Jackson vs Kolek | The Boneyard

Jackson vs Kolek

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This will decide if we win or lose. Kolek is the engine for Marquette. He’s crafty and runs the offense for his Top 10 team exceptionally well. If we can limit or stop him, I’m not sure who else on Marquette can fill that role

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
IDK man, I feel like Jones or Prosper could put up 30 on any given night if you aren't careful about them.
Kolek is a walking double double and a triple double threat. Those guys can put up pointsbut Kolek is their most important player, and arguably their best

Reaction Score
IDK man, I feel like Jones or Prosper could put up 30 on any given night if you aren't careful about them.
They play a 3 guard lineup with Prosper at the 4. Its a tough match up for Karaban. We may Alleyne/Diarra with Jackson at the 4 mixed in alot.

Reaction Score
They play a 3 guard lineup with Prosper at the 4. Its a tough match up for Karaban. We may Alleyne/Diarra with Jackson at the 4 mixed in alot.
I actually like the karaban omax matchup more than I’d like something like a karaban Fremantle or Karaban ndefo

Reaction Score
Kolek is a walking double double and a triple double threat. Those guys can put up pointsbut Kolek is their most important player, and arguably their best
100% need Andre do to kolek what he did to primo spears. Or at least limit him. I even like a high hedge on kolek. This is a team we need to sit in front of the 3 point line on. Close out strong but don’t chase too hard out there. This is a game we need to grind out. Play physical and dominate the interior.

Reaction Score
I actually like the karaban omax matchup more than I’d like something like a karaban Fremantle or Karaban ndefo
How so? He can take AK off the dribble all day. One of AK's weaknesses is he is not athletic. Freemantle aint breaking him down. Freemantle will try posting him up and like last game we were able to give him help. I'm not worried about Ndefo at all.

Reaction Score
100% need Andre do to kolek what he did to primo spears. Or at least limit him. I even like a high hedge on kolek. This is a team we need to sit in front of the 3 point line on. Close out strong but don’t chase too hard out there. This is a game we need to grind out. Play physical and dominate the interior.

Stopping a scorer is Andre's specialty. Kolek's weapon is his passing... will be interesting to see how/if he adjusts. Takes more BBIQ to stop a facilitator.. can't just rely on being fast and strong.

Plenty of data on the scout by now.. we've got this.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He's really good and definitely their most important player, but I feel like you need more than 1 double double in 78 career games to be a walking double double
I forgot I have to be exact here and leave no room for common talk. Thanks for going through his history. I should’ve said, “Tyler Kolek is as close to a walking double-double as you can be without getting more than one double-double in your career.”

49DA268B-7ACF-476B-97B4-E0603B9CEA98.jpeg
25F499E7-B147-4301-8362-A193B4ADDFE7.png

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Kolek didn’t score last time we played them but did a great job of setting up the team (in particular Ighodaro who had himself a night against Adama). I’m also worried about Prosper but I think Karaban has actually improved pretty significantly since the last time they matched up.

Reaction Score
How so? He can take AK off the dribble all day. One of AK's weaknesses is he is not athletic. Freemantle aint breaking him down. Freemantle will try posting him up and like last game we were able to give him help. I'm not worried about Ndefo at all.
Karaban outplayed omax last time around. Barely but still did. 2 games vs Xavier: at gampel freemantle and hunter combined for 20, at Cintas freemantle and hunter combined for 31 and karaban fouled out at 20 minutes of play time. KC Ndefo had one of his best games of the season guarding karaban. I don’t know if unathleic is the best description of him. AK has played pretty solid against bigs on the perimeter this year I feel like. More worried about how sanogo matches up with ighodaro defensively. Traditional 4’s have had good games against Karaban.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it's really hard for Kolek to get assists if you stop the other 4 guys from scoring. I honestly think you might want to play off him and focus on shutting down everyone else.

Reaction Score
JC used to talk all the time about cutting the head off the snake. You won’t completely stop Kolek but making it as difficult as possible for him will be key. Tough because he is such a good passer. Will be interesting to see how they choose to defend MU

Reaction Score
I think we match up well with Marquette. The last time we played, our big men feasted, AK and AJ were good, but Hawk and Newton struggled. They’re both playing much better now. We definitely need to tighten up the D to win this one. Home court should help. I like our chances.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think it's really hard for Kolek to get assists if you stop the other 4 guys from scoring. I honestly think you might want to play off him and focus on shutting down everyone else.
Interesting thought given both times Kolek was over 20 pts, Marquette lost.

Reaction Score
I honestly think Kolek is slightly overrated, but agreed that we should be AJax on him. Cut the head off the dragon so to speak. Hawkins on Jones and Newton on Joplin/Mitchell. One nice thing about having some height at the PG position is it allows us to be a bit more versatile defensively.

Side point, I remember when we recruited Kolek as a transfer and I didn't think he was a high enough level player for us and was a bit confused why we were recruiting him. He's proved me wrong :(

Reaction Score
Speaking of defense. We saw it last game, hope this new focus continues to pay dividends.

Reaction Score
Kolek didn’t score last time we played them but did a great job of setting up the team (in particular Ighodaro who had himself a night against Adama). I’m also worried about Prosper but I think Karaban has actually improved pretty significantly since the last time they matched up.
Kolek had 6 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists plus 5 turnovers. Its not like he dominated the game. Their big man had a field day plus they had 20 points off 16 turnovers.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Interesting thought given both times Kolek was over 20 pts, Marquette lost.
Honestly, I think you need to make him beat you by scoring. At the very least, taking away his passing and forcing him to shoot puts Marquette out of their comfort zone. He's not Andre, you can't ignore him completely, he can shoot, but it's not really what they want him doing on volume. I'm just saying, back off a bit and play the passing lanes. Even tipping his passes out of bounds may get Marquette out of rhythm. He's not that quick, he's not blowing by anybody.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I forgot I have to be exact here and leave no room for common talk. Thanks for going through his history. I should’ve said, “Tyler Kolek is as close to a walking double-double as you can be without getting more than one double-double in your career.”

View attachment 83861 View attachment 83862

stat sheet stuffer sounds like a good description!

Reaction Score
Prosper guarded Hawk in the first game and really shut him down. He is really good

pj

Reaction Score

View attachment 83861 View attachment 83862

The games he scores a lot are the games they lose. Maybe you should let him score, and stop the other guys?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom