James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown | Page 13 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Leaving Georgetown

Reaction Score
Dang, Akinjo got dragged in this thread and he didn't even do anything.
If defamation lawsuits didn’t involve such a huge burden of proof for the plaintiff (prohibitive compared to others), I would file a complaint against GTown if I were Akinjo. Seriously, so messed up everyone had been talking about him as some kind of criminal since this broke the way the news was released by GTown.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If defamation lawsuits didn’t involve such a huge burden of proof for the plaintiff (prohibitive compared to others), I would file a complaint against GTown if I were Akinjo. Seriously, so messed up everyone had been talking about him as some kind of criminal since this broke the way the news was released by GTown.
They didn't defame him. Still it was a crappy think to do, IMO.

Reaction Score

LMAO. Georgetown hasn't said a single bad word about Akinjo. The people who have defamed him are message board posters here who think it's fair to speculate anonymously where they have no basis to do so.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not saying starting at all but they all have some game to offer a deep program. I admitted he didn't do a good job with high end recruits although he did have some misfortune there too, but he had an eye for talent nonetheless..
Of course he did. He brought in Enoch, Jalen, Alterique and Juwan before his divorce caused him to implode where he took it out on everyone. A decent core of players transferred because things got so bad. It left KO scrambling and he was only able to get 3 star players and bodies from Junior Colleges or post grads.

The AD got on his case, he managed a modicum of change and got in Akinjo, Mathews and Wilson. He lost out on some guy$ (Diallo, Stone) that would have had a big impact but so did Hurley (Kofi, Thomas, maybe Precious). He had a commitment that would have been a great center who went berserk and is now in jail.

Two of his stars (JD and AG) suffered from injuries. The BY blamed KO for recruiting players with injuries. Glad Hurley ignored us and took in Bouknight.

Pre divorce he related really well with players and, unless you subscribe to the theory he was not involved with coaching those players, they significantly improved during his tenure from where they were while JC was coaching. Given Christmas is around the corner I guess we can say we had an immaculate national championship. At the very least he can coach up Calhoun's players but there are jaded people who won't even go that far.

We have some time remaining before the jury is out on Al, Josh and Tyler.

IMO Kevin knows talent and had the ability to coach. After his divorce he became an angry man and lost his ability to relate to people. I wanted him replaced because the program could not afford to wait to find out if he could regain that attribute which he had his first two years of coaching. I don't need to rewrite events because I was upset with his last two seasons.

Reaction Score
They didn't defame him. Still it was a crappy think to do, IMO.
You don’t think it implies that he was part of the group of dudes that assaulted someone, committed burglary, etc? I mean, you have to go someplace else to put put together the police blotter but by putting them together, you kind of assume Akinjo was part of the criminal piece and somehow just hadn’t been charged yet.
We all spent all morning thinking he did something pretty awful. Then wondering why he wasn’t mentioned... he now has to clarify all of that. It’s pretty crummy.
It drags him through the mud, calls him into question. They implied something that wasn’t true about him to make him look bad. What would you call that?

Reaction Score
LMAO. Georgetown hasn't said a single bad word about Akinjo. The people who have defamed him are message board posters here who think it's fair to speculate anonymously where they have no basis to do so.
Excellent point!! All they said is he is no longer with the team. The rest of the world are the ones drawing all the inferences (myself included). The school appears to have many issues with this whole situation, but thus far, none of them seem to be defaming Akinjo.

Reaction Score
You don’t think it implies that he was part of the group of dudes that assaulted someone, committed burglary, etc? I mean, you have to go someplace else to put put together the police blotter but by putting them together, you kind of assume Akinjo was part of the criminal piece and somehow just hadn’t been charged yet.
We all spent all morning thinking he did something pretty awful. Then wondering why he wasn’t mentioned... he now has to clarify all of that. It’s pretty crummy.
It drags him through the mud, calls him into question. They implied something that wasn’t true about him to make him look bad. What would you call that?

It was pointed out he wasn't mentioned in any of the criminal reports or articles last night. If you "spent all morning" thinking otherwise, that's on you.

Amazing how everyone needs to blame someone else for being all too happy to criticize others anonymously.

Reaction Score

One of the key elements to a defamation claim is that the statement must be false. Unless I missed it, Georgetown didn't make any false statement(s) regarding James Akinjo. Accordingly, any defamation claim is without merit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be defamation; it would be a "false light" claim, but what Georgetown has done here still doesn't come close to that.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Reports are saying Akinjo was thinking of leaving before this mess. And the Hoyas have also released that he had nothing to do with the burglary and assault. Ultimate frisbee champ, ‘Zags’, has thrown St Mary’s in the mix as well as Gonzaga

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
All of the Ollie talk made me think of Vance Jackson. I thought he was gonna be great, and so did his pops. He’s averaging 6 pts a game as a JR for New Mexico. Nice going Vance Sr

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh fair's got nothing to with it.

C

Chief00

The kids good so put away that eye for talent part. And the kid Matthews that was heading here too from the top 200 area is getting 10 and 5 under Huggins. Vital is pretty good. Carlton is pretty good. Polley is pretty good as is Gilbert. So let's leave that alone because you're wrong. Having said that, development you're not wrong on and actually getting recruits who were rated higher, not enough of them.
I agree, KO’s biggest issue was developing talent and running a program.

Reaction Score
All of the Ollie talk made me think of Vance Jackson. I thought he was gonna be great, and so did his pops. He’s averaging 6 pts a game as a JR for New Mexico. Nice going Vance Sr
None of them have been great, it's basically a mix of some solid players and some busts. Akinjo is the best of the bunch and he's a fairly low percentage gunner. Enoch, Durham, Emmitt Matthews all decent rotation players. Vance regressing into a bust, Prince Ali kind of a bust. Turtle Jackson, MAL, Kisunas total busts. Zach Brown, don't even ask.

Reaction Score
The MEAC is really bad basketball. Not only that his team was 10-23 and 17-17. So he was the best player on a bad and average team in a horrible conference. Most schools in the MEAC lose to good division 2’s. Hopefully he provides some shooting and another ball handler. Akinjo was freshman of the year in the big East. His shooting numbers do suck tho.

Yeah PG is a big concern for me next year. Gaffney hasn't shown it (yet), and Cole may or may not pan out. Might the difference between being a good, and a great team. Adams, Bouk can run the point some, but neither are a guy who will break down defense and lead a team.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not much for Ollie's 'eye for talent' either. I mean while Hurley seems to be getting every drop out of these guys that he possibly can - they're almost all deeply flawed players. Carlton can't finish at the rim and just refuses to realize that he is, in fact - a very large man. Vital is a super plucky, fun shooter who can get into lanes, steal and generate turnovers with a high motor. But he's also got the basketball IQ of a grapefruit (I weirdly love him for that, too). Polley's a good spot shooter - but he's not that athletic and completely disappears at times. Whaley has evolved into an ok-ish bench piece, but I really don't know what else is in there and rough stuff is that it'd be hard for him to make a really good UConn team.

Gilbert was a McDonald's All American, so I'm not sure i'd count that.

Ollie's real flaw though - was just a general inability to manage the nuts and bolts of a program and deal with the administrative/management of the program. Surrounding yourself with good assistants and trusting in them. Connecting with alumni. Leveraging assets like Calhoun. Round-the-clock attitude towards recruiting. Having support pieces in place to help develop guys. Keeping an eye on compliance stuff. Like w/ his NCAA violations - I never looked at them as him ever doing something intentionally sinister but rather him just being a disorganized, aloof mess. All the other problems directly stemmed from that

Countless guys totally plateau'd under him and there were guys I feel like - that even when they were good - I couldn't help but feel like we could have gotten more out of them. The 2015 team should have been much better. 2016 should have been much better. I always think and wonder what life would be like had Dan Hurley had guys like Facey, Calhoun, Purvis and Gibbs.

Then there was the day-to-day doting over the guys that you kind of have to do. "Hey dummy, did you get into the weight room today?" That kind of stuff. Just so many little things that I feel like just got away from him.

Then from a mental approach, I heard a lot from people that we was too much like the brawny NBA journeyman vet taking rookies under his wing than he was as the father figure/tough love figure that you usually need at the college level. Too much 'lets be friends' than 'let me teach you.' But. That's what he knew, so it's not surprising.

But overall the guy just wasn't really ready to lead a program of this caliber. Lacked the management skill, didn't really understand the energy and effort it took behind the scenes, didn't have much of a taste for details of the day to day, and generally lacked the feel for managing college kids. He was just a bad fit.

A bad person? Eh - the lawsuit pissed me off. But whatever. I think he's a pretty good dude. Just in no way ready for this level of basketball. Had enough to fake it and even contribute in year-1 and year-2, but the further we got away from JC, the more layers of the onion peeled back and we got what we got.

Brilliant post. Should be its own thread and pinned.

Reaction Score
None of them have been great, it's basically a mix of some solid players and some busts. Akinjo is the best of the bunch and he's a fairly low percentage gunner. Enoch, Durham, Emmitt Matthews all decent rotation players. Vance regressing into a bust, Prince Ali kind of a bust. Turtle Jackson, MAL, Kisunas total busts. Zach Brown, don't even ask.

Ollie seemed to have a knack for landing guys who were pretty highly ranked without any sort of substance behind it. Really had an eye for seeing through the rankings and consistently locking down overrated recruits

Reaction Score

Pretty accurate assessment, though to be fair, I'm pretty sure we mutually parted ways with Jackson once he was completely exposed on the AAU circuit.

Decommits from Prince Ali and MAL are like getting shot down by the ugly friend at the bar. Just embarrassing for KO all around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom