Jackson vs Kolek | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jackson vs Kolek

pj

Reaction Score
The games he scores a lot are the games they lose. Maybe you should let him score, and stop the other guys?

And .... this is what we did. Kolek was their leading scorer but only had 4 assists and the other starters were a collective 7 for 23 (30%, only 6 shots each).

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
And .... this is what we did. Kolek was their leading scorer but only had 4 assists and the other starters were a collective 7 for 23 (30%, only 6 shots each).
You could even hear Hurley say that when they had him mic’d up. He said “don’t be upset if Kolek scores something wild at the rim, we check everyone else.”

Reaction Score
I think it's really hard for Kolek to get assists if you stop the other 4 guys from scoring. I honestly think you might want to play off him and focus on shutting down everyone else.
So, your theory is, if nobody Kolek passes to is able to score, it will be really hard for him to get assists?

Reaction Score
Sort of. He does more damage as a passer than scorer. Let him score, limit his passing. He scored 17 tonight, well above his average, and his team lost by 15. I think I was right.
"I think it's really hard for Kolek to get assists if you stop the other 4 guys from scoring." What's the alternative way? How do assists work?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"I think it's really hard for Kolek to get assists if you stop the other 4 guys from scoring." What's the alternative way? How do assists work?
You’re attempting to criticize me by quoting me and illustrating how my suggested approach was (a) correct and (bj embraced by Hurley and staff as well?

Reaction Score
You’re attempting to criticize me by quoting me and illustrating how my suggested approach was (a) correct and (bj embraced by Hurley and staff as well?
Fair enough, so I'll type slowly. I am a) not "attempting" a criticism; b) I am indeed criticizing you for posting a truism that it is hard to record an assist if the other four players on the floor are unable to score; c) this has nothing to do with Hurley; and d) I'm not sure you know how assists work.

Reaction Score
Kolek is a really good player who reminds me of John Stockton
In some respects.

Good ball handler and distributor, and good shooter. Overall, Stockton was clearly a better player.

But, Stockton played very good defense as I recall. I don't think the same could be said for Kolek.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In some respects.

Good ball handler and distributor, and good shooter. Overall, Stockton was clearly a better player.

But, Stockton played very good defense as I recall. I don't think the same could be said for Kolek.
LOL at people comparing him to an NBA hall of fame top 5 PG in history.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
????

They gave him the space to pass, and took away options from the players he was passing to. An alternative would be, for example, trying to suffocate him and stop the assist on his end.

Reaction Score
????

They gave him the space to pass, and took away options from the players he was passing to. An alternative would be, for example, trying to suffocate him and stop the assist on his end.
I'm at a bit of a loss with you guys. The OP said, "he can't get assists if his teammates don't score." Brilliant analysis.

Reaction Score
AJ No one will care about you in the league without a mid range jumper.
You won the last 2 games for us with your defense.

Reaction Score
If there is such a thing as drafting a player for a task specific thing like stopping the opposing team in a tied game in the last few minutes of the game, or cooling the hot hand of an off the rails shooter, maybe AJ could play in the "League."

A 15th guy on the bench for a time-specific or task-specific role.

Just speculating. I don't know of anyone in the NBA now who fits that description.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You could even hear Hurley say that when they had him mic’d up. He said “don’t be upset if Kolek scores something wild at the rim, we check everyone else.”
I thought that according to the boneyard Hurley couldn’t game plan lol. Their plan for Marquette last night was amazing and Jackson (and the others who drew the assignment) did an amazing job taking him away.

I actually really liked how after they got the big lead they moved Jackson onto one of their shooters and put someone else’s on Kolek. Really good in game adjustment.

Reaction Score
The games [Kolek] scores a lot are the games they lose. Maybe you should let him score, and stop the other guys?
prophetic post. kolek was their top scorer last night, while prosper, jones, and ighodaro combined for 11 on 3-12.

Reaction Score
prophetic post. kolek was their top scorer last night, while prosper, jones, and ighodaro combined for 11 on 3-12.

You can't stop good players totally (usually), so you take away their best weapon. We took away Kolek's best weapon--his passing. That's excellent game-planning. Whoever had the scout last night deserves a bonus; that was well done.

Reaction Score
You can't stop good players totally (usually), so you take away their best weapon. We took away Kolek's best weapon--his passing. That's excellent game-planning. Whoever had the scout last night deserves a bonus; that was well done.
The games he scores a lot are the games they lose. Maybe you should let him score, and stop the other guys?
Luckily @pj did the scouting report

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom