Jacobs - UConn Teams Need A Better Home In Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs - UConn Teams Need A Better Home In Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The better question to ask isn't whether UConn arena is better off close to downtown Hartford, but whether the UConn campus is better off closer to downtown Hartford.

A move to near the EH UTC campus would be a tremendous opportunity for growth. Cheap land, lots of space, tech and financial companies nearby, chance to build a complete campus.

Would have to leave the cows behind in Storrs along with the Ag school.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN is able to receive bonding on a $1.5B investment to expand research fairly easily because the "payment" is that UCONN is used to generate crowds in various parts of the state. Playing games in Bridgeport, Mohegan (WBB), and Hartford is part of the price UCONN (and us fans) has to pay to continue to receive blank checks for things like campus expansion, satellite campus construction and new research facilities.

I, too, think UCONN should play the majority of games on campus. The atmosphere between Gampel and the XL is night and day. Gampel games play better on TV with a more lively, energetic crowd thanks to more students at games. Not to mention, the team plays with extra energy at Gampel (thanks to the better atmosphere) and winning is every bit as important to get UCONN out of the AAC as how our games attract viewers. If they have to play 1-2 games in Bridgeport and 3-4 games in Hartford, then fine. But it should be no more than 4-5 games total away from Gampel and there should be zero conference games away from campus. UCONN already has an off-campus stadium for football and the atmosphere suffers (when there are actually fans in the stands) because the students aren't there to support the team.

Use the money to renovate Gampel and add some luxury boxes and other VIP bells and whistles. The XL, or any new Hartford arena, should be an investment made by Hartford or Connecticut with the thought of attracting professional entertainment (NHL, concerts, conventions, etc). UCONN can play a few games a year there but it should not be forced to be the arena's headliner. What's best for UCONN and our CR profile is to play exciting games for TV and to win. Both happen more often at Gampel than XL.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The better question to ask isn't whether UConn arena is better off close to downtown Hartford, but whether the UConn campus is better off closer to downtown Hartford.

A move to near the EH UTC campus would be a tremendous opportunity for growth. Cheap land, lots of space, tech and financial companies nearby, chance to build a complete campus.

Better yet, why not move Hartford closer to Storrs? Plenty of land, lots of opportunities for a city close to a university, etc. etc.

Reaction Score
If a KFC Yum Center sprouted in Hartford the "all games at Gampel" crowd would diminish. These places are really something else and if by some miracle Hartford does build a new building it would be insane for UConn to move more games on campus especially if they get a chance to sell their own luxury suites. Also a state of the art arena in the middle of our population base can only help our p5 profile.

Reaction Score
brasssbonanzaa said:
Wait, now we're suggesting moving UConn in its entirety????? You can't be serious.

Yeah - they just put the championship signs up by Exit 68. Be a shame to have to move them to a different exit.

Reaction Score

wat

Reaction Score

Well we all know that isn't happening in our lifetime. Do you know how much money has been spent on infrastructure on the Storrs campus? And what it would cost to recreate that somewhere else? Tens of billions I'm sure. For what, a 25 mile difference? That would be more than insane.

Reaction Score

Spare about $10-15 billion?

We did this at my school. We're out in the swamps of Jersey---uh? Plenty of space in old industrial east of the city. Easy move. How much would it cost to rebuild? $10-15 billion.

Reaction Score
UCONN is able to receive bonding on a $1.5B investment to expand research fairly easily because the "payment" is that UCONN is used to generate crowds in various parts of the state. Playing games in Bridgeport, Mohegan (WBB), and Hartford is part of the price UCONN (and us fans) has to pay to continue to receive blank checks for things like campus expansion, satellite campus construction and new research facilities.

I, too, think UCONN should play the majority of games on campus. The atmosphere between Gampel and the XL is night and day. Gampel games play better on TV with a more lively, energetic crowd thanks to more students at games. Not to mention, the team plays with extra energy at Gampel (thanks to the better atmosphere) and winning is every bit as important to get UCONN out of the AAC as how our games attract viewers. If they have to play 1-2 games in Bridgeport and 3-4 games in Hartford, then fine. But it should be no more than 4-5 games total away from Gampel and there should be zero conference games away from campus. UCONN already has an off-campus stadium for football and the atmosphere suffers (when there are actually fans in the stands) because the students aren't there to support the team.

Use the money to renovate Gampel and add some luxury boxes and other VIP bells and whistles. The XL, or any new Hartford arena, should be an investment made by Hartford or Connecticut with the thought of attracting professional entertainment (NHL, concerts, conventions, etc). UCONN can play a few games a year there but it should not be forced to be the arena's headliner. What's best for UCONN and our CR profile is to play exciting games for TV and to win. Both happen more often at Gampel than XL.

Wait, you're equating the state giving UConn $1.5b for research to UConn playing 2 or 3 bball games a year around the state?

Reaction Score
If a KFC Yum Center sprouted in Hartford the "all games at Gampel" crowd would diminish. These places are really something else and if by some miracle Hartford does build a new building it would be insane for UConn to move more games on campus especially if they get a chance to sell their own luxury suites. Also a state of the art arena in the middle of our population base can only help our p5 profile.

The YUM center is a boondoggle. People are being sued over it. If they tried it in Hartford, someone better call Rowland to ask what his experience was like in politics.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wait, you're equating the state giving UConn $1.5b for research to UConn playing 2 or 3 bball games a year around the state?

No. I'm just simply stating that UCONN has to play games around the state as partial payment for state funding. My preference would be 100% games at Gampel. But playing a handful of MBB and WBB games around state as well as football away from Storrs is part of the price.

Reaction Score
Is it worth the investment just so UConn can play some games in a better Hartford facility? If a new Hartford facility can bring in more business and the numbers make sense then build away.
As far as concerts are concerned, this is not the 80's. There are fewer concerts than can fill a venue like the XL Center. Performers typically get 80% of the gross with the promoter paying costs out of his 20%. A few performers (Springteen/Stones etc.) can command as much 90%. They care more about their take than the building as they should.

Reaction Score
As a current student I don't really think people understand how big of a hassle it is when UConn plays at the XL center. If students do not have a ride in a car they must take a school bus to the game ($4 a bus ticket, adds up between all the football games and XL games...if a season ticket holder bus should be free but thats a whole nother story). The last bus leaves campus an hour and a half before tip-off which for many students is a turn-off because that means getting to the arena 45 minutes early. Personally I don't care about that, I get there as early as possible.

Secondly, and more importantly, the student section at XL and the overall environment pales in comparison to a game at Gampel. So am I selfish in thinking that everything should be geared towards the students? Yes. But I truly believe I will still feel this way as an alum down the road. The student section NEEDS to be improved at the XL if we are going to continue playing there. Plain and simple.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
People really think they should play in Hartford as a thank-you for all the state funding do realize that Hartford is just where they voted on the money, right? 98% of the votes to provide the funding were from legislators who are not from Hartford.

Playing games there because of state funding is a canard.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you want a more enthusiastic crowd, increase the amount of good seats for students. The XL is bigger and has less student energy for that very reason. A stadium that attracts more middle-aged, corporate fans will not do this.
Just clarify what we want to accomplish before we start building or it will all be about providing political favors and corporate bling.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
People really think they should play in Hartford as a thank-you for all the state funding do realize that Hartford is just where they voted on the money, right? 98% of the votes to provide the funding were from legislators who are not from Hartford.

Playing games there because of state funding is a canard.

100% of State Legislators spend a big potion of their life in Hartford. Doing something to help Hartford is more popular than you think.

zls44

Reaction Score
100% of State Legislators spend a big potion of their life in Hartford. Doing something to help Hartford is more popular than you think.

I'm all for Hartford, but I resent this idea that UConn basketball has an obligation to help the city because the rep from Moodus or East Windsor voted for UConn 2000/21st Century UConn while they were at work in Hartford.

Wanna play a few games in a nice new facility? Dislike it, but can deal. Move them all? Insanity.

Reaction Score
I'm all for Hartford, but I resent this idea that UConn basketball has an obligation to help the city because the rep from Moodus or East Windsor voted for UConn 2000/21st Century UConn while they were at work in Hartford.

Wanna play a few games in a nice new facility? Dislike it, but can deal. Move them all? Insanity.
This. If they want to build a new arena, playing five or six games a year, and one big one works. But the prospect of playing the whole schedule is absurd. And they really ought to provide a free bus to students for the game. Charging $4 a game for a college student, on top of the ticket cost, and the food you have to eat since you're gone for so long, adds up really, really quick when you're poor.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As a current student I don't really think people understand how big of a hassle it is when UConn plays at the XL center. If students do not have a ride in a car they must take a school bus to the game ($4 a bus ticket, adds up between all the football games and XL games...if a season ticket holder bus should be free but thats a whole nother story). The last bus leaves campus an hour and a half before tip-off which for many students is a turn-off because that means getting to the arena 45 minutes early. Personally I don't care about that, I get there as early as possible.

Secondly, and more importantly, the student section at XL and the overall environment pales in comparison to a game at Gampel. So am I selfish in thinking that everything should be geared towards the students? Yes. But I truly believe I will still feel this way as an alum down the road. The student section NEEDS to be improved at the XL if we are going to continue playing there. Plain and simple.

Maybe the state could start by providing 5 to 10 "real buses" to UConn for athletics and other activities and charge two different student season package prices- one with transportation and one without- add an elective to the school bill of no athletic event season ticket package or an all sport package. If someone doesn't have a transportation inclusive package then charge fee for the trip. If parents or student won't pay with bill, and student is on workstudy, have an autopay out of wages.

I agree that all league games are to be on campus

Reaction Score
WTF Jacobs? UConn being forced to try and solve some of Hartford's problems in the past has been the cause of some of UConn's problems for years. When the students are home for winter break, fine have a few games in Hartford, even the first conference game or two, and a game in Bridgeport to make the Fairfield donors and alumni happy; but the rest, outside of an annual marquee game in NY (or IZOD/Pru), need to be on campus where the loud, not leaving early to beat the traffic student fans stay for the entire game and make it hard place for opposing teams to win. Heck, UConn has a stronger need for a new 12K arena on campus never than Hartford has in a new 18K arena for a NHL team that is never coming.

Afterall, I don’t hear the State of Ohio telling Ohio State basketball that it needs to move from their on campus 19K arena 4 miles down the road to the Nationwide Arena to save downtown Columbus. Ditto for U Minnesota, Michigan St, UCLA, U Washington, Indiana, Pittsburgh, etc.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I agree with Jeff Jacobs 100%. I am not old fashioned or idealistic about UConn or college sports in general, and have no particular allegiance to Storrs, although I find it pleasant, the teams are in a much bigger marketplace in Hartford.

zls44

Reaction Score
I agree with Jeff Jacobs 100%. I am not old fashioned or idealistic about UConn or college sports in general, and have no particular allegiance to Storrs, although I find it pleasant, the teams are in a much bigger marketplace in Hartford.

The teams belong to the school. Always have, always will.

NOT Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69