James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown | Page 15 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Depends on the veracity and severity of the rumored Ewing misconduct. Could be rumored misconduct just like it was rumored that Akinjo was "on a list" floated around campus. Could also be an ex post facto justification from a minor incident.

In that case, I'd be pretty pissed that he's bailing on the team mid-season because they booted his friend off the team for very legitimate reasons. He's entitled to do it, but doesn't mean fans can't think less of him for doing so.

Again, the above is based on a scenario in which his leaving was not especially provoked.
I'm all in favor of kids making decisions they think are best for their lives whether or not it affects my basketball team. Thinking less of a young man or woman's character for making the best decisions for themselves because it hurts the amateur sports team you follow is bad fandom.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
1) Transfers to UConn don't get waivers

2) Always thought it was ridiculous that a player has to sit out a year but a Coach can pick up and leave.

C

Chief00

Hit 27k views and almost 350 replies in 24 hours - Thanks for all who participated - James Akinjo is done with Georgetown and he ain’t coming here.

Agree, good thread and had breaking news added as some information was revealed. It’s tough for NBA guys to make the transition to college coach - especially given the current environment of colleges.

Reaction Score
This thread has gone Full Yard with room to spare!

15 pages of accusations ranging from sexual assault to weed smoking weed. Evidence? Reddit.....G D Reddit

Ollie has no eye for talent. Yes he does, but he can't coach.

Vance Jackson is a bum

The College Kid may be innocent but homesick.

15 pages, and counting, and the kid probably can't transfer here. Of course, we have no reason the think he would if he could...........which he probably can't,

Damn, this is the Yard in full bloom. All that's missing is a reference to AO's dad and which school Kasongo will pick.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

15 pages of accusations ranging from sexual assault to weed smoking weed. Evidence? Reddit.....G D Reddit

Vance Jackson is a bum

15 pages, and counting, and the kid probably can't transfer here. Of course, we have no reason the think he would if he could...........which he probably can't,

Damn, this is the Yard in full bloom. All that's missing is a reference to AO's dad and which school Kasongo will pick.
Read this while having pizza and drinking beer.

Reaction Score
LMAO. Georgetown hasn't said a single bad word about Akinjo. The people who have defamed him are message board posters here who think it's fair to speculate anonymously where they have no basis to do so.
Right? Holy cats, sometimes this board is like 3rd grade(I heard he killed 2 people).

C

Chief00

No he wasn't. He absolutely sucked for two years. Didn't mean he didn't have potential to get better
He had no meaningful Bigs coaching while at UConn. He didn’t suck anymore than anyone else on a losing team - Chief said he was good at the time, he just wasn’t utilized right. He has played well at Louisville from the get go.

Reaction Score
He had no meaningful Bigs coaching while at UConn. He didn’t suck anymore than anyone else on a losing team - Chief said he was good at the time, he just wasn’t utilized right. He has played well at Louisville from the get go.
Where was Howie Dickenman when we needed him most? I know retired.

C

Chief00

Where was Howie Dickenman when we needed him most? I know retired.
The thing that held back Steve the most at UConn was he didn’t process defensive concepts in real time. With good Bigs coaching that’s correctable.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It’s a hardship. His coach was disrespectful to his deceased mother. He should be able to play wherever he wants after that.
Hardship has zero to do with the BE rules we have agreed to follow.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Seriously? Waivers aren't voted on by the public. The NCAA doesn't make decisions based on what decisions are discussed on bulletin boards based on the PR.
While this is true, it seems to me the NCAA makes decisions based on whatever criteria they feel like pulling out of the hat for each case.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why would we want Akinjo here? If you guys have problems with Gilbert's and Vital's shot selection, watch Akinjo chuck 25 foot pullups against double teams for 35 minutes a game.

Akinjo belongs on a mid major team where he can take 25 shots a game and no one will care if he misses 20 of them every third game. He was shooting 33.7% from the field and 24.2% from 3.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

Vance Jackson is a bum

No one does it better than us.

Reaction Score
Why would we want Akinjo here? If you guys have problems with Gilbert's and Vital's shot selection, watch Akinjo chuck 25 foot pullups against double teams for 35 minutes a game.

Akinjo belongs on a mid major team where he can take 25 shots a game and no one will care if he misses 20 of them every third game. He was shooting 33.7% from the field and 24.2% from 3.
If he ends up getting coached by Mark Few, this may end up looking like a hot take. But it’s true that currently, he’s still plagued by the same inefficiencies he was in HS.

Reaction Score
He would have fouled out is 20 minutes if he got that much time.

Reaction Score
While this is true, it seems to me the NCAA makes decisions based on whatever criteria they feel like pulling out of the hat for each case.

Example A of your thought was on display in the Cincinnati game the other night. Their brand spanking new 7 foot center came across the river from the University of Northern Kentucky (along with UC's brand spanking new coach) and was immediately eligible.
How does that reconcile with denying the waiver request of Evina Westbrook, for one example, who left after the coach was fired and, allegedly, as a result of some untoward circumstances at Tennessee?
I keep wondering when a school might take the NCAA to court for making arbitrary and capricious decisions that benefit some while harming others.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Example A of your thought was on display in the Cincinnati game the other night. Their brand spanking new 7 foot center came across the river from the University of Northern Kentucky (along with UC's brand spanking new coach) and was immediately eligible.
How does that reconcile with denying the waiver request of Evina Westbrook, for one example, who left after the coach was fired and, allegedly, as a result of some untoward circumstances at Tennessee?
I keep wondering when a school might take the NCAA to court for making arbitrary and capricious decisions that benefit some while harming others.

Arbitrary and capricious? You do know the NCAA is not a government agency, right?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm all in favor of kids making decisions they think are best for their lives whether or not it affects my basketball team. Thinking less of a young man or woman's character for making the best decisions for themselves because it hurts the amateur sports team you follow is bad fandom.

Im with you in general. But not an overall fan of essentially quitting mid season.

But I Guess that’s kind of the nature of the beast when your season spans both semesters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom