Jalen Gaffney now ready to unleash ‘above-the-rim athleticism’ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney now ready to unleash ‘above-the-rim athleticism’

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
He’s good for pounding the ball off a defender’s nose though.

Reaction Score
sounds like you are describing someone that is still learning and thinking too much...too mechanical. Maybe the Covid lockdown was a bigger detriment to his game than others because of lack of reps.

Exactly. Seems like the kind of kid that just needs a lot of practice time to pick up on things. He isn't going to just see things unfold on the floor and make the right play like, say, Shabazz could... I think he needs more coaching to reach his potential. I haven't given up hope that he can be a starter on a top-25 team. it just might not be this year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Exactly. Seems like the kind of kid that just needs a lot of practice time to pick up on things. He isn't going to just see things unfold on the floor and make the right play like, say, Shabazz could... I think he needs more coaching to reach his potential. I haven't given up hope that he can be a starter on a top-25 team. it just might not be this year.
This post and the longer one prior to it are the rare instance where I want you to be wrong, but not as a rebuke of you.

Your descriptions are apt, AND I hope Jalen comes out the other side. I really want it to be 'too soon to tell,' and I don't know that it is or that it isn't. It's one of the many challenges of it being January 5th and game 6.

Reaction Score
Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule applied to Uconn hoops. He's really had both season stunted...first by his injury and now by Covid.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
He's clearly athletic. I think he's just not functionally athletic if that makes sense... he doesn't have the coordination or mentality to unleash it during games. No killer instinct. Isn't comfortable in traffic, doesn't really absorb contact well.

His ceiling is a floor general that makes everyone better and hits open shots when he can, but that seems less and less likely. The hardest thing to change is a player's mentality, and he doesn't have it right now. He doesn't have the instincts on either end of the floor. He's athletic enough to stay in front of guys but doesn't anticipate well on D, and he thinks so much on offense the whole team can't function sometimes. It's possible he can reach that ceiling, but this disjointed crazy year has probably effected him as much as anyone.

I'd be happy if he can just become a positive piece of a great team off the bench--right now he isn't. If he can figure out how to get us into our sets, move the ball more quickly, be an average defender, and be a LITTLE bit of a threat to score the ball, then hit FTs in crunch time that would be enough.

He isn't going to be a 15+ point scorer or shoot 42% from deep, or average 2 steals a game. But if he gets his head right, he can be an important, consistent piece of a really good team.

Similar to Hans, I unfortunately agree with you here. I’m a big Gaffney fan, was very excited to see him with a year under his belt...but the mentality aspect you bring up is spot on. Really hurt him to miss so much 5v5 practice time.

I’ll occasionally hear people say “Kemba wasn’t a star his sophomore year and then look!” But Kemba also put up 15ppg on 40% his sophomore year. At this point I’m just hoping Gaff can approach those numbers as a junior or senior. One way or another, I’m rooting hard for the kid.

Reaction Score
sounds like you are describing someone that is still learning and thinking too much...too mechanical. Maybe the Covid lockdown was a bigger detriment to his game than others because of lack of reps.
We don't do logic here.

Reaction Score
Still waiting....
In pre-game waremups, maybe. Gaff has no explosion at all. When he starts into the paint, every team catches up with him. That's why he hesitates. He's not Div I Talent. Short-time backup only.

Reaction Score
In pre-game waremups, maybe. Gaff has no explosion at all. When he starts into the paint, every team catches up with him. That's why he hesitates. He's not Div I Talent. Short-time backup only.
Not division 1 talent? Laughable.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Players are going to develop at different times. He has players in front of him that are going to be the go-to guys for the next year. His opportunity will come and when it does he will be ready. Great kid and easy to root for!

Reaction Score
Really? Already making the call 6 games into his
Really? Already making the call 6 games into his career?
Actually he is a redshirt jr. And yes he just isn’t the same player as he was at a Mid Major school. Rahsool will be able to create more get in lanes and kick. Would be able to finish around the rim. RJ also passes up shots he should take. Not saying he stinks or suck just don’t think he’s a high level D1 player

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What are we thinking about this take at this point in the season? The predictions for explosiveness and athleticism aren't apparent yet. Is it there? What is this kid's real ceiling?

I still think he is going to be very good for us.

Reaction Score
It's pretty amazing how he looks tentative for 90% of his minutes, but then has 1-2 "holy s___" plays a game that make you wonder why he doesn't do that more.
Yeah it’s quite frustrating actually. Because you see the flashes. Compare that to a mental state of a guy like Shabazz Napier, who Calhoun had to put on the bench at times because of his overconfidence.

It’s not a problem UConn fans are used too.. but I have hope he will show more each season

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Great dunk, he has his moments.

One thing that he constantly does that has to piss off the coaches is leave his feet to pass. 2 games in a row where he turned the ball over doing idiotic jump passes without a plan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom