Jalen Adams PG Comparison | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen Adams PG Comparison

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't get one and dones. He gets very good players, that benefit from the full four years of college.

Not sure I buy this. Ollie has brought in several players for just one year. And how many players has he recruited stayed at UConn for a full four years so far? It seems many leave early.

Reaction Score
The biggest differences between Adams and those three players is that Adams is working with an absolute tire fire of a roster and he’s not actually a point guard.

Square peg, round hole.
A lot of differences. Stats can be deceiving, Jalen's scoring numbers look good because getting in the lane and scoring around the rim comes so easy to him but he just shouldn't be compared to those other guards. It's one thing taking a play off here or there but Jalen takes whole halfs off. He isn't providing the leadership, toughness, and defense of the people he's being compared to.

Reaction Score
Not sure I buy this. Ollie has brought in several players for just one year. And how many players has he recruited stayed at UConn for a full four years so far? It seems many leave early.
Exactly, what I meant by that is that our talent is not at the level where kids go directly to the NBA after one year. The longer they are here, the better they will be for it.

Reaction Score
A lot of differences. Stats can be deceiving, Jalen's scoring numbers look good because getting in the lane and scoring around the rim comes so easy to him but he just shouldn't be compared to those other guards. It's one thing taking a play off here or there but Jalen takes whole halfs off. He isn't providing the leadership, toughness, and defense of the people he's being compared to.

The FG% are 3P% are also there to help give additional context to the photo beyond the counting numbers. My takeaway from these numbers is that 3P% needs to get better. At least 37-38% which may not sound like a lot but combine that with Vital shooting 35% and you avoid close games with mid majors and are competitive in games like v. Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Am i the only one that is not convinced that bringing back the same team next year with our incoming freshman class of course, isn't necessarily going to lead to better results? I don't see the problems that we are having on the floor vanishing because a year has passed.

Reaction Score
Remember Isaiah Briscoe? He left uk after two seasons but damn if he wasn't considered the next great one. Anyway we got Jalen 'instead' and he was at the time a great pickup.

If he is not progressing, dominating and/or playing high level then what is he being taught, and not taught? I really feel Jalen could be our next superstar but he needs to be managed better. Steph Curry at Davidson didn't have a great roster, nor Buddy Heild at Oklahoma.

If Jalen is our next AA he needs to start showing that quality in being able to take this team to higher levels. Kemba had freshman, and Bazz had no NBAer's yet both put the team on their shoulders. I'm not saying Jalen has to win a Championship, just saying that he needs to start proving he can win games with this group of players if he wants to leave UConn as an AA.

Isaiah Briscoe, From Wikipedia:
After going undrafted in 2017 NBA draft, Briscoe joined the Philadelphia 76ers for the 2017 NBA Summer League. In six games for the 76ers, he averaged 5.5 points and 2.2 assists per game. On September 14, 2017, he signed a training camp contract with the Portland Trail Blazers. He was waived by the Trail Blazers on October 13, 2017 after appearing in six preseason games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The biggest differences between Adams and those three players is that Adams is working with an absolute tire fire of a roster and he’s not actually a point guard.

Square peg, round hole.

Right now he's part of the tire fire I'm afraid. He's certainly one of the best but nothing to boast about. I believe you have something on the PG thought, not a PG now and would be better as an off guard/combo with someone like Alterique so he's been robbed of some spacing again. I mean 2-3 guys collapse on him when he gets to the middle of the lane or penetrates. But as a leader have a plan when you get there knowing this and make good decisions. Like it or not teams are not afraid of Anderson and Vital both are nice pieces but not AG. But he needs to bust his butt more, play harder both ends and there would be nothing to complain about.

Reaction Score
Am i the only one that is not convinced that bringing back the same team next year with our incoming freshman class of course, isn't necessarily going to lead to better results? I don't see the problems that we are having on the floor vanishing because a year has passed.
I'm sure there's others that would agree, but I don't. This roster is not lacking top end talent, the talent is just playing very poorly and has not developed (something consistent under KO). If you told me we brought back this team with the freshman coming in, with a new coach I think this team would look good. But that's a moot point as a new coach likely means mass changes to the roster

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Jalen Adams would be insane if he had a ball handling PG next to him to reel him in, and a halfway decent roster.
He would have the potential to be one of, if not the best offensive player in UConn history. As good as Kemba and Shabazz were, they carried teams on pure hard work to maximize their abilities, smarts, balls and leadership. Neither of them have the athleticism of Jalen.

Reaction Score
Jalen has the best athleticism of the three. Nobody outhustled Kemba and Shabazz was the smartest and craftiest We are very fortunate to have all 3 as Huskies.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams would be insane if he had a ball handling PG next to him to reel him in, and a halfway decent roster.
He would have the potential to be one of, if not the best offensive player in UConn history. As good as Kemba and Shabazz were, they carried teams on pure hard work to maximize their abilities, smarts, balls and leadership. Neither of them have the athleticism of Jalen.
Holy hyperbole batman. Jalen is more athletic than Bazz and has some more size than both of them but he's not the freak athlete many here make him out to be. Unfortunately I don't ever see him being close to as good as either of them for a host of reasons.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Jalen has the best athleticism of the three. Nobody outhustled Kemba and Shabazz was the smartest and craftiest We are very fortunate to have all 3 as Huskies.

I agree with both re Jalen’s athleticism but I think life teaches that smarts, balls, leadership and craftiness can go a long way to make up ground; whereas sheer athleticism without a healthy dose of those attributes often falls short.

I also agree that, without a healthy Alterique, Jalen doesn’t have nearly the supporting cast that either Kemba or Shabazz had, so I’m not sure it’s totally fair to judge him under these circumstances; but for whatever reason he hasn’t displayed those other characteristics much imo.

And his defense blows.

Reaction Score
Holy hyperbole batman. Jalen is more athletic than Bazz and has some more size than both of them but he's not the freak athlete many here make him out to be. Unfortunately I don't ever see him being close to as good as either of them for a host of reasons.

He's not in the best of shape and has just-ok lateral speed. He does have hops, and terrific body control.

Reaction Score

Amazingly, I find myself agreeing with what SuperJohn said as much as any one else on here about this. Jalen's problem isn't his athleticism, or his basketball skills. His problem continues to be between the ears. He is too often lazy, immature and seriously lacking in leadership skills. Terry Larrier's comment a few weeks back to me was not an indictment of Kevin Ollie - it was a ringing indictment of both him and Jalen.

If Alterique is done for this year we are in serious trouble - not just because we will miss his talent or point guard skills, but because he has already proven to be more of a leader than Jalen as ever been.

Greatness does not come to those who take the easy, lazy way out, as both Jalen and Terry do time and time again. Is Ollie partly to blame for this? To some extent. But when does Jalen get called on the carpet for his too-often selfish, half-assed actions both on the court and off as his responsibility, and not Kevin Ollie's? The guy is a junior, a 22-year-old junior at that. Maybe he needs to be held accountable for his own actions more often.

Oh... and happy birthday to Jalen. His birthday was yesterday. Just noticed it when looking at his bio on uconnhuskies.com.

Hopefully he taps into his more mature, responsible self in this new year. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I agree with both re Jalen’s athleticism but I think life teaches that smarts, balls, leadership and craftiness can go a long way to make up ground; whereas sheer athleticism without a healthy dose of those attributes often falls short.

I also agree that, without a healthy Alterique, Jalen doesn’t have nearly the supporting cast that either Kemba or Shabazz had, so I’m not sure it’s totally fair to judge him under these circumstances; but for whatever reason he hasn’t displayed those other characteristics much imo.

And his defense blows.
His defense is rough, he takes a lot of plays off, and his set shot holds his game back a lot and should have been fixed a while ago It's a shame because he is a magician in the lane and around the tin.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
His defense is rough, he takes a lot of plays off, and his set shot holds his game back a lot and should have been fixed a while ago It's a shame because he is a magician in the lane and around the tin.
Yeah his moves in the lane are the thing that stands out to me. He can thread the needle as well as anyone we’ve ever had.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Oz recently said that the team is starting to think they won’t have a scholarship available for 2018. That would mean one of Adams or Larrier staying. If both were to stay, there would need to be a transfer out, too. Larrier may be able to grad transfer depending on how he’s doing in the classroom, too.

There's always a transfer. Not even wanting anybody to leave, but kids come to college for a chance to play; if they are buried, they'll look for minutes elsewhere to get that chance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How is Jalen more athletic than Kemba Walker? Not as fast, not as quick, strength is a tossup, as KW was really strong for his size. Kemba doesn't wear down physically over the course of a game. And Kemba's doing that without taking a single play off.

Jalen's bigger, and probably jumps higher (probably due to size).

Reaction Score
If you gave him a do-over, I'm fairly certain DHam makes the same decision today.
Absolutely he would. If he ever wants to go back, the time he's spent already in the NBA this year would pay for the rest of his college education.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If you gave him a do-over, I'm fairly certain DHam makes the same decision today.
With Daniel Hamilton it was well-known that he just straight up hated going to school. I’m not sure how Jalen feels about that though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How is Jalen more athletic than Kemba Walker? Not as fast, not as quick, strength is a tossup, as KW was really strong for his size. Kemba doesn't wear down physically over the course of a game. And Kemba's doing that without taking a single play off.

Jalen's bigger, and probably jumps higher (probably due to size).
What always blew my mind about Kemba and Boat was that they typically played 35+ minutes and played balls to the wall for that entire time and never seemed tired. That was a huge advantage at the end of games. Jalen looks like he’s having an asthma attack at the first tv timeout.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
What of that was hyperbole? I used the word potential.

I never said Jalen would ever be anywhere close to those other two in a UConn uniform, because he's not. Although he has higher NBA upside than Shabazz I would think.

I highly rate Jalen's ability to get to the basket and ability to score, but it's mitigated by the head on his shoulders. I seriously think in the right situation, surrounded by the right supporting UConn cast, he would have the potential to become an all time Husky great. But that's not going to happen. That's all I'm saying.

Just by watching Jalen for going on three years now, he is bursting with talent. The dude can take over a game when his head is on straight. I absolutely love his game and ability. He just has had a **** team around him and doesn't have the intangibles to overcome that.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
What of that was hyperbole? I used the word potential.

I never said Jalen would ever be anywhere close to those other two in a UConn uniform, because he's not. Although he has higher NBA upside than Shabazz I would think.

I highly rate Jalen's ability to get to the basket and ability to score, but it's mitigated by the head on his shoulders. I seriously think in the right situation, surrounded by the right supporting UConn cast, he would have the potential to become an all time Husky great. But that's not going to happen. That's all I'm saying.

Just by watching Jalen for going on three years now, he is bursting with talent. The dude can take over a game when his head is on straight. I absolutely love his game and ability. He just has had a **** team around him and doesn't have the intangibles to overcome that.

Totally. Not hyperbole, he could, talent wise, be the most dangerous of the bunch. He's oozing with basketball ability.

But he's yet to turn that corner the way the others did, and frankly he's never really shown THAT aspect: those intangibles and BBIQ that made those guys great.

Obviously, the best players are not always the most talented. You saying that shouldn't be taken to task; you're 100% right.

Reaction Score
Can I just ask where narrative has come from that Jalen isn't a leader?

IIRC, Jalen is the one usually directing traffic and I remember often last season he would get very animated talking to other players after someone made a mistake. In fact, while Purvis/Brimah/Facey were the seniors last year, I always remember that Jalen was the one taking control of the situation based on who was doing the talking and motioning guys around on the court.

Some may say he doesn't make others better, but last I checked he averaged 6 assists a game where the only people shooting better than him from 3 were two freshman (Vital/Jackson). And the last time anyone got close to 6 assists a game was Shabazz in 2011-12 (5.8 APG) & AJ Price 2007-08 (5.8 APG) and last to exceed that was Marcus Williams with 8.6 APG in 05-06. He's so good at getting to the rim that he draws a crowd and creates open looks for others and often can make a nice pass to get it to that guy (no guarantee that guy will make it as we have seen time and again).

If you want to talk about defense, then yes it's not good and that may be what people are referring to and that requires effort and BBIQ but also can tie into leadership I suppose.

I look at these numbers and think it really just boils down to being more efficient from 3, playing better defense, getting to the line more frequently, and getting the FT% back to where it was last year. That's quite a list of to-do items but 10 games (he's actually only played in 9 -- hi scooter!) is still a small sample size.

Similar to my post in the Larrier thread, what's frustrating about this team is that we've seen the talent come from these players in flashes but it isn't gelling enough to be play 40 minutes of quality basketball.

No surprise, but if this team has any hope of turning this around, it's going to come down to Adams/Larrier/Vital stepping up because as we have seen there is not a lot of room for error with this team. The bigs are better than we thought while simultaneously being as bad (or raw) as we thought they would be.

P.S. This team must have a record for most traveling calls since the beginning of the 2016-17 season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom