jalen gaffney: year one to year two. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

jalen gaffney: year one to year two.

Reaction Score
This is maddening. There are so many possessions where he's dribbling and basically standing still or doing some light probing until there's about 11 seconds left on the clock.
I was going to blame coaching for allowing this, but then remembered Calhoun allowed Austrie to put dents on the court.

I just don't understand how this is allowed to happen. Moore, Taliek and Hurley were all point guards.

Reaction Score
what real improvement looks like.
year one: 31 games, 600 minutes.
year two: 23 games, 450 minutes.
both around 20 mpg.
some notable shooting highlights -
fg%: 80 pt improvement, 33% to 41%. (plus 50 on 2s, plus 100 on 3s)
fts%: 50 pt improvement, 77% to 82%

in 25% less minutes, he also roughly equaled year one for 2 attempts, 3 attempts, ft attempts, rebounds, and steals. actually, the only thing that went down was assists, while tov's were aboot the same pg, sooooo, more attempts pg at way higher success rates, factually speaking.
and, he was one of the very few who showed up to get points at our biggest game in years.
too obvious, the makings of a scorer.
Jalen Gaffney College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)
Meh!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Last year he looked like he wanted no part of the court at MSG versus Indiana. Against Maryland, he was our most aggressive player. Without Bouknight, it will help him mentally more than anything else. Being a go to guy will be easier for him than fitting in.

Reaction Score
He was more effective driving to the rim in that last game than anyone, At game end Hurley picked him to do it, not Bouk.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I’ve said this before Gaff has a lot of potential as a scorer. I don’t see his abilities as a great fit for a lead pg.

This is 100% true. He is tough to watch as a PG, he just doesn't have the instincts from what I see. He drives me nuts with decisions and passes/not making certain passes.

I think Cole will be the PG and Diggins will get plenty of minutes there with Gaffney being more of the 2/combo to attack. Gaffney's athleticism and (when he uses it) aggressiveness to the rim is missing with Cole so it's a good combo if Diggins is ready to step into a Shabazz-like frosh role.

Reaction Score
2p% - Improved from 40.0% to 44.8%
3p% - Improved from 26.4% to 36.2%

I said in another thread, he's a totally different player when he's forced to be assertive. Good chance there will be more opportunities for that his junior year with Bouk in the NBA.
He is just taking fewer bad shots. And he is having fewer shots blocked.

Reaction Score
I think his natural position is as a 2 guard/off guard and is a somewhat reluctant PG. The team needs him to give RJ a breather and in some cases be on the court at the same time.

Sool's focus as a PG will allow Gaffney more opportunities as an off guard next year and have secondary ball handling responsibilities.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Very mixed on Gaffney. Yes, he improved. But there were also off-season NBA aspiration rumors with him, which seemed really misplaced.

Last year we were led to believe that his early season ankle injury was to blame for his struggles. So what was the excuse this year?

Yes, he's better when he plays more assertive. But he's been prone to ugly turnovers and I don't think his handle is developed enough to be as assertive as he needs to be.

Yes, he was the only one who showed up late vs MD, but that's more of an indictment on the rest of the team than positives for Gaff. He also had a brutal turnover late when we were pressing to get close.

His play is too up and down to be a lead PG in a program of this caliber unless he drastically improves his handle and jumper.

Reaction Score
I like his shot making but I think the coaching staff has to push him to start the offense earlier when he his running point. Many of his points came late in the shot clock which is good but that's not an effective offense as a whole. Hopefully will have better spacing next year and he can effectively drive and kick instead of penetrating as a last scoring resort.

Reaction Score
I was going to blame coaching for allowing this, but then remembered Calhoun allowed Austrie to put dents on the court.

I just don't understand how this is allowed to happen. Moore, Taliek and Hurley were all point guards.
Tom Moore was a point guard? Where and when?

Reaction Score
Tom Moore was a point guard? Where and when?
Lol. Maybe high school? You're right, Tom went to Boston University and didn't play basketball. I don't know if he played in high school.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is fine. As a 4th guard program player I'd be excited. As a 2nd or 3rd guard in your rotation you count on for production you are not having a very good year.

We need program players like him(!) and I hope he continues to improve. If he has similar % improvement as he matures he'll be really solid. But he's a below average player at the moment so it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Needs to lower his dribble especially on penetrating the lane. He has been stripped more times than is acceptable for a point guard..

I wonder if Bouk or Gaffney suffered more strips in the lane. Anywhere to find this stat?

Reaction Score
what real improvement looks like.
year one: 31 games, 600 minutes.
year two: 23 games, 450 minutes.
both around 20 mpg.
some notable shooting highlights -
fg%: 80 pt improvement, 33% to 41%. (plus 50 on 2s, plus 100 on 3s)
fts%: 50 pt improvement, 77% to 82%

in 25% less minutes, he also roughly equaled year one for 2 attempts, 3 attempts, ft attempts, rebounds, and steals. actually, the only thing that went down was assists, while tov's were aboot the same pg, sooooo, more attempts pg at way higher success rates, factually speaking.
and, he was one of the very few who showed up to get points at our biggest game in years.
too obvious, the makings of a scorer.
Jalen Gaffney College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)
I really like him. By his senior year he is going to be a solid PG knowing exactly what to do. I wanna compare him to Moore and Brown as PGs and their year to year development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom