Jalen Adams Season Expectations?... | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams Season Expectations?...

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of talk about Adams leaving after this season. For that to happen he would have to have a Kemba or Shabazz type season. I hope it does happen because that would mean a very good season for the Huskies. I think having Gilbert and Anderson will allow him to stay fresh deep into the season. I think Adams wore down toward the end of the season last year. I predict 15 ppg, 3 rbs, 5 ast, and 2 steals a game. He needs to cut down on turnovers and shoot 40% from 3 this year. What does everyone else think?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There has been a lot of talk about Adams leaving after this season. For that to happen he would have to have a Kemba or Shabazz type season. I hope it does happen because that would mean a very good season for the Huskies. I think having Gilbert and Anderson will allow him to stay fresh deep into the season. I think Adams wore down toward the end of the season last year. I predict 15 ppg, 3 rbs, 5 ast, and 2 steals a game. He needs to cut down on turnovers and shoot 40% from 3 this year. What does everyone else think?
I agree with all that except his averages. I think he'll be averaging close to 20 ppg 5 assists and 3 rebound. I believe Adams has the potential to be a lottery pick but he needs to take his game to another level

Reaction Score
I agree with all that except his averages. I think he'll be averaging close to 20 ppg 5 assists and 3 rebound. I believe Adams has the potential to be a lottery pick but he needs to take his game to another level

I think he can and will take his game to another level but his numbers don't have to improve much in order to do so. Because of the addition of Gilbert and the other guards he will stay around the same stat wise although I think he may add another assist and rebound to last years numbers, actually could have some pretty good rebounding games if he's off the ball more.

Key is being fresh will help make better decisions and also with added guard depth will be able to help create better shot selection also. He may get up to 17-18 pts but I tend to lean towards him being more overall efficient in his game, although 20 from him would be huge provided its within the team concept.

Reaction Score
More pobts, less assists with gilbert. Will allow him to spot up from 3 and be more efficient. Spot up numbers were elite last year, but he had few opportunities with no other 1s.

17.5/4.5/6 on 48%fg and 39 from 3.

All assuming he has been GRINDING this summer.

Reaction Score
A lot will depend upon Gilbert and his shoulder. If Gilbert can play the entire season Jalen will be fresher at the end of games. Last season Jalen was asked to do too much out of necessity.
Shoulders are tricky and I'm not convinced that Gilbert's shoulder will standup for the entire season. If he stays healthy we are a different team. We should be better this year especially at the end of games.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
A lot will depend upon Gilbert and his shoulder. If Gilbert can play the entire season Jalen will be fresher at the end of games. Last season Jalen was asked to do too much out of necessity.
Shoulders are tricky and I'm not convinced that Gilbert's shoulder will standup for the entire season. If he stays healthy we are a different team.
agreed... also we have a pg in anderson to help as well. Last year we didnt have another pg besides gilbert to help Adams out

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think he can and will take his game to another level but his numbers don't have to improve much in order to do so. Because of the addition of Gilbert and the other guards he will stay around the same stat wise although I think he may add another assist and rebound to last years numbers, actually could have some pretty good rebounding games if he's off the ball more.

Key is being fresh will help make better decisions and also with added guard depth will be able to help create better shot selection also. He may get up to 17-18 pts but I tend to lean towards him being more overall efficient in his game, although 20 from him would be huge provided its within the team concept.
Yeah, maybe his assists won't be high but I think he can get to 18-20 points a game with Gilbert there. If the team can get out and run he may average around the same assists he did last year... at least in conference play

Reaction Score
One area with lots of room for improvement is getting to the free throw line. Last year he averaged less than 3 FTs a game. He should get to the line with much greater frequency. He has to learn t draw fouls. This would make him a much more effective player.

As an impossible comparison, Kemba got to free throw line over 7 times a game, more than double JA.

Also, his goal should be 7 assists a game. Tough number to make (last year it 6 pg) but would love to see him challenge it.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If we apply the average deltas of Boat, Bazz and Kemba from Sophomore to Junior year than the expectations are:

19.5 points per 40 on 44% FG 38% from 3. 5.3 Assists to 2.6 Turnovers per 40.

Reaction Score
18 and 6. I hope he gets to the line more instead of settling for floaters and pull-ups.

But he could have a great season and still not get drafted. The reality is the pg position in the nba is completely stacked and there are many excellent pg’s that are not in the league.

Reaction Score
He needs to be visibly better than every guard he goes up against to be a first round pick. Put the team on his back and make plays. Then his measurables need to be great at the combine

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
ALL the players need to take it up a notch
All JA has to do is have the correct mental attitude going into the season knowing that the entire weight of the team does not need to sit on his shoulders
Will he be the go to guy? most likely but his game will be a bit different this season - perhaps more a scorer

Haven't we seen this type of post a few times since March?

Reaction Score
I expect him to be an all-American type player. I don't know exactly what that will look like or whether he will be recognized as such, but he should be a stud providing he's healthy. Defense is going to be a big factor in his transformation. Ollie asks his guards to do a lot defensively, and considering our personnel in the front court, he might be asked to do even more. He'll have to be pretty impeccable in his off-season strength & conditioning work to be able to give what Ollie will be asking him to give digging the ball out of the post, pressuring up to half court, and crashing back towards the basket to pick up rebounds.

Reaction Score
Don't know the numbers. But flirting with POY and 2 nd team AA. No bias but the arc is too similar to our most recent stars. The difference is I feel jalen had to lead more as a sophomore than any of the others, and far less help from his seniors and sadly the bench. He really shined in a tough year and played banged up (Iverson style) for most of the season.

Reaction Score
ncaashabazznapierjpg-8bf2261fe0bfbda8.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe his assists won't be high but I think he can get to 18-20 points a game with Gilbert there. If the team can get out and run he may average around the same assists he did last year... at least in conference play

We won't get out and run.

Reaction Score
We won't get out and run.

Yeah, we've never run under Ollie and there is no reason to expect that trend to end this season. I'd bank on us being among the slower teams in the nation.

C

Chief00

Yeah, we've never run under Ollie and there is no reason to expect that trend to end this season. I'd bank on us being among the slower teams in the nation.
You need to get a stop on defense and rebound to run.

Reaction Score
If we are one of the slower teams in the nation we'll be pretty bad. We don't have the low post offense or the shooters to succeed playing that slow

Reaction Score
You need to get a stop on defense and rebound to run.
Ollie has had elite defenses before, he is still a novice when it comes to tempo or even offense in general. Sort of like how he was as a player; solid defense and smart play but lacking offensive firepower.

Reaction Score
If we are one of the slower teams in the nation we'll be pretty bad. We don't have the low post offense or the shooters to succeed playing that slow

We were a slow team in 2014 and that group was similar in structure to the one we have now. That's not to say we won't score in transition and off turnovers, but we don't have the type of roster that can generate good looks in semi-transition. You typically need all five guys to be a scoring threat to do that and it helps if your guards are bigger. We're not UNC or UCLA. We're a lot closer to Villanoa (324th in tempo last year).

Reaction Score
We were a slow team in 2014 and that group was similar in structure to the one we have now. That's not to say we won't score in transition and off turnovers, but we don't have the type of roster that can generate good looks in semi-transition. You typically need all five guys to be a scoring threat to do that and it helps if your guards are bigger. We're not UNC or UCLA. We're a lot closer to Villanoa (324th in tempo last year).
2014 had bazz, boat, giffey, Daniels, and Calhoun. All whom we're outside threats. The only outside threat we are certain of is CV. We have no evidence of anyone else being a legitimate shooter. But nevertheless I understand your point. JA, TL, and AG need to knock down the outside shot for us to be successful

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom