James Akinjo Announcing today 9/11/17 at 5 PM Eastern Time | Page 4 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Announcing today 9/11/17 at 5 PM Eastern Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Exactly. Plus, he's not the kind of athlete that a guy like Kemba was.
He's more athletic than kemba. Jalen also has size. The first half of last year jalen was sloppy. Second half he was very good even if he wasn't healthy. You don't need to be a pure pg in the league

Reaction Score
Jalen is quite athletic but does not come close to Kemba's stamina. What Kemba did in the BE tournament was Herculean.
When I think of athletic ability stamina doesn't come into play.

Reaction Score
He's more athletic than kemba. Jalen also has size. The first half of last year jalen was sloppy. Second half he was very good even if he wasn't healthy. You don't need to be a pure pg in the league
Kemba is faster and probably has just as good a vertical but Jalen obviously has better size. Jalen is a damn good athlete though, not sure what angle that guy is coming from.

pj

Reaction Score
It takes a lot of strength to make the quick change of direction moves Kemba made to free himself -- e.g. the winner against Pitt, where he goes forward hard enough to convince the defender, then stops his momentum and jumps backward far enough in one push on the floor to get 4-5 feet of separation. Stephan Curry has that kind of strength. Jalen is nowhere close.

Jalen needs to improve strength and conditioning, but he has the size and athleticism to go to the NBA. Having more talent around him will help reduce turnovers. Team success and ability to build chemistry with strong teammates will persuade the NBA scouts that he can play there.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
y
Jalen is quite athletic but does not come close to Kemba's stamina. What Kemba did in the BE tournament was Herculean.

It might be overlooked by many, but it could be said the amount of time/energy that Jalen gave us last year when we decimated by injury could be considered Herculean as well. (unfortunately the team just didn't have the same results)

Reaction Score
Kemba was a good deal quicker than Jalen. The biggest difference between them at this stage is Jalen has never shown he can take contact and finish, Kemba was a master at this. Jalen desperately needs to figure out how to seek out contact instead of avoiding it, his game will go to a different level if this is corrected.

Reaction Score
The one thing I love both about Kemba and Jalen.... They got that DOG in them... They want the big moment... Kemba already made it...It's Jalen's turn... If this kid James Akinjo comes to Storrs too, he'll get his shot to be like those 2 as well....

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

I know, I'm judging the kid by a youtube video, but he definitely has a 'craftiness' or 'savviness' to his game that we haven't seen here since Shabazz. Just a smart player who is always a step ahead of his man on the floor. May not be the most gifted, but it doesn't matter to players like him because he's playing chess while everyone is playing checkers.

Stoked to have Akinjo... if things come to fruition.

Reaction Score
Kemba was a good deal quicker than Jalen. The biggest difference between them at this stage is Jalen has never shown he can take contact and finish, Kemba was a master at this. Jalen desperately needs to figure out how to seek out contact instead of avoiding it, his game will go to a different level if this is corrected.
Was gonna say kemba had unreal body control and his ability to play through contact was unreal.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
His game looks a little Bazz-like as well. The video below from the Peach Jam is pretty good. He's not Kemba or AG quick, but he's got a good handle and enough shake and bake to find space for a shot. He doesn't look 6 ft tall so he's gonna need that floater coming down main street.

The one thing that stuck out in the video is that he is not afraid to shoot it from a couple of feet beyond the arc. During Shabazz's freshman year, I was shocked he had the manlihood to pull up 24ish footers early in the shot clock. Calhoun did not take kindly to a freshman hoisting those and I was impressed that Bazz had the stones to take the shot, knowing that he was going to ride the pine if it didn't fall.

Everyone is looking for a big splash/top 15ish kid, and I think putting together a good class helps create gravity for the top recruits to come our way. I hope Akinjo plays for UCONN and I hope he helps our plans for attracting more talent.

You can win a lot of games stringing hits together, without a big fly. This would be a double or triple. Get 'er done!

As for the video, a lot to like there. Pull ups and floaters, dump-downs after drawing the defense, able to finish in the lane among the trees, smooth looking jump shot out to deep, drives under control, can continue or pull up as needed. Not unlike Napier.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
That extra 3-4 points per game that kemba and bazz were able to get at the line were huge. Can't stress enough how much that was a key to so many of our wins in 11 and 14. Drives me nuts watching Adams completely avoid contact. He has to embrace it and learn to get free points at the charity stripe. Not to mention the value of getting opposing team in foul trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99