Jalen Gaffney finds his role. | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney finds his role.

Reaction Score
Jalen may have had his best game vs Butler last night. He didn't look tentative at all, unlike during some times in the first 10 games. He hit 2 big 3's in, had 3 assists and could have had more if guys could finish. Only 1 turnover. Butler didn't pressure our guards much, and Jalen looked comfortable as a result in his PG/2G role. Hoping he can continue as a high value contributor as we face different styles and higher talent teams.
Great job, Gaff!

Reaction Score
Agree, very solid game from Gaffney. He is maturing into a reliable player, under control on penetrations and when they swung the ball & kicked it to him for that second step in three we all KNEW it was money.

conn4>cuse1

Zone Is For Cowards
Reaction Score
we've all known what is possible for him. He needs to keep his confidence and comfortability way up and it starts with DH

Reaction Score
I thought both Gaffney and Cole played well last night. I like Cole playing off the ball, but he did have a beautiful assist last night that shows what he is capable of. There's not a lot of margin for error with Bounight out, And if we are going to continue to win in the Big East both Cole and Gaffney are going to have to be impact players.

Reaction Score
The only difference with Gaff tonight was his efficiency from the arc. He went 2-5 against Creighton with 2 assists. Against Butler he went 2-2 tonight with three assists. It's amazing how hitting a couple of shots in a win changes the impression of your game.

His game hasn't really improved all year. He can. But we haven't seen it yet.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The only difference with Gaff tonight was his efficiency from the arc. He went 2-5 against Creighton with 2 assists. Against Butler he went 2-2 tonight with three assists. It's amazing how hitting a couple of shots in a win changes the impression of your game.

A rare time I actually agree with Palatine.

Gaffney wasn't any better last night than normal, aside from the fact that he hit his only 2 outside shots. Typically he's hesitant to pull the trigger because he's not a great shooter, but both shot opportunities were within the flow of the offense on good looks, and he happened to knock them down.

Offseason hype pieces mentioned Gaffney was due for a leap this year, and that last year he was really hampered by his early season ankle injury. I even saw tweets alluding to NBA potential.

Unfortunately, Gaffney hasn't shown any signs of making a leap. His ball handing is sub-par for a guard... the fact he's a PG makes it worse. I am never confident with him dribbling the ball on the perimeter. I would have thought he improved his handle over last season but it hasn't happened. He still looks really tentative and he doesn't even try to challenge anyone off the dribble. And while he's shown glimpses of athleticism, it's not something that consistently shows up in his game.

Gaffney is great when he's moving the ball, playing within the flow of the offense, and making the extra pass for nice assists. He's got above average cousin. But he hasn't shown that he can create anything on his own off the dribble. That's what typical UConn PGs have historically been able to do. And it's something the team is lacking from the guard position with Bouk out.

Really hope he imroves his handle, his shot, and his confidence. Hope he proves me wrong because the team needs him without Bouk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The guards have played well that past few games. Or better at the very least. I liked the lack of TOs in the St John's game. I thought they both played well in the loss to Creighton. And obviously they both played well against Butler. To me this is a trend. A significant one.

Reaction Score
I believe Jalen works best as a combo guard. Looking back Ben ran the point at times, Ricky ran the point alot with Khalid and Doron and KO were terrific together. It is what I envisioned with Bouk at the 3. Someone is a loser for PT in this scenario however. I love having 2 guards with point guard mentalities playing together.

Reaction Score

The stats look the same, but Gaff looked better leading an offense yesterday. Typically he would waste time dribbling and cause a lull but he was really smooth and got the rock to places efficiently and accurately.

Reaction Score
Shooting 2/5 on three's v Creighton, at least for UConn's current slow paced offense is volume scoring.
Shooting 2/3 for the game is taking only what the defense gives you.
So the difference is he took ONLY good shots and either passed or reset when penetrating. Also there were a number of times I noticed him staying in front of their guards on D. No he's not breaking out into a starring role, but he's becoming noticeably more comfortable and reliable.

2/2 on threes isn't statistically significant (i.e. presumably all agree that Martin's 20pts on 9 shots is efficient) - but it is when the point is that he avoided taking bad shots. First game all season where Gaffney has taken more than 1 shot and shot >50%, its not huge but its progress.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Boy you really are a hard arse. I really enjoyed watching him play last night and don't mess with my enjoyment its little enough these days!!!!

Reaction Score
Gaff has been better for sure on the offensive end, best game last night for sure. I was really looking forward to seeing how he played vs Nova as that would’ve been a much better measure of where he’s heading. Still good to see improvement in his game and confidence.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I feel Gaff suffers from the same thing that hurt Carlton after his 2nd season - they put on muscle and weight that really hasn't helped them in a basketball sense - They both lost foot speed and agility. Not a good thing for a PG for sure. He did have flashes of 2019/2020 Gaff last night but his defense is extremely poor.
I am sure he can correct a few things that will get him on track but it won't be overnight. This team needs Gaff to be at 100% and I have no doubt he will work hard to get back to that level and higher. I am sure its been frustrating for him as well.
Last night was a great first step.

Reaction Score

They blew about 4 nice assists from him, this was the best he played.

Reaction Score
If Gaffney is your 3rd/4th guard and 8th-10th player, then he is fine. Solid D, can hit a stand still shot, and does actually have pretty good vision/passing skills.

But his inability to get by people or effectively get his own shot basically eliminates his potential to be a lead guard. He's basically a taller Craig Austrie with a less reliable jumper.

The problem is always when he is asked to be more than he is, and that's really just not fair to him. And the hype pieces that were obviously setting him up to fail with expectations that were not in line with his game, that really sucks that the SID let those happen.

Life is about expectations. If you told me you'd get a slightly worse Craig Austrie I'd be like : "Cool, every program needs program guys". But we were told he was a dynamic athlete and playmaker and that just hasn't really been the case thus far, almost 2 years into the program.

Reaction Score
I feel Gaff suffers from the same thing that hurt Carlton after his 2nd season - they put on muscle and weight that really hasn't helped them in a basketball sense - They both lost foot speed and agility.

I don't think this is remotely true in Gaffney's case. He looks marginally stronger than he did last year but seems about the same in terms of athleticism. For whatever reason - and some people here call it "managing the game" - he plays very tentatively. I would love to see him play with a little more aggression and confidence. He was a hell of a scorer in high school. Obviously high school is not the Big East, but he has yet to resemble the player he looked like in high school while wearing a UConn uniform.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Above the rim athleticism. It's coming.

I'll see myself out...

Reaction Score

445BCAC0-887E-4A02-A115-5DDB7FF15E24.jpeg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Glad to see Gaff have a good game, but you couldn't ask for a better matchup for him. The begging question is why Cole or even Martin couldn't blow by their defenders as easily. SH was slow and plodding.

Sanogo and Jackson showed talent but ultimately made a bunch of mistakes that cost us possession on both ends. I'm not sure Jackson knows the defensive scheme or what switching means.

Bad T by Hurley, should never have on a mid game possesion call like that.

Whaley was stout on D, near absent on the offense. Martin's fouls cost him minutes, where we could've used him.

Ultimately you can't not play O for the first 15 minutes and not play D in the last 10 and expect to win.

Reaction Score
Gaffneys confidence and aggressiveness on offense today was great to see. Pleasant surprise to help open things up. Having said that he was also the reason the Hall answered down the stretch getting beat off the dribble on one and on another flying out on his man who blew by easily was fouled and made 2. He needs to get a lot better on that end but it still was nice to see some things on the other end today at least.

Reaction Score
JG is fun to watch when he's running down hill with the ball. Had to create many of his own shots based on his teammates inability to get open/shake their defenders.

When Bouk gets back I think you'll see Gaff/Jax really making an impact on the game,esp in the open court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom