Jalen Gaffney now ready to unleash ‘above-the-rim athleticism’ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney now ready to unleash ‘above-the-rim athleticism’

Reaction Score
I kinda don't care about above the rim athleticism from a PG. KEA was built like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and couldn't jump over a nickel but ran the offense, played defense, scored as needed, brought crazy energy and was an incredible vocal leader. We'll get plenty of highlight reel dunks by the other guys, I want a PG who is going to be a floor leader and get guys to where they need to be a la Khalid, Ricky or Taliek.

Being able to jump is important for rebounding, and obviously is usually an indicator of great end to end speed, and lateral speed as well. The idea that we shouldn't focus on recruiting athletic PGs is ludicrous. KEA was obviously not the norm when it comes to BBIQ and running a team.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Being able to jump is important for rebounding, and obviously is usually an indicator of great end to end speed, and lateral speed as well. The idea that we shouldn't focus on recruiting athletic PGs is ludicrous. KEA was obviously not the norm when it comes to BBQ and running a team.
I think his point was not that we shouldn't recruit athletic pgs but that above the rim athleticism isn't as important in a pg. Khalid was actually very athletic, despite his appearance, but he wasn't a big leaper. Great speed, quickness, hand-eye and others are key for a great PG, not so much above the rim ability. A PG in general is going to be in position more for long rebounds anyway so the jumping won't help their rebounding the same way it would a big or even a wing. If you look at the best PGs in history, the great leapers are the exception to the rule.

Reaction Score
Being able to jump is important for rebounding, and obviously is usually an indicator of great end to end speed, and lateral speed as well. The idea that we shouldn't focus on recruiting athletic PGs is ludicrous. KEA was obviously not the norm when it comes to BBQ and running a team.
I only want fat 5'9 kids playing point guard.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I think his point was not that we shouldn't recruit athletic pgs but that above the rim athleticism isn't as important in a pg.
Yeah this was my point. DI point guards will have a certain level of athleticism regardless. Next level hops is lower on the priority list than a high IQ floor general in terms of PG strengths in my opinion.

Reaction Score
If we make a couple of takeaways from Hurleys off-season/mid-season coaching up of our players then I deduce that Jalen making the same jump Frosh to Sophomore as Brendan Adams made. When looking at your team from top to bottom you need to set expectations that everyone from 1-12 needs to make significant jumps every year.

Reaction Score
I kinda don't care about above the rim athleticism from a PG. KEA was built like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and couldn't jump over a nickel but ran the offense, played defense, scored as needed, brought crazy energy and was an incredible vocal leader. We'll get plenty of highlight reel dunks by the other guys, I want a PG who is going to be a floor leader and get guys to where they need to be a la Khalid, Ricky or Taliek.
Ignoring the points everyone else has already made, Gaffney getting back to normal and showing off his athleticism makes it much easier to play our best players together for more minutes (i.e. Cole and Gaffney)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The question is, "How good would KEA have been IF he had above the rim athleticism?" I agree there are a litany of requirements for a point guard and a Gaffney checks just about all of them plus being able to play above the rim.

Reaction Score

I think we all wish KEA put away his Weber grill and spent more time in the gym...he could’ve had to championships instead of just one.

C

Chief00

Low usage rate, sure, but 1.2 tpg in 19 mpg is pretty low. 2.1 apg is also pretty low.

Looking forward to what he can do as a soph.

Agree, but let’s not forget that early injury that made it difficult for Gaffney to use his burst to get past people. He’s no Kemba speed wise but he’s a lot more athletic than he showed for much of the season. Chief loves his efficiency with the ball. While Chief is a Giants fan, one thing I learned from watching many Patriots games during the Brady/Belichick era is the importance of not beating yourself.

Reaction Score
Another "below the rim" PG who worked out pretty well for UConn was Chris Smith.. Scored a few points in his career.. Weren't many times with Smitty or KEA where more gifted athletes defending them were having their way with them.. Among other things.. Their BB IQ was off the charts.. Gaff will be fine now that he's got a healthy set of legs and some athletes around him..

Reaction Score
I think his point was not that we shouldn't recruit athletic pgs but that above the rim athleticism isn't as important in a pg. Khalid was actually very athletic, despite his appearance, but he wasn't a big leaper. Great speed, quickness, hand-eye and others are key for a great PG, not so much above the rim ability. A PG in general is going to be in position more for long rebounds anyway so the jumping won't help their rebounding the same way it would a big or even a wing. If you look at the best PGs in history, the great leapers are the exception to the rule.
We played a game against Pittsburgh when El Amin was here. Pitt had a guard (i do not remember his name) who said to the reporter that he could not understand how El Amin could match up with him. He won the Pennsylvania 100 yard dash for the fastest athlete in the state. He could touch the top of the square of the backboard. He asked how a short chubby kid like El Amin could stand a chance playing against him. El Amin absolutely destroyed him. I almost felt sorry for the pitt player he got beaten so badly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I saw KEA break a guy's ankles without even putting the ball on the floor. He rarely had his shot blocked because he shot a halfbeat quicker than the defender expected. Takes more than athleticism to drain one in Elton Brand's mush.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We played a game against Pittsburgh when El Amin was here. Pitt had a guard (i do not remember his name) who said to the reporter that he could not understand how El Amin could match up with him. He won the Pennsylvania 100 yard dash for the fastest athlete in the state. He could touch the top of the square of the backboard. He asked how a short chubby kid like El Amin could stand a chance playing against him. El Amin absolutely destroyed him. I almost felt sorry for the pitt player he got beaten so badly.
any idea which particular game that was?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
What are we thinking about this take at this point in the season? The predictions for explosiveness and athleticism aren't apparent yet. Is it there? What is this kid's real ceiling?

Reaction Score
What are we thinking about this take at this point in the season? The predictions for explosiveness and athleticism aren't apparent yet. Is it there? What is this kid's real ceiling?

He's clearly athletic. I think he's just not functionally athletic if that makes sense... he doesn't have the coordination or mentality to unleash it during games. No killer instinct. Isn't comfortable in traffic, doesn't really absorb contact well.

His ceiling is a floor general that makes everyone better and hits open shots when he can, but that seems less and less likely. The hardest thing to change is a player's mentality, and he doesn't have it right now. He doesn't have the instincts on either end of the floor. He's athletic enough to stay in front of guys but doesn't anticipate well on D, and he thinks so much on offense the whole team can't function sometimes. It's possible he can reach that ceiling, but this disjointed crazy year has probably effected him as much as anyone.

I'd be happy if he can just become a positive piece of a great team off the bench--right now he isn't. If he can figure out how to get us into our sets, move the ball more quickly, be an average defender, and be a LITTLE bit of a threat to score the ball, then hit FTs in crunch time that would be enough.

He isn't going to be a 15+ point scorer or shoot 42% from deep, or average 2 steals a game. But if he gets his head right, he can be an important, consistent piece of a really good team.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they keep this stat but JG has a lot of shots blocked. These blocked shots are not called turnovers but they have the same effect. He may have superior athleticism but he keeps getting himself into positions where he is out of options. He has the look of a player still learning to play at this level. I believe as his decision making improves his overall game will improve. He is still playing like a freshman. Hopefully the lights will come on soon.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they keep this stat but JG has a lot of shots blocked. These blocked shots are not called turnovers but they have the same effect. He may have superior athleticism but he keeps getting himself into positions where he is out of options. He has the look of a player still learning to play at this level. I believe as his decision making improves his overall game will improve. He is still playing like a freshman. Hopefully the lights will come on soon.

He figured out you can neutralize a defender by losing the ball into the guy's nose as you drive to the basket.
Maybe he can perfect that and get a shot off instead of getting stuffed.......

Reaction Score
He's clearly athletic. I think he's just not functionally athletic if that makes sense... he doesn't have the coordination or mentality to unleash it during games. No killer instinct. Isn't comfortable in traffic, doesn't really absorb contact well.

His ceiling is a floor general that makes everyone better and hits open shots when he can, but that seems less and less likely. The hardest thing to change is a player's mentality, and he doesn't have it right now. He doesn't have the instincts on either end of the floor. He's athletic enough to stay in front of guys but doesn't anticipate well on D, and he thinks so much on offense the whole team can't function sometimes. It's possible he can reach that ceiling, but this disjointed crazy year has probably effected him as much as anyone.

I'd be happy if he can just become a positive piece of a great team off the bench--right now he isn't. If he can figure out how to get us into our sets, move the ball more quickly, be an average defender, and be a LITTLE bit of a threat to score the ball, then hit FTs in crunch time that would be enough.

He isn't going to be a 15+ point scorer or shoot 42% from deep, or average 2 steals a game. But if he gets his head right, he can be an important, consistent piece of a really good team.
sounds like you are describing someone that is still learning and thinking too much...too mechanical. Maybe the Covid lockdown was a bigger detriment to his game than others because of lack of reps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom