Jacobs Article: UConn Men Must Be 'Bigger And Badder' Around The Rim | The Boneyard

Jacobs Article: UConn Men Must Be 'Bigger And Badder' Around The Rim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good article by Jacobs. He points out a lot of things that have been said here all season. It would be nice to add another graduate transfer for next season that can rebound and be another defensive force in the post. I think our success next season will be determined by how these guys improve over the summer. A core of Hamilton, Brimah, Purvis, and Adams is good, but like Jacobs said in the article, Brimah should average a lot more than 4 rebounds a game.

Reaction Score
Brimah also needs to stay out of foul trouble and be on the floor. He averaged only 21 minutes a game in the 25 games he played in.

Reaction Score
frontcourt definitely had its issues but that wasn't the only reason for the loss on Saturday, our guards were having alot of issues delivering passes and getting into the offense due to Kansas's defensive pressure on the perimeter. Mason/Graham/Selden were doing to our guards and wings what Boat/Bazz/TSam(at times)/Giffey were doing to perimeter players in the 2014 tourney.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think Mamadou Diarra is going to play big minutes next year.

Why? He will be ready to play hard-nosed D on the first day of practice. He will have the highest motor on the team. He won't need to have touches to get points - he'll get points on putbacks, cleaning up on fast breaks and alley-oop dunks from Hamilton.

He is will be a beast on the glass.

Reaction Score
The notion that the top 5 in the Conference weren't good (OOOOH ... they went 1-4 in MM - and three HOWEVER had tough draws) is wrong. As is the idea that UConn walks in to being 14-4. This Team could have been a 4 or 5 seed; but, a lot of things had to be done better. My biggest frustration was fouls. While I often blamed the Conference refs, I have come to realization that we made the dumb fouls often. Miller in particular. Should the 14-4 have been achieved? I'd say (1.) Miller is more of a factor; and (2.) Adams & Enoch & Brimah play far better. The first two part of that equation was a maturation curve that you could poke and nudge ... but it is what it is. They are getting better; we need a whole lot more.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Brimah also needs to stay out of foul trouble and be on the floor. He averaged only 21 minutes a game in the 25 games he played in.
He should also work on catching the ball with his palms/fingers/hands whatever and not his wrists. He goes up for a rebound and tries to catch it with his wrists

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One of the reasons there were so many KU rebounds: We missed so many goshdarn easy shots. Add to that the fact that Kansas bigs are built like brick s--thouses...and you get what you get.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons there were so many KU rebounds: We missed so many goshdarn easy shots. Add to that the fact that Kansas bigs are built like brick s--thouses...and you get what you get.
Yup. We had so many shots rim out, probably bothered by their strength. Made for very easy rebounds for them

Reaction Score
The notion that the top 5 in the Conference weren't good (OOOOH ... they went 1-4 in MM - and three HOWEVER had tough draws) is wrong. As is the idea that UConn walks in to being 14-4.
Crazy talk. This team had the talent and hype of a "final four team" in November and played - some of the time - like that was true. If you fancy yourself a final four team, you don't lose 7 games in the AAC regular season. That's just a fact. That isn't saying that every team in the league stinks, they just aren't THAT good. Going 11-7 in the old Big East, in the SEC, ACC, Big 10, or Big 12 is one thing. Going 11-7 in the AAC is another.

Reaction Score
Good article thank you for the link. Sounds like @mauconnfan wrote it!

He has to be wrong about AB, c'mon. :rolleyes:

Anyone can see the need for some muscle and smarts down low, at least anyone with eyes and a brain. Where does it come from is the question? Gurley mentioned juice and maybe grads, it would be nice to find someone who understands the game, can move some opposing player without being knocked out of the play like a pencil. But is there anyone out there willing to come to a program like this with what would be still limited minutes, unless of course they are special?

This remains the interest in the spring and summer as we hear names bandied about.

Reaction Score

This and the fact you can rebound with one hand while swatting the flies aside with the other.

Reaction Score
He should also work on catching the ball with his palms/fingers/hands whatever and not his wrists. He goes up for a rebound and tries to catch it with his wrists

The other thing is he should "go up" for a rebound instead of always trying to wait on the ground. When he does elevate he's a decent rebounder it's just not enough. Always flat footed.

Reaction Score
Crazy talk. This team had the talent and hype of a "final four team" in November and played - some of the time - like that was true. If you fancy yourself a final four team, you don't lose 7 games in the AAC regular season. That's just a fact. That isn't saying that every team in the league stinks, they just aren't THAT good. Going 11-7 in the old Big East, in the SEC, ACC, Big 10, or Big 12 is one thing. Going 11-7 in the AAC is another.

Right back at you.

The 6 - SMU, Cincinnati, Temple, UConn, Tulsa, Houston - are fairly good teams. To my eye, underrated & underseeded. And then I look at the NEW BE & I will tell you that Seton Hall, Butler, PC aren't better than the 6. And across the board, I see average. Iowa? Purdue? Vandy? Colorado? Oregon State? USC? All are not head & shoulders above any of the AAC 6.

Saying that we were Final Four quality is breathtaking. But ... when I contrast our guys to KU, I get the talent point. We played totally out of rhythm and disconnected much of the year; our defense DID get much better; but, we just do not have the quality needed to be in the last weekend. Not this year. Is it Kevin Ollie coaching? The guy - IMO - is developing. Self put on a clinic the other day. I think we know we can get the current type of kids we bring in to that level.

Reaction Score
Right back at you.

The 6 - SMU, Cincinnati, Temple, UConn, Tulsa, Houston - are fairly good teams. To my eye, underrated & underseeded. And then I look at the NEW BE & I will tell you that Seton Hall, Butler, PC aren't better than the 6. And across the board, I see average. Iowa? Purdue? Vandy? Colorado? Oregon State? USC? All are not head & shoulders above any of the AAC 6.

Saying that we were Final Four quality is breathtaking. But ... when I contrast our guys to KU, I get the talent point. We played totally out of rhythm and disconnected much of the year; our defense DID get much better; but, we just do not have the quality needed to be in the last weekend. Not this year. Is it Kevin Ollie coaching? The guy - IMO - is developing. Self put on a clinic the other day. I think we know we can get the current type of kids we bring in to that level.

Self's TO when we were playing UConn hoops and got it down to 9 was a "clinic." They came out, ran a play for their guy Ellis and he knocked down the shot. Then a missed shot or TO and they hit a 3 and bang - 15 down. 2 things happened there, a great TO called by the coach and having a player who could make that play at crunch time. We are close again but they had 2 up on us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Is it Kevin Ollie coaching? The guy - IMO - is developing. Self put on a clinic the other day. I think we know we can get the current type of kids we bring in to 3that level.

Difference is that UK had experienced PGs. Experienced PGs help make things a whole lot less disjointed.

Reaction Score
Difference is that UK had experienced PGs. Experienced PGs help make things a whole lot less disjointed.

Eh, it helps but only when they're making shots like they were in the first half. Both Mason and Graham looked less experienced in the 2nd half when things weren't going so well and they were throwing bricks. I will take Graham all day but you can have Mason, the guys all or nothing.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Good article. Unlike most here, I think he is good...IF he stays off his high horse

But we would be entering a 5th straight year w/o a strong front court and without the ability to rebound. Miller is somewhat of an an exception, but still, when the teams got big we couldn't handle it? Have to see if Enoch & Diarra can handle it. An addition would be great. But I don't think an effective replacement is likely.

So don't look for another perimeter player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3