OT: - Jalen Green spurning Memphis, heading to G-League | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Jalen Green spurning Memphis, heading to G-League

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
lol. the number of hours spent in 100-level classes and doing homework isnt the issue, it's the value of those hours, which is minuscule

unless of course theyre taking "how to negotiate a shoe deal 101" and "economic theory of supporting an entourage" etc.

The statement I quoted clearly referenced time spent on academics.

Two. There should be a gen ed for revenue sports athletes that includes things like marketing/personal branding, personal finance, intellectual property, etc. even if it’s the basics. Just enough so they can at least know what questions to ask.

Reaction Score

Here’s Drake wearing Zion’s HS jersey in January of 2017.

Zion was a junior in high school.

Tell me again how he wasn’t a household name before enrolling at Duke.

Reaction Score
No I don’t.

In an ESPN article detailing the battle between shoe companies to sign Williamson, the Chinese company Li-Ning offered $19 million a year. Puma came at Zion with a $15 million offer with a potential $3 million a year in bonuses. Anta also pushed a $15 million per year deal.

Ultimately, Williamson chose Nike over the potential to make more money.

The ESPN article was a good read. Thanks.

Reaction Score

Here’s Drake wearing Zion’s HS jersey in January of 2017.

Zion was a junior in high school.

Tell me again how he wasn’t a household name before enrolling at Duke.

So again... people familiar with social media knew about a viral sensation? What does that prove. You realize there are a lot of people NOT on Instagram and such.

Zion isn’t a poor example for the argument, he got a fat contract after a great year of playing college ball. He resolved a lot of questions surrounding his game. If he didn’t need college and could have got that contract straight from High School based off IG dunks, he may have the biggest idiots for advisors in the world. (Not to mention his family members asking for an alleged pay day were really underselling themselves)

No one is arguing that he isn’t a generational talent. But his basketball talent was really solidified in college. Not against the 5’11 white kids he was dunking all over in spartansville

Reaction Score
The difference between skills to negotiate their way through life and "aimless, helpless ignorance" is a few months hanging out on a college campus? I think you underestimate how much savvier the kids are these days and I think you WILDLY overstate how much time they have to spend doing school-related things.
I think you don’t realize how structured their days are. Classes and study are mandatory. Whether they engage their minds is a different story. Sucking kids into the G-league without school is fool’s gold, except for a few. Some d fashioned simple advice: Get a degree kid unless they are paying big dollars. Sucks eating cat food when you’re 30.

Reaction Score
The statement I quoted clearly referenced time spent on academics.

Two. There should be a gen ed for revenue sports athletes that includes things like marketing/personal branding, personal finance, intellectual property, etc. even if it’s the basics. Just enough so they can at least know what questions to ask.
one. yes and my point was that time is next to worthless so who cares.
two. sure.

Reaction Score
So again... people familiar with social media knew about a viral sensation? What does that prove. You realize there are a lot of people NOT on Instagram and such.

Zion isn’t a poor example for the argument, he got a fat contract after a great year of playing college ball. He resolved a lot of questions surrounding his game. If he didn’t need college and could have got that contract straight from High School based off IG dunks, he may have the biggest idiots for advisors in the world. (Not to mention his family members asking for an alleged pay day were really underselling themselves)
I understand.

You think a rookie got a better sneaker contract than the Greak Freek because the exposure of college basketball is superior to the exposure of the NBA.

You're wrong, but I understand.
Why in your opinion did he get 150% more than the average contract then.
Why a kid who wasn’t projected as the number one overall pick or even the best player in his class coming in would get that deal with or without colleges exposure.
You keep saying he wasn't projected as #1 overall or even the best player. That's irrelevant. His deal is what it is, not because he's the best player (he might no be) but because of his highlight reel ability.

Let's compare him to John Wall. He was the projected #1 overall pick before going to Kentucky. Spent 1 year at Kentucky, and was still drafted #1 overall. 5 year $25 million sneaker deal. compare that to 5 years $75M. Even if it's College that got him the exposure he needed, that wouldn't be enough to TRIPLE what other top rookies in recent years got paid (Bagley/Simmons etc)

You think Zion got triple what Wall got because he (also) went to college for one year?

You underestimate his value and overestimate college's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Zion and duke had a mutually beneficial relationship. If Zion went and played overseas it probably would have negatively impacted the shoe deal that he got. If he went to the g league who knows. I think his year at duke enhanced his profile further because of all the hoopla surrounding him and the team. The media hype machine definitely got behind him.

Reaction Score
Zion and duke had a mutually beneficial relationship. If Zion went and played overseas it probably would have negatively impacted the shoe deal that he got. If he went to the g league who knows. I think his year at duke enhanced his profile further because of all the hoopla surrounding him and the team. The media hype machine definitely got behind him.
1) The hype train left the station before he showed up on campus
2) His highest offers were from overseas companies. A Chinese sneaker company offered him $19M/year and he took less to sign with Jordan. A year in China wouldn't have negatively impacted anything.

Reaction Score
2) His highest offers were from overseas companies. A Chinese sneaker company offered him $19M/year and he took less to sign with Jordan. A year in China wouldn't have negatively impacted anything.
Are you his father or just a Stan?
Because it’s al about highlights and dunks, can you tell me about Jumpmane’s sneaker offers?
The fact you think there was no benefit to going to college for him is “just wrong” to take your phrase, but it’s whatever.
Id still like someone to answer why he even risked injury in college if he could have had this identical deal out of high school, but it’s such a ridiculous statement, I doubt even you could justify it with your blinders on.

Reaction Score
Are you his father or just a Stan?
Because it’s al about highlights and dunks, can you tell me about Jumpmane’s sneaker offers?
The fact you think there was no benefit to going to college for him is “just wrong” to take your phrase, but it’s whatever.
Id still like someone to answer why he even risked injury in college if he could have had this identical deal out of high school, but it’s such a ridiculous statement, I doubt even you could justify it with your blinders on.
Not a fan of his.

Jumpmane couldn't get on the court. Hard to have highlights from the bench. Unless you're the Monmouth reserves.

I could answer that question but I don't know how much Duke offered him to play there.

Nice of you to pretend like that doesn't happen though.

Also, as much as we hate him, Coach K is a great coach, and you can learn a lot from a year playing under him, and with the other top 2 prospects in the draft for a season.

I'd like for you to explain why he got 3 times as much as John Wall, who spent one year at Kentucky before being drafted #1 overall.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of his.

Jumpmane couldn't get on the court. Hard to have highlights from the bench. Unless you're the Monmouth reserves.

I could answer that question but I don't know how much Duke offered him to play there.

Nice of you to pretend like that doesn't happen though.

Also, as much as we hate him, Coach K is a great coach, and you can learn a lot from a year playing under him, and with the other top 2 prospects in the draft for a season.

I'd like for you to explain why he got 3 times as much as John Wall, who spent one year at Kentucky before being drafted #1 overall.
Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.
John Wall & other arguments aren’t relevant, because I’m not saying Duke MADE his value, just that it enhanced it.

Reaction Score
Ah yes, why compare the contract for another #1 overall who also spent 1 year in college at one of the few blue bloods that gets the same amount of exposure Duke does (if not more).

Obviously the exposure he got from Kentucky isn't relevant to his sneaker contract, and therefore not relevant to the discussion.

What's more logical?

"College" brought Zion from $5M/year to $15M/year

or

Zion's athleticism brought him from $5M/year to $15M/year

Reaction Score
"Household name" is a high bar. Zion in high school was not that, except maybe in South Carolina.

He was a popular high school athlete/recruit with decent traction in basketball, recruiting, dunk, and highlight subcultures.

The average person had no idea who Zion was in high school. The average NBA fan did not know who he was in high school. The average NBA redditor? Now you're getting somewhere.

Reaction Score
The average NBA fan did not know who he was in high school. The average NBA redditor? Now you're getting somewhere.
Disagree. And compared to Jalen Green he was a international superstar in HS.

Reaction Score
The average NBA fan doesn't even know that many actual NBA players.
I bet you they could name a few #1 overall picks. Especially the most recent one who is so popular that a sneaker company thinks he is more valuable to their brand than current NBA All-stars like Kyrie Irving and the Greak Freek.

Reaction Score
Listen I you have made your point abundantly clear. In my layman’s perspective he became a household name that my mother knew by playing on espn twice a week. And neither point can ever be proven. Chinese companies always have offered massive deals to Americans because our leagues are so popular over there, so I don’t think that proves much. Again his time at duke benefitted him to the average joe, maybe it equates to zero dollars because he was a player of destiny, but I think it gave him a bump

Reaction Score
Chinese companies always have offered massive deals to Americans because our leagues are so popular over there, so I don’t think that proves much.
It's fascinating the way people brush off any sort of evidence that refutes their argument.

Doesn't matter that another 1 and done #1 overall pick out of Kentucky "only" got $5M per. He doesn't count.

Totally irrelevant that a sneaker company gave a rookie a better deal than what stars like Kyrie Irving and the Greak Freak have today. Not their rookie contract, but their current contracts. Even though they've had far more exposure playing in the NBA than a one and done gets in college.

Apparently their contracts don't matter...

85ddc1c7-e588-458c-a9ab-2aaec2fd82d5_text_hi.gif

Reaction Score
It's fascinating the way people brush off any sort of evidence that refutes their argument.

Doesn't matter that another 1 and done #1 overall pick out of Kentucky "only" got $5M per. He doesn't count.

Totally irrelevant that a sneaker company gave a rookie a better deal than what stars like Kyrie Irving and the Greak Freak have today. Not their rookie contract, but their current contracts. Even though they've had far more exposure playing in the NBA than a one and done gets in college.

Apparently their contracts don't matter...

85ddc1c7-e588-458c-a9ab-2aaec2fd82d5_text_hi.gif
Dude I have read 4 times how he makes more than the Greek freak and kyrie. I generally agree with your points. I just feel like he became the espn machines golden boy and they rode him and that did add value to him. If he played in Spain I think he would not have held that same value. Again I don’t see what’s wrong with feeling that it helped it in some way.

Reaction Score
This is substantial news. The NBA finally made a developmental path that's way too good for elite prospects to pass up.

I think it's a good thing for everyone involved. Top players should be able to get paid right away and college basketball sorely needs some continuity. The last dozen years of "great youth vs good experience" in college hoops have been underwhelming.

Except for 2011 and 2014, right?

Reaction Score
Another recruit spurning the G League to go to college. Maybe more kids than I thought will still choose college.

Despite overtures and a strong offer from the NBA G League, Greg Brown III, the No. 9 player in the 247Sports Composite Rankings, announced that he’s signing with Texas early Friday afternoon.

But was it a "strong a** offer"? :)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not taking a side but saw this and figured I'd post it.

The article basically states what you have been trying to crush people for suggesting

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom