Jake Voskuhl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jake Voskuhl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Funny thing is if you throw all of the guys we talk about above - Jake, Gavin, Boone, Freeman, Travis, etc etc you have one common theme they were very smart basketball players, learned and grew. They knew their role, you didn't require a "big mans coach' they just required a coach like JC. Jake wasn't getting lost during a play or wandering where he can't make an impact, leaving his guy to block a shot which he can't get to. These guys played their roles according to their strengths. They had the balls to rebound the ball in traffic,didn't need to be taught, the brains to read a rebound off the rim or actually off the opposing players hands. Jake was never a whiz with the basketball with his back to it, Travis would prefer making a jump shot from 12-15. Add Thabeet to the list, his numbers continued to get better and better for 3 years. Actually don't remember the years Clyde coached so not sure which one's he had. He was a fantastic coach and wished he hadn't screwed up, but again he didn't coach long so he didn't have all of these guys and may others who impacted our front lines. And in many these years I don't recall hearing "man so and so is such a great big man's coach" I just saw kids getting better because they were at UConn playing for Jim Calhoun and his staff.

Again, overrated! Just play basketball and learn.

Great post, you nailed it !!!

Reaction Score
Brimah and Facey both need to learn how to use their hips.

Proper technique with both boxing out and posting up requires that you stick your ass to the other player, so you can take advantage of the biggest bones and muscles in your body, around your hips. No matter how big or strong, if you don't use your hips properly (by standing too erect, like Brimah), smaller players who do will move you around at will.

I seriously don't think the coaching staff teaches this.

Both are seniors and if they don't get it now, they never will.

Reaction Score
I don't get the love for Gavin Edwards.

Gavin turned himself into a solid basketball player, would be starting and helping this team without a doubt. Better than any big man we have now was the pint, and by his senior year, a commendable job by an unheralded skinny recruit coming in from AZ.. Wish we had others that grew!

Reaction Score

Proper technique with both boxing out and posting up requires that you stick your ass to the other player, so you can take advantage of the biggest bones and muscles in your body, around your hips. No matter how big or strong, if you don't use your hips properly (by standing too erect, like Brimah), smaller players who do will move you around at will.

I assure you that our coaches know that boxing out requires the hips. They are paid a lot of money to be better at this game than you and I.

Brimah is not a savvy player because he didn't pick up the game until he was 16 or something. He also doesn't carry any weight in his lower body which makes using those hips pretty tough.

He could learn but he hasn't. The game becomes much MUCH more complicated than "use your hips" at this level. He has not picked up those nuances in his years here and probably won't ever.

We need to recruit a big or two that has been playing the game for a while. Tough part about that is those guys are often very highly regarded and go to the Kentucky and dukes of the world. 7ft doesn't grow on trees.

Reaction Score

Kidding right? I was teaching boxing out for 30 minutes a practice to 12-13 year olds on a Jr Pro team for a Boys Club and they were damn good at it after a month. You actually hear yourself, believing the staff doesn't have box out drills and one-on-one box out sessions? If they had good coaches in AAU (probably not) and HS/prep they've been taught for years. It's up to them by now, actually 2 years ago if they want to be good at it. Get real people.

Reaction Score

Need to learn how to use their hips? They are freaking seniors!

Reaction Score
Didn't Jake have a ten year NBA career?
Yes. Solid lunch pail guy , also started as a frosh with Rip and Freeman with Ricky and I believe if Kirk King didn't get in trouble they could've done some damage come tournament time . The freshman were growing up fast right in front of us . You just knew there were good times coming which eventually led to a championship . Does Jake have a kid we could use .

Reaction Score
There was another Center that pre-date's Jake and was very effective while in the game, though it seems JC never like playing him: Dan Cyrulik. What burned me was that after a very good game for him, the Journal Inquirer had a big article on him. After that JC didn't play him as much and I could never understand why.....

Reaction Score
why can't KO get a tough blue collar guy? Would rather see a 6'7'-6'8" bull with hands rather than a 6'10 string bean.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He was always looking for contact, thrived in a physical game. We've never had anyone set a pick like Jake and anyone who stood their ground so well on the low block. Not a lot of points, not a ton of boards (mainly because he was the one boxing out keeping people from the ball allowing others to grab the rebound) but absolutely 100X better than anything we have. Loved Jake's game. plus you could give him the ball at the top and he could pass it and find people. Underrated Husky
... and could start the break with a great outlet pass. He is exactly what this team needs.

Reaction Score
... and could start the break with a great outlet pass. He is exactly what this team needs.

Thanks CL82 haven't even began to talk about how awful we are with our outlet passing. I mean they need to hand it off to be sure. Only fast breaks are when the guards get the rebound.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Voskuhl used to drive me nuts as a cuse fan. Guy did a bit of everything. Him and etan thomas had some good wars down low.
I rewatched an old game recently between SU and UConn in January of 1996 and it brought back memories of how tough Otis Hill played and how smooth John Wallace was. UConn held on to win that one-- a very good game. Ray Allen and Ricky Moore starred for us in that game. Travis Knight and Kirk King held their own.

Reaction Score
Voskuhl never scored 20 points in a game and never exactly filled up a stat line but he would absolutely destroy our current stable of big men. The man knew how to set a screen, lay a body on someone and outlet pass. Facey, Brimah and Enoch should be so incredibly embarrassed by this performance. This is a veteran frontcourt and they now actually look the part with added muscle. Never seen a group of 6'10 athletes play so soft and uninspired in my basketball watching life. It's to the point where we should never expect a successful post move outside of an Enoch hook shot every once in a blue moon but for godsakes box somebody out, set a screen, don't get outworked by 6'6 guys with half your athleticism. We've never exactly had superstar big men outside of a few but guys like Voskuhl, Sellers, Donny Marshall and Selvie would lay waste to these guys. Have a little pride in the UConn jersey, stop getting punked and get a rebound. Calhoun would never let this happen.

Actually ... Enoch put up 5 shots in very limited minutes. So, that's wrong!

Reaction Score
Honestly ... this talk is bunk. BUNK I say.

The real difference - and the link between Sellers to Knight to Voskuhl to others ... is we need OLD SCHOOL Calhoun back. (apparently Kevin Freeman isn't quite up to mouthing toughness)

Reaction Score
Just got done rewatching the first half of the last game. We legitimately set two effective ball screens in the whole half, and would you believe it, scored off both.
Yeah , I said this was an issue, dating back to last year. even the year prior, pretty much since daniels and giffey left. Nolan set good screens but was not a threat on the roll or pop. I'm pretty certain KO isn't even coaching offensive skill development in practice ( things like screening or ball handling or cutting), its the only explanation of the continued ineptitude on one side of the court but excellence on the other.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The best part about Jake was, during that time being a huge UConn fan, I brought the team to my team's attention.

That lead to my high school center, a big sort of uncoordinated goon with blonde hair, but who was improving and sprouted to about 6'9, deciding to sport the Voskuhl, including sideburns and swooping blond lettuce.

Great champion, solid big man...but that's his best (worst) contribution.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Gavin turned himself into a solid basketball player, would be starting and helping this team without a doubt. Better than any big man we have now was the pint, and by his senior year, a commendable job by an unheralded skinny recruit coming in from AZ.. Wish we had others that grew!

That disastrous season, Kembas soph year and Gavin's senior, I had my blue-colored glasses on not recognizing the chemistry issues and general lineup issues...but I looked to a huge year from Gavin and Stanley, but realized quickly Gavin was much better as a reliable piece on a stacked team than a 1-2 option on offense.

Reaction Score
He works in the oil/energy industry as a broker. A friend of mine worked for Glencore in Stamford and would see Jake come through the office from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom