Jabri Abdur-Rahim Decision Tomorrow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jabri Abdur-Rahim Decision Tomorrow

Reaction Score
It will take UCONN making some major noise before we are going to get looks from the Top50 recruits which are not in NE/NY/NJ. These kids have choices to go to established winning programs against top competition.

Reaction Score
It will take UCONN making some major noise before we are going to get looks from the Top50 recruits which are not in NE/NY/NJ. These kids have choices to go to established winning programs against top competition.

jabari is from jersey tho....

slightly annoying UVA already has 3 2020 recruits locked down in july of 2019 and we still don't even know who our centers are for this season

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
must of been the grits...
Nah, then he would have chosen Syracuse. They are a very gritty (and plucky!) team.

Reaction Score
slightly annoying UVA already has 3 2020 recruits locked down in july of 2019 and we still don't even know who our centers are for this season
You are comparing UConn to a school who just won the championship, has a great coach and staff, a great program, very good school and great college town. Not fair.

Some fun facts:

*6 of the top 50 recruits have committed.
*22 of the top 100 recruits have committed.
* 43 of the top 200 recruits have committed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We cannot live in the past. The old regime and putting players to the professional ranks is gone. This is the opportunity to create a new chapter. I liken this to the Calhoun pre-NIT days. We have not competed at a regional, let alone national level in 4+years. It is time to starting building w/ sweat, tears, and blood where the players that graduate are astonishingly different (Cliff Robinson) and exponentially more skilled then when they entered the program. Then we will have something to hang our hat on and attract local talent (Chris Smith)who have options to play nationally, overlooked talent (Nadav H), and the beat/grind continues.

I know I am forgetting many players which assisted in the journey, but i believe the point is fairly straightforward.

Reaction Score
just won a chip: 4>1
great coach and staff: hurley and co.
great program: heading back to a power conference
great school: irrelevant if they leaving after 2 years for the nba (see memphis state)
college town: charlottesville is racist

if you're resigned to the fact that UVA is miles ahead of us as a program then what was hurley doing going after the same recruit as them? just wasting time? i'm not gonna be the one to admit that
Recruiting is more about the moment in time than the past. Being the current champion is >>>> than national championships in the past with a different staff. Love Dan Hurley's potential but he doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as Tony Bennet. Big East is one of the 6 best basketball conferences while the ACC is the best. You are correct on the great school aspect but Virginia seems to attract high character guys due to the Calibre of the school. The racism point is embarrassing.

Listen UConn basketball needs butts in seats so please continue to watch the games but maybe following recruiting isn't for you.

Reaction Score
Listen UConn basketball needs butts in seats so please continue to watch the games but maybe following recruiting isn't for you.

lol so you disagreeing with some of my points (as part of a pro-uconn argument) means i've lost posting privileges? k

and just to be clear, if recruiting is all about recency bias, then you ARE in fact saying hurley was wasting his time going after JAR since UVA was too...

anyways, your armchair insights into the lives of highschoolers is vital to the programs success so keep it up. totally unnecessary to make ad hominem arguments on an anonymous board but you took it there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
lol so you disagreeing with some of my points (as part of a pro-uconn argument) means i've lost posting privileges? k

and just to be clear, if recruiting is all about recency bias, then you ARE in fact saying hurley was wasting his time going after JAR since UVA was too...

anyways, your armchair insights into the lives of highschoolers is vital to the programs success so keep it up. totally unnecessary to make ad hominem arguments on an anonymous board but you took it there.
Hurley is not wasting his time going after any recruit he thinks he has a shot at. Realistically us beating out Virgina over a recruit we both want would be a major recruiting victory for us. All of the points you made in your post in your "pro-UConn argument" UVA's program edges us out in. Like I said, they have the better coach,, better league, current Natty > any number of past Natties, and I would argue that the academic standards at UVA gives them an advantage with high character recruits

Reaction Score
Hurley is not wasting his time going after any recruit he thinks he has a shot at.

thank you. if Hurley had the confidence to go head to head with UVA over a recruit then it's not ridiculous to compare the programs. we have a higher ranked recruiting class than them this season. having said that i'm not surprised at all that JAR picked UVA over us. i was only expressing a mild degree of annoyance at the fact that they're an entire year ahead of us in the recruiting cycle. we're all supposed to be on the same side here.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We cannot live in the past. The old regime and putting players to the professional ranks is gone. This is the opportunity to create a new chapter. I liken this to the Calhoun pre-NIT days. We have not competed at a regional, let alone national level in 4+years. It is time to starting building w/ sweat, tears, and blood where the players that graduate are astonishingly different (Cliff Robinson) and exponentially more skilled then when they entered the program. Then we will have something to hang our hat on and attract local talent (Chris Smith)who have options to play nationally, overlooked talent (Nadav H), and the beat/grind continues.

I know I am forgetting many players which assisted in the journey, but i believe the point is fairly straightforward.

We cannot live in the past but pretending it doesn't exist is absurd. This program is nothing like the pre-Calhoun UConn program. Come on.

UConn is a name. People know who Ray Allen and Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier are.

We've got work to do but we're not starting from scratch.

Reaction Score

Agree to disagree on pretty much all of this.

What Nomar said.

Reaction Score
Guys, come on gut check time. We are not in the national headlines discussions anymore with anything positive (exception the recent BE news). It's a what have you done for me lately sport, let's not pretend. Place yourself in the shoes of these kids w/ talent...short road or long road to NBA?

You have to start w/ the long road players (unless $$ are part of the deal) and we all know our rep w/ the NCAA gangsters. I agree we need to have several plans (a JAR being optimal), but also realistic plans with players to grow/challenge/coach up. My point is we may get very lucky and land 1, but that will be many moons, stars, legacy's, and Hurley's aligning...rare, and hope is not a strategy.

Reaction Score
Guys, come on gut check time. We are not in the national headlines discussions anymore with anything positive (exception the recent BE news). It's a what have you done for me lately sport, let's not pretend. Place yourself in the shoes of these kids w/ talent...short road or long road to NBA?

You have to start w/ the long road players (unless $$ are part of the deal) and we all know our rep w/ the NCAA gangsters. I agree we need to have several plans (a JAR being optimal), but also realistic plans with players to grow/challenge/coach up. My point is we may get very lucky and land 1, but that will be many moons, stars, legacy's, and Hurley's aligning...rare, and hope is not a strategy.

JC didn't get all that many either especially early. The stars rarely win it all for anyone anyway but it's nice to sprinkle them in here and there to keep the headlines, or shall I say get them back. Anyway just win again it will all come back slowly and DH can create his own legacy beginning now. No need to dwell on the crap years we were handed but get the name back out there. The people that mentor many of these kids certainly know the brand, it will make its way back through them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom