James Bouknight Unofficial Today (6/12) | The Boneyard

James Bouknight Unofficial Today (6/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Mike Yagmin of NERR actually updated me on Bouknight last week. He had surgery to repair a meniscus injury following the end of the prep season, which is why he hasn't played for PSA in the EYBL yet. He may return for Peach Jam, but they're understandably being very cautious with him. He spoke highly of Bouknight's work ethic too. He recently took an unofficial to UMass.

Reaction Score
Commitment today?
Wouldn't doubt it. The kids already taken a number of visits. Not sure whether official or unofficial, but could be he wants to wrap things up early. Regardless, would certainly be a nice piece in the class and a great way to start things off.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't doubt it. The kids already taken a number of visits. Not sure whether official or unofficial, but could be he wants to wrap things up early. Regardless, would certainly be a nice piece in the class and a great way to start things off.
And he was being recruited by Kimani Young already when he was at Minnesota

Reaction Score
This is from Saturday and supposedly after he finished a workout. Seems like the knee is healing well so far.

I’m not sure about the likelihood of a commit today. He may want to see if he can get more interest by playing well for PSA this summer. There’s also the chance that Hurley will want to wait to see him play as well before accepting an injured player. It seems like Bouknight intends to play in Nike’s Peach Jam.

Kenneth Gucc Robinson on Twitter
Coach Neek ❗️ on Twitter

Reaction Score
A lot of love for Kimani from Bouknight's mentor in this article on Minnesota's rivals site. Article is from last October:

"Kimani Young has a great relationship with PSA and the MacDuffie School," Bouknight's mentor, Shaun Hicks, told The Gopher Report. "Macduffie always has an open gym for college coaches to go there and see the players. Minnesota came in about three weeks ago, and liked him. They offered him on the spot."

"Kimani (Young) has a great relationship with AAU programs and high school teams in the city. He's from here. He's a New York guy."

"Kimani has Minnesota in a great spot in New York City," Hicks added. "There are a couple of players from here on that roster. With Isaiah playing there, lots of people from this area will be keeping up with them and watching them on television."

Reaction Score
This is from Saturday and supposedly after he finished a workout. Seems like the knee is healing well so far.

I’m not sure about the likelihood of a commit today. He may want to see if he can get more interest by playing well for PSA this summer. There’s also the chance that Hurley will want to wait to see him play as well before accepting an injured player. It seems like Bouknight intends to play in Nike’s Peach Jam.

Kenneth Gucc Robinson on Twitter
Coach Neek ❗️ on Twitter

He's still naturally landing on one foot. Needs to retrain that if he wants to avoid injury.

I think we probably try to hold out for bigger fish. Would be a nice pick up if he's stays healthy though.

Reaction Score
Effortless James would be a great way to kick off the class. He and B Adams would be a big backcourt.

Reaction Score
He's still naturally landing on one foot. Needs to retrain that if he wants to avoid injury.

I think we probably try to hold out for bigger fish. Would be a nice pick up if he's stays healthy though.
There really isn't a ton of guard depth in '19. If he wants to commit I think it'd be dangerous to hold off. We know how that goes i.e. Bruce Brown

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
Really? Dude is Top 80 on 247 and checks off plenty of needs.
He doesn’t have the offers of a top 100 kid, he’s coming off knee surgery, and as husky pointed out he’s still landing in a way that puts him at risk. Not sure how he deserves an eye roll for having that opinion.

Rankings aren’t everything.

Reaction Score
We need to land a big time PG for 2019.
That’s the absolute 1st priority.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
There really isn't a ton of guard depth in '19. If he wants to commit I think it'd be dangerous to hold off. We know how that goes i.e. Bruce Brown
He's the top prospect in New England a top 75 kid, if he wants to commit you take it. 6'5 athletic guards don't grow on trees.

Reaction Score
Yes he can.

This is a GREAT prospect. Has NBA upside with his size and athleticism.

I have seen him play a few times. And watched highlights, all that good stuff. He is not a "shooter" by any means. Taking threes, and making them consistently are two different things. He is a skinny 6'4 slasher that lacks some playmaking and shooting ability. The local recruiting services have him 6th in New England--outside the top 100, but probably better than 200. Certainly a good player, but currently a 3*.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect. Lots of potential and athleticism if that knee heals. But not someone that the program can't get later, or find someone who has the same skill set later. I would never take a risk on a non-immediate-impact player with an injury like that.

That being said, if Hurley's strategy is to sign the first kid that wants UConn, I'm all for it. We've had our fair share of failures after waiting for bigger fish before. I trust the new staff'read on the situation more than the old.

Not a lot of guards in this class either. Could be worth the risk.

Reaction Score
He's the top prospect in New England a top 75 kid, if he wants to commit you take it. 6'5 athletic guards don't grow on trees.

He's not the top prospect in new england. He's also not a top 75 recruit on any recruiting site. I think the best is 76.

Why can't you realistically evaluate players. Not everyone is the next MJ.

He is currently a high-risk/high-reward athletic wing. I can confidently say he won't be leading an offense any time soon and THAT should be our #1 2019 priority imo.

Also, one of his knocks is consistent competitiveness. That seems like the type of thing to instantly turn off Hurley. Though to be fair, that's Precious Achiuwa's problem sometimes, and Hurley is still making him one of our top targets

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I liked his athleticism and skill combo too, but we don’t know how bad his injury was or how he has recovered. Who cares what his ranking is if he’s going to struggle to stay healthy? And if he’s worthy of his ranking, why is our stiffest competition for him UMass and VCU? Tons of red flags here. I trust DH’s judgment, but this isn’t as cut and dry as you’re making it out to be.

Reaction Score

Bruce Brown had a man's body though. I don't see that with Bouknight. Injury history as well.

I trust Hurley to not be the dip that Ollie was regarding recruiting.

Agree to disagree on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc