Jalen Hood-Schifino decommits from Pitt | The Boneyard

Jalen Hood-Schifino decommits from Pitt

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have no idea but this makes me think of the Pittsburgh fans who convinced themselves that Jeff Capel was the better option over Dan Hurley and was their #1 all along.

Capel will be fine. He's a solid guy. Likely won't reach Hurley heights, but he'll make Pitt competitive again after the Stallings disaster.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone want Capel coaching their program over Hurley?

When I first read the post above I thought it stated some of the Boneyarders stated that- I reread it & it was Pittsburgh fans- that made much more sense!

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Capel will be fine. He's a solid guy. Likely won't reach Hurley heights, but he'll make Pitt competitive again after the Stallings disaster.

Very good guy but I see it ending in disaster at Pitt. Capel isn’t recruiting for Duke anymore. Pitt’s a great academic institution but the campus is a dump outside 2-3 pretty spots and they have really no NBA tradition, as the only regular that they have in the league (Steven Adams) wrote in his book how much he hated his experience there. Their class last year was a fringe top 25 class, but that’s moreso due to the fact that they brought in 5 kids rather than the quality of the recruits. I think he gets one more mulligan year before the seat starts to heat up.

I have no idea but this makes me think of the Pittsburgh fans who convinced themselves that Jeff Capel was the better option over Dan Hurley and was their #1 all along.

Many of my friends are delusional Pitt fans and, to this very day, they are convinced that either Capel was their true target or that he is better than Hurley anyway. It’s some absolutely galaxy-brained stuff. I can’t get enough Pitt schadenfreude

Reaction Score
Jeff Capel is very well respected by his peers . He knows what needs to be done to run a program , his future is extremely bright …I just don't think that future is at PITT,

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
they have really no NBA tradition, as the only regular that they have in the league (Steven Adams) wrote in his book how much he hated his experience there.

Charles Smith, Sam Young, Von Cummings, Mark Blount, Dejuan Blair, Eric Mobley, Jerome Lane, Aaron Gray all had good runs in the league, and then my Celtic Brad Wannamaker
Steve Adams didn't want to listen to and be disciplined by Jamie Dixon

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Well he better make it work. His future isn't at Duke that's for sure.
That's why he still isn't there - Capel decided he wouldn't blow smoke up K's butt anymore.
Never thought much of Capel's coaching ability and still can't figure out why Pitt reached out to him

Reaction Score
they have really no NBA tradition, as the only regular that they have in the league (Steven Adams) wrote in his book how much he hated his experience there.

Charles Smith, Sam Young, Von Cummings, Mark Blount, Dejuan Blair, Eric Mobley, Jerome Lane, Aaron Gray all had good runs in the league, and then my Celtic Brad Wannamaker
You named a bunch of dudes who aren’t in the NBA lmaoo. They have NO NBA PRESENCE. Was the correct statement

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Jeff Capel is very well respected by his peers . He knows what needs to be done to run a program , his future is extremely bright …I just don't think that future is at PITT,
We know he had the bag out in a major way at OU. Not clear Pitt has the booster muscle or desire to provide comparable results.

Reaction Score
That's why he still isn't there - Capel decided he wouldn't blow smoke up K's butt anymore.
Never thought much of Capel's coaching ability and still can't figure out why Pitt reached out to him

Pitt reaches out to him because this NJ coach decided to stay in NE versus taking his talents to Pitt (thank god)

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

Not one of those guys, outside of Adams, is the type who you would use to promote a program. I suppose I should have worded it differently, but the point remains that they don’t have much of a sales pitch to convince kids there’s a Pitt to the NBA pipeline available to them.

We know he had the bag out in a major way at OU. Not clear Pitt has the booster muscle or desire to provide comparable results.

The chatter locally was that the school ruffled feathers and alienated some big time boosters when they disbanded an influential booster club several years ago to try and get away from some rogue practices. For such a big school, they really don’t have much a presence locally and are an afterthought behind the pro teams and even PSU.

Reaction Score

He was the last name on a long list. I was embarrassed for them during that coaching search. Nate Oats publicly turning them down was pretty ugly.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
You named a bunch of dudes who aren’t in the NBA lmaoo. They have NO NBA PRESENCE. Was the correct statement
Go read post #5, he got the quote right

Reaction Score

He may be respected by his peers and know what needs to be done to run a program but those qualities don't always translate to success. After having a nice four years at VCU he had one good and one great year at Oklahoma and has followed that with four straight losing seasons (57-72).

Some guys have what it takes to win as a Head Coach (DH) and others just may be more suited to be an Assistant. There's nothing wrong with that, and it happens all the time in sports and the private work world.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Tennessee. I love what Barnes has been doing in Knoxville:

Reaction Score
Capel has been a bust and will continue to be a bust!

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Capel has been a bust and will continue to be a bust!

I don’t think Capel is long for that job, but Mintz was a nice pick up for them. The question becomes can they keep him in the fold if/when they nose dive this year, as I can’t see them being any better than bottom 2-3 in that league

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Tennessee. I love what Barnes has been doing in Knoxville:

how can u be for Barnes? He is one of the biggest cheaters in cbb.

Id put on par with Pearl. We had a juco kid at our house and my wife is from TN and a huge Vols fan. He had no idea of this and mentioned tennessee offered Tre Mann 30K (with no knowledge about of my wife being a Vol!) Mano was from our neck of the woods FYI. F Barnes - he bought so many recruits from potentially being Calhoun recruits; Durant, Corey Joseph, etc. he’s super dirty But pretends to be a good guy.

Reaction Score
how can u be for Barnes? He is one of the biggest cheaters in cbb.

Id put on par with Pearl. We had a juco kid at our house and my wife is from TN and a huge Vols fan. He had no idea of this and mentioned tennessee offered Tre Mann 30K (with no knowledge about of my wife being a Vol!) Mano was from our neck of the woods FYI. F Barnes - he bought so many recruits from potentially being Calhoun recruits; Durant, Corey Joseph, etc. he’s super dirty But pretends to be a good guy.
So absolutely true. Barnes is well known in CBB circles as being about as dirty as they come.
The image is clean but the laundry is so very very dirty.
FYI, I used to work the ABCD Camp in Teaneck, NJ for many years and know people in various levels of the game ranging from coaches, local and national media, sneaker company guys and "agents". This is where the info is coming from.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom