Jamie Dixon to TCU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jamie Dixon to TCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On a slightly serious note. What is Howland up to? Not sure if that was brought up already. Did he leave on good terms?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On a slightly serious note. What is Howland up to? Not sure if that was brought up already. Did he leave on good terms?

Howland is HC at Mississippi State. A few people on the Pitt boards brought his name up, but he didn't leave on great terms, although that was under a different AD. Don't think that's the play AD Barnes has in mind. The Pitt insiders are strongly hinting Sean Miller is coming home.

Reaction Score
Howland is HC at Mississippi State. A few people on the Pitt boards brought his name up, but he didn't leave on great terms, although that was under a different AD. Don't think that's the play AD Barnes has in mind. The Pitt insiders are strongly hinting Sean Miller is coming home.

Would be shocked if Miller left AZ

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Dixon had Pitt a legit national title contender, especially in '09. Was bad luck against Villanova, not a choke job. They've fallen off since then, but not sure that's an indication of a hard ceiling

Reaction Score
Miller to Pitt would be insane. That would be like leaving UNC for...Pitt.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Anyway, they're obviously hiring KO.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looking at recruiting, that bastard Dixon didn't even have a single recruit worth trying to poach.

Reaction Score
Barry Rohrssen - aka Slice - was his NYC guy. He then went to Manhattan as HC - flunked out. He's now at St Johns after a year at Kentucky.

Sean Miller ain't leaving Arizona for his alma mater

Reaction Score
You're equating Arizona to UNC?

Leaving the flagship school of a conference for like 7th on the totem pole. not sure UCLA has the pull that Arizona has these days, but regardless of that it would be an insane jump.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Leaving the flagship school of a conference for like 7th on the totem pole. not sure UCLA has the pull that Arizona has these days.

I guess in that respect. But that's like equating Gonzaga to UNC then, too. UNC is a destination job. It's up there with Kentucky, Kansas, and... Gulp... Duke. There aren't many of them. I wouldn't put Arizona on that level.

But you're right, leaving Arizona for Pitt would be mind numbingly stupid.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Pitt AD and Jamie Dixon

0ZIlxiLc.gif

Reaction Score
Looking at recruiting, that bastard Dixon didn't even have a single recruit worth trying to poach.
A couple nice juniors in the front court though. Is a coach leaving typically justification for immediate eligibility? I know Oriakhi was a different situation because of the ban.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dixon had Pitt a legit national title contender, especially in '09. Was bad luck against Villanova, not a choke job. They've fallen off since then, but not sure that's an indication of a hard ceiling

I knew this would happen when Pitt left the Big East. When they were playing in the New York area against St. Johns, Seton Hall and Rutgers, plus the BET, Pitt had a recruiting advantage over the rest of the country and they exploited it. Since they left the Big East, Pitt is just another school trying to recruit NYC, along with every other school. Pitt is not exactly a sought after destination for high school recruits, and western PA is one of the oldest regions in the country demographically so it is not producing much in the way of talent. Pitt is in a very tough conference and does not have a single natural advantage against any of the top 2/3's of its league.

Pitt had a few teams that could have won it all or at least made a Final Four, but those days are over. Pitt is on a downward trajectory.

Reaction Score
I knew this would happen when Pitt left the Big East. When they were playing in the New York area against St. Johns, Seton Hall and Rutgers, plus the BET, Pitt had a recruiting advantage over the rest of the country and they exploited it. Since they left the Big East, Pitt is just another school trying to recruit NYC, along with every other school. Pitt is not exactly a sought after destination for high school recruits, and western PA is one of the oldest regions in the country demographically so it is not producing much in the way of talent. Pitt is in a very tough conference and does not have a single natural advantage against any of the top 2/3's of its league.

Pitt had a few teams that could have won it all or at least made a Final Four, but those days are over. Pitt is on a downward trajectory.
Just another example--along with BC--of the ACC's short-sightedness.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We would of done the same. No hard feelings. They were solid rivals.
As I stated you are unaware of the entire background. Every university has an obligation to itself. So certainly if UConn were given the opportunity they would have upgraded conferences. In fact they did it when they left the Yankee Conference.
What was specifically underhanded about Pitt was their handling of the BE conference negotiations with ESPN around the time that they were negotiating with the ACC.

Just prior to Cuse and Pitt leaving for the ACC, the BE was in negotiation with ESPN for an new contract. The numbers weren't great but they were a significant upgrade over the previous contract and far greater than was negotiated after Pitt and Cuse bolted.

Three schools vetoed the contract. Georgetown ( who I don't begrudge because they felt the conference should have been valued higher and they had no clue what was going to happen)
Notre Dame ( who also didn't know the unfolding of events and although I have some sour grapes about them having voting privileges despite not being fully in the conference the fault was with the other members for giving them this privilege and not Notre Dame). The third vote against the contract was Pitt who chaired the athletic committee. They were deeply engaged with the ACC at the time of the vote. They couldn't abstain because that would have revealed their move but they could have voted for the contract similarly to what Syracuse did.

In effect they destroyed the remaining teams by leaving the conference and voting against a contract upgrade essentially minimizing any leverage the conference could muster.

Reaction Score
As I stated you are unaware of the entire background. Every university has an obligation to itself. So certainly if UConn were given the opportunity they would have upgraded conferences. In fact they did it when they left the Yankee Conference.
What was specifically underhanded about Pitt was their handling of the BE conference negotiations with ESPN around the time that they were negotiating with the ACC.

Just prior to Cuse and Pitt leaving for the ACC, the BE was in negotiation with ESPN for an new contract. The numbers weren't great but they were a significant upgrade over the previous contract and far greater than was negotiated after Pitt and Cuse bolted.

Three schools vetoed the contract. Georgetown ( who I don't begrudge because they felt the conference should have been valued higher and they had no clue what was going to happen)
Notre Dame ( who also didn't know the unfolding of events and although I have some sour grapes about them having voting privileges despite not being fully in the conference the fault was with the other members for giving them this privilege and not Notre Dame). The third vote against the contract was Pitt who chaired the athletic committee. They were deeply engaged with the ACC at the time of the vote. They couldn't abstain because that would have revealed their move but they could have voted for the contract similarly to what Syracuse did.

In effect they destroyed the remaining teams by leaving the conference and voting against a contract upgrade essentially minimizing any leverage the conference could muster.
I vaguely remember that, but not to the detail you provided. Dirty move on Pitts part, but I still root for them over the traditional ACC teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well this is further proof that UConn is going to the Big XII. Right, Conspiracy Kitty? @CL82 Follow me on this: Dixon recruits NYC. Dixon leaves a conference that has access to NYC to go to a league without access to NYC. Why? Because TCU told him that UConn will be joining and therefore he will still get to use the pitch that their parents/family will get to drive to see them play at least once a year.
I assume we let Kansas win the other day in exchange for an invite to their conference?
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Shhhhh! Part of the deal is that we don't discuss it. Don't blow this thing for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3