Jacobs Thurs Courant | The Boneyard

Jacobs Thurs Courant

Reaction Score
Even though he doesn't want to go back to the contentious relationship with KO like he had with Calhoun, Jacobs is on target with today's piece and there's nothing to argue with here. Especially the parts about Vance , his father, and Enoch. And I think there's not much argument from what I read here with the fan base. We need talent, one and done or otherwise. KO is making changes and he's on the hotseat but not the frying pan and the only thing is that his contract gives him time, if it were only 2 years left, things would be much dicier for him should next season go south.

Reaction Score
Jacobs, and I hate to admit it, is spot on. Vance, Sr. clearly has a much higher opinion of his son than any on court performances would suggest. Enoch simply wasn't that good. For UConn, its simple. To get back to being elite, it starts with roster construction. Its not hard to recognize that Ollie was brutally honest with both players on their roles next year and neither liked what they heard. Reality bites sometimes. If you look past the emotional attachments fans garner over time, the recent developments were very encouraging in terms of where this program is heading. To get back to being UConn, we need to recruit UConn talent.

Reaction Score
A really well written and fair article. I am optimistic because I truly believe for Ollie to be successful, he needs to have his imprint on the program. He needs his players and his coaches. I realize that Vance and Steve were recruited by Ollie, but there were still restrictions placed upon our recruiting, and I think this is a valuable lesson for Ollie on what kind of kids we want in our program.

This season is a must for several reasons. I think we will see UConn add a couple more pieces before next Fall, but I hope it does not come at the expense of being able to recruit 18 and beyond. In other words, I don't want to fill a position just to fill a position, then a kid ends up transferring. An overhaul was needed, and I am okay with that as long as it yields results. How long do we give Ollie? I think this next year might be a little soon. I think we see the full plan in place by 18-19, I just hope we have the patience to wait that long.

I love the core coming back, and I think Jalen will have the ability to will us to a winning season and will make his biggest jump from sophomore to junior year. I still trust Ollie, and I am very excited about Chillious. Here is to some more good news coming soon!

Reaction Score
Jacobs, and I hate to admit it, is spot on. Vance, Sr. clearly has a much higher opinion of his son than any on court performances would suggest. Enoch simply wasn't that good. For UConn, its simple. To get back to being elite, it starts with roster construction. Its not hard to recognize that Ollie was brutally honest with both players on their roles next year and neither liked what they heard. Reality bites sometimes. If you look past the emotional attachments fans garner over time, the recent developments were very encouraging in terms of where this program is heading. To get back to being UConn, we need to recruit UConn talent.

Really well said. I loved it when Jacobs commented that Ollie is not going to beg anyone. I want kids that want to be here and understand their role and faults.

Reaction Score
"A lot of it is on the athlete."
I'm always amused when coaches get basted by fans for the lack of development of players. Of course these fans have never been to a practice and have no clue of the abilities of the coaches. Do they really believe that a Div. 1 coach doesn't know x's and o's or the training methods to develop big men? Sure some coaches are better than others as with anything but the coach has to have players who can grasp the coaching and take it to the game and execute. Is it Glen Miller's fault that Brimah didn't get it or that it took Facey 3 years to figure it out? Incidentally, these are 2 players who grew up playing soccer. It would have been easier to improve their corner kicks than develop their basketball skills.
I have no idea how good or bad Glen Miller is at coaching big men but nobody else on the this board does either. "A lot of it is on the athlete."

C

Chief00

"A lot of it is on the athlete."
I'm always amused when coaches get basted by fans for the lack of development of players. Of course these fans have never been to a practice and have no clue of the abilities of the coaches. Do they really believe that a Div. 1 coach doesn't know x's and o's or the training methods to develop big men? Sure some coaches are better than others as with anything but the coach has to have players who can grasp the coaching and take it to the game and execute. Is it Glen Miller's fault that Brimah didn't get it or that it took Facey 3 years to figure it out? Incidentally, these are 2 players who grew up playing soccer. It would have been easier to improve their corner kicks than develop their basketball skills.
I have no idea how good or bad Glen Miller is at coaching big men but nobody else on the this board does either. "A lot of it is on the athlete."

If you can't develop it with the guys you have you need to recruit it, unfortunately Miller did neither successfully. The thought is at least Chillious can recruit Bigs. We will see.

C

Chief00

Really well said. I loved it when Jacobs commented that Ollie is not going to beg anyone. I want kids that want to be here and understand their role and faults.
I think Jacobs is wrong again.While I wouldn't use the word beg - young people need to be counseled and brought along. A take it or leave it attitude is short sighted.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think Jacobs is wrong again.While I wouldn't use the word beg - young people need to be counseled and brought along. A take it or leave it attitude is short sighted.
And babying them for a few years at the expense of others isn't beneficial nor will it prepare them for any hardships with their play if it drops or their futures

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, and no chief. I do think Geno has this right. And Belichick looks at players the same way in the NFL. A kid who is reluctant to do things the way you want them done isn't going to be an asset, no matter how talented. At UConn that means committing to play defense among other things. A lazy defensive player with great offensive gifts...move on.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes, and no chief. I do think Geno has this right. And Belichick looks at players the same way in the NFL. A kid who is reluctant to do things the way you want them done isn't going to be an asset, no matter how talented. At UConn that means committing to play defense among other things. A lazy defensive player with great offensive gifts...move on.
He even mentions in the article how kids transfer without even thinking twice. Get a kid who's all in from the jump so you don't worry down the road

Reaction Score
Wow, best article by Jacobs I ever read. I like the fact that KO has the guts to make the hard choices like fire Miller to get Chill. To be honest I don't think I could do that. That's great leadership by KO making tough decisions for the benefit of the organization.

Reaction Score
Even though he doesn't want to go back to the contentious relationship with KO like he had with Calhoun, Jacobs is on target with today's piece and there's nothing to argue with here. Especially the parts about Vance , his father, and Enoch. And I think there's not much argument from what I read here with the fan base. We need talent, one and done or otherwise. KO is making changes and he's on the hotseat but not the frying pan and the only thing is that his contract gives him time, if it were only 2 years left, things would be much dicier for him should next season go south.
It is a fair article, but struck me as rather transparently spoon-fed from Ollie versus as you characterize being possibly contentious. The paragraph "Kevin Ollie wants better players" is more ridiculous than obvious.

It is subtle and doesn't reference anyone but Miller, but I don't buy the notion that KO had coerced or forced loyalty to the Calhoun coaching tree. Freeman and Ricky Moore are KO's buddies and its simply smart business to have someone tenured and experienced as associate head coach. "Ollie clearly wanting to bring in his own guys" well its his staff, f-----n' hire them yesterday!

I'd portray the story as KO relied on Calhoun's legacy and involvement/process for initial success and over the past 3 seasons it has become more KO's program and he's struggled with everything from commitment (his, coaches, players), recruiting, player development and in-game coaching. When one area improves another seems to suffer and although the buck stops at top, to be fair that's also gotta be partially attributable to staff. So just now he gets it and starts to make changes?! Much like players defecting from something that's not working versus having faith it'll get corrected, the UConn AD & Ollie need to continue critical self-evaluation and staff evaluation to make sure the right coaching staff/team is in-place quickly. No room for error aka sticking finger in the next leak in the damn.

You want better players?! Scout them better, Recruit them better, coach them better.

C

Chief00

Geno and Belichick can point to multiple Championships and consistent excellence - so people tend to trust them more than others. If you don't have that track record then another approach is needed.

Do you really think KO wanted Vance and Steve to leave?

Reaction Score
Do you really think KO wanted Vance and Steve to leave?
No I don't think KO wanted them to leave but I do think he wanted them to play defense, fit into his offense strategy, and put the team first.

If a coach lays out the terms for playing time and the players do not want to do what is required then it is time to move on. It's even worse if the father makes a counter-offer which involves giving a deficient player even more of a role.

I'm sorry Enoch and Jackson left but if it was their way or the highway then transferring was the best of bad options.

Reaction Score
Now Enoch is all of a sudden a bum just to make the coach look good? Geez.
Two months ago people were screaming for KO to bench Brimah during games and put Enoch or someone else in who could first catch an interior pass and then not travel with it, or kick it back out to the perimeter without causing a TO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom