Jackson's New Floor? | The Boneyard

Jackson's New Floor?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson had some nifty passes but definitely wasn't as sharp as he was Tuesday.

But still..................

6 points
7 boards
5 assists
1 steal
4 TO's
5 fouls

23 minutes.

Are now at the point where 6/7/5 in 23 minutes is a "bad" game for Jackson?

Early in second half UConn had 2 on 1 fast break with Jackson coming down the lane and Sanogo on the wing. I was so hoping for a big launch and flush by Jackson. Unfortunately Sanogo was thinking the same thing as me and the pass from Jackson to Sanogo went off Sanogo's finger tips out of bounds for a TO.

UConn players have to keep their eye on Jackson when he has the ball up to the point Jackson shoots. He has shown he is willing to give up basic shots for himself and try to make the tough pass to a teammate for an easy basket. Still a work in progress.

Reaction Score
Love the talent, but still room for a lot of growth. Still has to be more careful with the ball at times and not put players in bad spots when the catch the ball. Can't let bad passes or decisions help get the bigs in foul trouble. Sanogo was lucky he just turned it over on the fast break and didn't get a charge.
Still, he reminds me of a Pippen-like player. He may never go for 30 in a game, but he could be a triple-double waiting to happen guy.

If he can ever get a solid mid-range jumper, than he could become the triple-double guy with potential for a high points total, too.

Still, he's young and he has a lot of time. Just keep him healthy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’d love him to watch film of Richard Hamilton. If this kid could learn to control his athleticism instead of going warp speed too often he’d be impossible to defend. Attacking the basket is fine if it’s really there. A pull up game wouid open up a lot for him including better passing angles.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He's probably our best defender.
Maybe. His main issues are on O where his instinct to be in a hurry to create something gets super sloppy several times a game. Physically he is so strong and rangy but he’s still like a young thoroughbred colt that needs to be held back just a little and make the aggressive move when the opening is really there. He’s fun to watch but in a lot of ways it’s still a lot of potential.

Reaction Score
Hopefully there are some nba camps he can go to this summer. We all know he is going to put in the time individually to work out and improve his skill set. But a nba camp where he can play with athletes who play at similar pace and athleticism should allow the game to slow down for him a touch.

Reaction Score
He has to play fast to learn how to play fast. There is no other way to do it. We are going to have to live with it. It hasn't really cost us much so far and the result will be oh so beautiful. Lots of it is pretty beautiful right now.

Agreed. Give me sins of aggression over sins of passivity any day. His instincts to push the break are Doron-esque and a huge plus for the team. As time goes on, he'll get better and better at it.

Reaction Score
His defense is still poor one-on-one. He’s in the air when they twitch an eyebrow.
Most of the time it doesn’t matter. He recovers very well and causes havoc. He plays defense from behind, which if done well is very bothersome.

Reaction Score
I also feel like most of Hawkins hoops have come off Jacksons assists. For whatever reason Hawkins plays with significantly more confidence with AJ alongside him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with Jackson. He's averaging, what. 8/8? His motor is unmatched and like like @superjohn said he might be our best defender. He and Sanogo have improved the most and it's not even close. I really enjoy watching him play. I mentioned awhile ago and @Chin Diesel just mentioned, Jackson plays like a soccer player when it comes to passing. He sees the play develop before it happens and his teammates are two steps behind.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He has to play fast to learn how to play fast. There is no other way to do it. We are going to have to live with it. It hasn't really cost us much so far and the result will be oh so beautiful. Lots of it is pretty beautiful right now.

Took Taliek Brown better part of 3 1/2 years to learn how to do that.

Reaction Score
The turnovers are the problem and they tend to happen in big momentum moments -- dribbling through traffic at midcourt turns a fast break for us into a fast break and easy points for them.
This is the issue. His turnovers are loud if that makes sense. If he could just eliminate those the sky is the limit.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm in awe watching him play. He is so good with the ball in his hands and constantly gets our guys good looks. He definitely has to clean some stuff up, but his handle has improved even from the beginning of the year so I expect him to continue improving. If he can develop that floater or drive more aggressively and get fouled more/start making his shots in the paint, he's going to be unstoppable. He's got All-American potential next year if he cleans these few things up.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's probably our best defender.

This is too ridiculous for words on a team with the reigning DPOY and a guy who can block 10 in any given game. He is disruptive, long, has a nose for rebounding, and is a good help defender but as an on ball defender he is the weakest among the starters. No one is perfect, but he is exploitable be other teams not named Butler.

I'd be stunned if Nova doesn't clear out for whoever he's guarding and jumping him every time he puts the ball on the floor. That might be worth 10pts against us to a good team.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This is too ridiculous for words on a team with the reigning DPOY and a guy who can block 10 in any given game. He is disruptive, long, has a nose for rebounding, and is a good help defender but as an on ball defender he is the weakest among the starters. No one is perfect, but he is exploitable be other teams not named Butler.

I'd be stunned if Nova doesn't clear out for whoever he's guarding and jumping him every time he puts the ball on the floor. That might be worth 10pts against us to a good team.

Nah. I mean he’s got some on ball D growth he needs still ,sure, but you mention nova, and when their guards try to post and back down defenders we won’t have a better defender than AJ . Gillespie treated cole like a rag doll last year. He ain’t getting away with that on Andre.

Reaction Score
If I were Jackson’s coach I would be selling him on coming back another year and demonstrating he could run a team as PG.
He will be a lottery pick in 2023 with his athleticism and that skill set. He could be a cornerstone stone of a team if he proves to that he could make his teammates better.

Reaction Score

I'm just curious as to who the guy is who can block 10 shots in a game. We are second in the nation in blocked shots and our leader is Sanogo at 2.4 per game.

Reaction Score

Jackson leads the team in defensive win shares and who can block 10 shots in any given game? The most blocks we've had by a single player is Adama with 6.

What a ridiculous post.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Nah. I mean he’s got some on ball D growth he needs still ,sure, but you mention nova, and when their guards try to post and back down defenders we won’t have a better defender than AJ . Gillespie treated cole like a rag doll last year. He ain’t getting away with that on Andre.
yeah, sure. g will just fake him out of his jockstrap, or just blow by him, and then lay it in, iffn he doesn't nail a half court 3 first. nova is flawed on the interior, and i think that is where we can/will stick it to them, but g's offense inside ain't.
seriously, why can't a good and improving player here be enjoyed for itself, and not feel a need to extrapolate to an 'all-american' expectation?
do youse ever watch the rest of d-1 players in the land? do they even exist? and if they do, are there any lights out, no questions asked, obviously superior players amongst them? there are. lots and lots of them.
some of them are current freshmen.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom