Jacobs Article: UConn Men Must Be 'Bigger And Badder' Around The Rim | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jacobs Article: UConn Men Must Be 'Bigger And Badder' Around The Rim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is it just me or does Jacobs get all of his subject material from the Boneyard?
I believe Bob Dylan would call that "the folk process." It's service to the public at large that he synthesizes and presents our collective wisdom, absent the granular hissy fits.

Serious question: is Alterique Gilbert really 6'1" as JJ wrote, or is he "6'1"" like Shabazz was "6'"?

Reaction Score
It was a time out that a ton of coaches would have made - yes - even KO. Let's not make it like it was a unique situation/call
The shot Ellis made was a buster AND it was a shot he made with his eyes closed all day
I honestly don't think UConn would ever get much closer - the inside game of UConn, AB, PN and SM was abysmal.
Time to get some real men to play those 4 and 5 positions - PRONTO
As I've said in past posts - If AB doesn't come back with a marked improvement in his hands, rebounding footwork and position and the ability to score within 2 feet of the hoop - its time to move on
How does this remotely make any sense? What exactly are we moving on to?

Reaction Score
The other thing is he should "go up" for a rebound instead of always trying to wait on the ground. When he does elevate he's a decent rebounder it's just not enough. Always flat footed.

I've never seen a basketball not jump for rebounds more than Amida. Not sure if it's leg strength, lack of instincts, or what; but there are many times where he literally does not leave his feet to try and board.

Reaction Score
We had 2 game changing point guards on the cloor at the same time. I don't know hiw KO is going to attempt to do this frankly but our talent level has to go up in some way, what we had was not good enough and it showed all year.

I'd imagine he's going to up the talent level by recruiting better players, which is what he's been doing every year as the recruiting restrictions have lessened and are now gone completely. Not sure if you noticed but he just pulled in a top 10 recruiting class featuring a top 10 PG, that coupled with the maturation of Adams/Enoch, and Purvis/DHam/Larrier/Facey/Brimah seems to be a program headed in the right direction. I don't know maybe you see things differently.

Reaction Score
Saying that we were Final Four quality is breathtaking.

I did not say this team was "final four quality". I said they had the talent and the hype of a final four team in November. That and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

Reaction Score
Pretty easy to guard a team when they know no one in the front court can score though. They were all over Miller and overextended on the guards, we need a big who can catch the ball, pass it and also set a pick with the ability to roll and score. We have none for now and that hurts an offense. And Miller at 6'6" PF was overmatched in this one and it showed in size.
Heck, even Miller wasn't good / decisive on the perimeter. Exclude him and nobody else in the front court can even CATCH the ball off of a pick and roll, nevermind score.

Reaction Score
Wow what a d**k you are huh? Speaking of old dusty a** you're f'mn hilarious with that pitiful response. Do me a favor and GFY.;)

The post wasn't even saying anything against what you said funny stuff.
ROTFLMAO!!! I was going to respond for you with a handy GFY!!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd imagine he's going to up the talent level by recruiting better players, which is what he's been doing every year as the recruiting restrictions have lessened and are now gone completely. Not sure if you noticed but he just pulled in a top 10 recruiting class featuring a top 10 PG, that coupled with the maturation of Adams/Enoch, and Purvis/DHam/Larrier/Facey/Brimah seems to be a program headed in the right direction. I don't know maybe you see things differently.

Outta the way ace. Guy's doing work:

91sn32Q.jpg

Reaction Score
Nolan actually put on a bunch of muscle a couple years ago. It actually hurt his game, according to some observers. He didn't have the same foot speed, and that took away one of his few advantages (defensively). He plodded.

Baloney

Nolan WAS Nolan. Certain people around the Boneyard wanted PN to get no minutes; I think Phil more than showed his value this year ... at key moments. This is where interior defense and footwork is ignored by those who didn't really play the game at any level; PN didn't score, rebound or block to your number's mindset. All he did was defense a interior guy better than the other 3 guys.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nolan WAS Nolan. Certain people around the Boneyard wanted PN to get no minutes; I think Phil more than showed his value this year ... at key moments. This is where interior defense and footwork is ignored by those who didn't really play the game at any level; PN didn't score, rebound or block to your number's mindset. All he did was defense a interior guy better than the other 3 guys.

Uh, I agree with all of that. My point was that Phil was noticeably slower (maybe more lethargic) his second year than his first. He put on, what like 15 pounds of muscle? I forget what then number was. Either way, it appeared to shift back the other way in the back half of his career.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think it is sad that Shonn came here to play in the tourney, got there and had what may have been his worst 2 games while at UConn after being our most consistent player all year.
Kansas' bigs were a good reason for half of that.
Too bad. I like Miller

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think it is sad that Shonn came here to play in the tourney, got there and had what may have been his worst 2 games while at UConn after being our most consistent player all year.
Kansas' bigs were a good reason for half of that.
Too bad. I like Miller

Shonn, with his makeup, could compete against both size and skill, but not the two together. Unfortunately, Kansas had multiple bigs with both qualities.

Reaction Score
I went back to read the roster stats on Kansas players that Shonn was going against and if you believe them he was in the ballpark but the eye test he was giving up bulk. Same story all year with him many times going up against bigger players. I applaud what he gave us and thank him for being so committed. For next season we have to stop fooling ourselves, Jacobs is not wrong and so far our roster does not have the full answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom