ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
what real improvement looks like.
year one: 31 games, 600 minutes.
year two: 23 games, 450 minutes.
both around 20 mpg.
some notable shooting highlights -
fg%: 80 pt improvement, 33% to 41%. (plus 50 on 2s, plus 100 on 3s)
fts%: 50 pt improvement, 77% to 82%

in 25% less minutes, he also roughly equaled year one for 2 attempts, 3 attempts, ft attempts, rebounds, and steals. actually, the only thing that went down was assists, while tov's were aboot the same pg, sooooo, more attempts pg at way higher success rates, factually speaking.
and, he was one of the very few who showed up to get points at our biggest game in years.
too obvious, the makings of a scorer.
Jalen Gaffney College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Reaction Score
what real improvement looks like.
year one: 31 games, 600 minutes.
year two: 23 games, 450 minutes.
both around 20 mpg.
some notable shooting highlights -
fg%: 80 pt improvement, 33% to 41%. (plus 50 on 2s, plus 100 on 3s)
fts%: 50 pt improvement, 77% to 82%

in 25% less minutes, he also roughly equaled year one for 2 attempts, 3 attempts, ft attempts, rebounds, and steals. actually, the only thing that went down was assists, while tov's were aboot the same pg, sooooo, more attempts pg at way higher success rates, factually speaking.
and, he was one of the very few who showed up to get points at our biggest game in years.
too obvious, the makings of a scorer.
Jalen Gaffney College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)
I’ll be curious to see if his role next season changes quite a bit. I like him off ball, he’s shown he has an ability to knock down shots when he can get his feet set and attack the rim. If he’s actually asked to do that more, he would probably jump up to a double digit scorer.

If/when diggins gets up to speed, we may see Gaffney on the court regularly with either Cole or Diggins running point. Little under sized there but it’s something I’d like to see a lot more (depending on who else is in that line up).

Reaction Score
it seems like its all confidence with Gaffney. He shows flashes. At the end of the Maryland game when he was being aggressive he was effective. For whatever reason he slides back into this timid too lax play. I dont know what will keep the fire lit to get him to keep being aggressive but hoping next year, maybe when fans come back he keeps it up.

Reaction Score
I like his developing skillset and frame, but there's one thing that really bothers me. He seems incapable of starting the offense until the defense is fully set; I don't get it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has a soft touch with his layups and has ability to score after driving. And yes he is a confidence player, as we saw him drive multiple times only to pass it to someone else inside for no reason

Reaction Score
Gaffney's play has been very uneven. Some really nice performances. Sometimes he disappears. His scoring touch is improved. But he only scored double digit points 4 times in 23 games. And for a point guard to average 1.5 assists a game in over 19 minutes a game is not very good.

He needs to figure out how to add some consistency to his game.

Reaction Score
He shows flashes of athleticism sometimes that really shock me. Some of the dunks / tough finish layups he did this year I didn’t even think he had in his bag.

Definitely has things to work on for next year as does every athlete ever, but i’m excited to see what he brings to the table next year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I like his developing skillset and frame, but there's one thing that really bothers me. He seems incapable of starting the office until the defense is fully set; I don't get it.
fair point as his 'dime success rate' is factually what it is. i could argue that his head, when on the floor, seems to be, literally, glued to coach dan's mouth, and other such jibberjabber, but that's just my opinion. his 'dime success rate' is factually what it is.
i do think that rasool kid feels kinda mark jackson'ish, and he and jalen together might be a winning combo. i like rj a lot, but i like him more as a scorer. jalen has a higher ceiling to my way of thinking. flying dunks coming from the backcourt can do that to a fellow.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
it seems like its all confidence with Gaffney. He shows flashes. At the end of the Maryland game when he was being aggressive he was effective. For whatever reason he slides back into this timid too lax play. I dont know what will keep the fire lit to get him to keep being aggressive but hoping next year, maybe when fans come back he keeps it up.
for many who attend college, athlete or not, mentally, big things often happen between sophomore and junior years. a sense of direction or purpose?

Reaction Score
Needs to lower his dribble especially on penetrating the lane. He has been stripped more times than is acceptable for a point guard..

Reaction Score
Eh - he’s ok. Doesn’t wow me at all. Will be surprised if Sool not starting by mid January next year

Reaction Score
I like his developing skillset and frame, but there's one thing that really bothers me. He seems incapable of starting the office until the defense is fully set; I don't get it.
This is maddening. There are so many possessions where he's dribbling and basically standing still or doing some light probing until there's about 11 seconds left on the clock.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I’ll be curious to see if his role next season changes quite a bit. I like him off ball, he’s shown he has an ability to knock down shots when he can get his feet set and attack the rim. If he’s actually asked to do that more, he would probably jump up to a double digit scorer.

If/when diggins gets up to speed, we may see Gaffney on the court regularly with either Cole or Diggins running point. Little under sized there but it’s something I’d like to see a lot more (depending on who else is in that line up).
jalens listed height is 6'3, the exact average height for an nba guard, yet he sooo looks like a spindly kid. that will change.

Reaction Score
I saw some great things, but certainly not enough. 2-3 games stand out in my mind, others ok while many not much. Better shooter it would seem, decent at times getting to the hoop. Still is not a good defender vs any quick guards always trailing them and hurting the overall defensive rotation really needs to improve there. I mean the few games he was good he was really good. But consistency is a must. I will only be repeating the need to dribble going nowhere is bothersome at times, offense staring too far back. Just needs to be consistently better in many areas, but showed potential.

Reaction Score
2p% - Improved from 40.0% to 44.8%
3p% - Improved from 26.4% to 36.2%

I said in another thread, he's a totally different player when he's forced to be assertive. Good chance there will be more opportunities for that his junior year with Bouk in the NBA.

Reaction Score
It was a very, very strange year for him. He regressed a great deal in terms of running the offense. On the other hand, on days he got his offense going he looked improved with his #2 guard skills. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
He's a good Robin who was forced into trying on Batman's cape a few times with this team.

Do I think he's turning into junior year Kemba next year? No. Do I think Gaffney is going to surprise a lot of people with the jump he makes next season? Yes. I think he's going to make the "the back up QB is always better" guys who are already writing him off in favor of Diggins starting next year eat crow. I think the game has slowed down for him a lot and will continue to do so. I think he's got good to sometimes great vision, he's got decent form on his shot and he's getting more confident getting to the rim.

I'm buying shares in Gaffney.

Reaction Score
not ideal that our 2 PGs are better when they arent actually playing PG
While I understand that its disappointing that both seem to play better off the ball, Cole rarely has any trouble breaking a press and he brings veteran confidence. Cole can distribute, he has something like 500 D1 assists, but he certainly is more of a combo guard than a true point.

Reaction Score
People often ask me what I like most about Gaffney. I say the hair

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom