move but they could have voted for the contract similarly to what Syracuse did.

In effect they destroyed the remaining teams by leaving the conference and voting against a contract upgrade essentially minimizing any leverage the conference could muster.

14 of the 17 schools that would have been part of that BE TV contract ended up better off leaving the league than they would have been if they signed that deal. UConn, USF and Cincinnati were the only ones hurt by not signing that contract.

Reaction Score
Not sure I buy that moving to the ACC has hurt Pitt. They always stunk in the NCAA tournament. Their NYC pipeline had a lot to do with their assistant coaches. Ok - instead of competing for 1st in the BE they are competing for 3-4 in the ACC, but that is still good enough to be a Final Four team.

Reaction Score
Pitt isn't competing for 3rd or 4th ... in today's ACC, they're slotted at 6th to 11.

Yes. They were a great BE squad ... That failed often in March

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
14 of the 17 schools that would have been part of that BE TV contract ended up better off leaving the league than they would have been if they signed that deal. UConn, USF and Cincinnati were the only ones hurt by not signing that contract.
The current group that calls themselves the BE is making more than 14-17 million dollars per school which was the supposed contract the pre breakup BE was negotiating?

Reaction Score
The current group that calls themselves the BE is making more than 14-17 million dollars per school which was the supposed contract the pre breakup BE was negotiating?
the current members of BE are not making 14-17 million / year - it's more like 3-4 million

ctchamps

Reaction Score
the current members of BE are not making 14-17 million / year - it's more like 3-4 million
Exactly. But it was reported that the pre break up BE was negotiating a significantly higher monetary number than this refuting the statement nelson made to me.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Exactly. But it was reported that the pre break up BE was negotiating a significantly higher monetary number than this refuting the statement nelson made to me.
For the schools that played football it was about 13-14 million a year if I recall. The Catholic schools supposedly wanted a similar amount, which was a problem when they were not providing that content or undergoing the same expenses.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
For the schools that played football it was about 13-14 million a year if I recall. The Catholic schools supposedly wanted a similar amount, which was a problem when they were not providing that content or undergoing the same expenses.
That contract sounds about right. All but Pitt, Georgetown and ND supported that contract and the tiered payment. ND was in the drivers seat. They had/have a lucrative arrangement with NBC. Why not see if you can get more? Georgetown supposedly didn't object to the tiered arrangement. Just felt the conference was undervalued. UConn, Ville, WV, Cin, Cuse and the little peeps supported the contract. Pitt is the major villein with regards to this imo. They should have voted for it knowing they were going to bolt.

Seeing Pitt with a few more years in bb and football purgatory would make me happy. I waiver between being magnanimous versus seeing Pitt end up like BCU. If you believe this I have a turkey sandwich with ketchup I'm offering @August_West for a grand that I can offer you instead.

Reaction Score
All these takes suggesting that Pitt is in trouble or that they can't be higher than the 6th best program in the ACC are both wrong AND missing the point. It's great.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
3103122-captain-obvious.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The contract was for $110-$125MM a year for the entire league. I don't know why it was a range. In any event, you do the math of $110MM by 17 teams and tell me how much the hoops teams were going to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom