JA, KO Offer Reassurance UCONN Will Be Back | Page 3 | The Boneyard

JA, KO Offer Reassurance UCONN Will Be Back

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn-mens-basketball/hc-UConn-men-husky-day-0420-20170419-story.html

"UConn is going to be UConn," said Jalen Adams, who led the team in scoring and assists and will return for his junior season. "No one will forget the history that UConn has built. And then with Coach Ollie, me, Terry [Larrier], Alterique [Gilbert], they're going to want to come play with us. People are considering coming here. Hopefully they do come and things will work out."

"I thought they all loved it here, so it kind of surprised me," Adams said. "I wish those guys could be a part of what we're building because I truly believe it's something special, but those are all my brothers. We connected over the past year, with Steve the past two years, so I just wish the best for those guys wherever they feel they need to be I support them 100 percent."

"I was kind of disappointed," Christian Vital said. "Steve is one of my best friends, one of the reasons I came here, Vance and Juwan, we kind of had a group going and we were looking toward the future. But those guys made decisions they felt was best for them and you have to respect that.

"We have a good core group, the five of us, and we have some good talent coming in. The coaches are trying to bring in guys that are going to help around the core that we have."
Not saying I don't like what he is saying, but Calhoun never would have permitted his star player or any player to talk like this to the press if it had been under these same circumstances. I mean a disastrous season and all. Especially being just a sophomore. It has always really bothered me how Adams got special treatment on the bench, like arguing with KO during a game like it was ok, now this. I can't wait for KO to announce that Jalen Adams will be the first ever player/coach in NCAA history. It's things like this that make me a little pessimistic already on this upcoming season. I hope I'm wrong.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Not saying I don't like what he is saying, but Calhoun never would have permitted his star player or any player to talk like this to the press if it had been under these same circumstances. I mean a disastrous season and all. Especially being just a sophomore. It has always really bothered me how Adams got special treatment on the bench, like arguing with KO during a game like it was ok, now this. I can't wait for KO to announce that Jalen Adams will be the first ever player/coach in NCAA history. It's things like this that make me a little pessimistic already on this upcoming season. I hope I'm wrong.

I'll bite.

What?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Was there a "Husky Day" when Calhoun was
Coaching?

Reaction Score
Im going to give you the benefit of the doubt and allow you to explain what JA said the was so wrong before calling this post idiotic

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Funny that in the Q+A with Jacobs Ollie reiterates like ten times that he didn't ask any of the guys to leave after Oz (who is apparently Ollie's boy) said publically that Juwan was asked to leave. Can't imagine that KO was too happy about that and makes me question Oz's credibility as an "insider."

Why would he admit that he asked a player to live? Did Ollie admit that he asked Lubin to leave?

Reaction Score
Why would he admit that he asked a player to live? Did Ollie admit that he asked Lubin to leave?
Thats apples to oranges. There is more talent in juwan durhams left arm than there is in lubins whole body. You dont ask a player with durhams potential to leave. That is malpractice

polycom

Reaction Score
Thats apples to oranges. There is more talent in juwan durhams left arm than there is in lubins whole body. You dont ask a player with durhams potential to leave. That is malpractice

While the talent comment is true, it doesn't change the fact that Ollie didn't admit he asked Lubin to leave..why would he start that practice in the first place? That's horrible for recruiting, you ask a player to come to your school if it doesn't pan out you ask them to leave...?

Reaction Score
Funny that in the Q+A with Jacobs Ollie reiterates like ten times that he didn't ask any of the guys to leave after Oz (who is apparently Ollie's boy) said publically that Juwan was asked to leave. Can't imagine that KO was too happy about that and makes me question Oz's credibility as an "insider."

You can ask a player to leave without actually asking him to leave and he kind of hints at that in the Q&A. He said he laid out the culture and what he expects from his players. Well if juwan didn't fit that directive then he was probably informed players who did would get the playing time

Reaction Score
While the talent comment is true, it doesn't change the fact that Ollie didn't admit he asked Lubin to leave..why would he start that practice in the first place? That's horrible for recruiting, you ask a player to come to your school if it doesn't pan out you ask them to leave...?
Thats common practice in div 1 ball. Calhoun is rumored to have done it also. Lubin just wasnt close to a UConn level player.

polycom

Reaction Score
Thats common practice in div 1 ball. Calhoun is rumored to have done it also. Lubin just wasnt close to a UConn level player.

First you take Ollie at his comments...then you say it's common practice in D1...which one is it? Talent isn't the only thing that matters, you have to fit the culture the program is trying to create as well....

Reaction Score
First you take Ollie at his comments...then you say it's common practice in D1...which one is it? Talent isn't the only thing that matters, you have to fit the culture the program is trying to create as well....
Im sorry i probably wasnt clear. I believe Ollie asked lubin to explore some other options that'd suit him better(leave). I dont believe he did that with the 3 transfers. I agree he laid down the law and guranteed a culture change would be taking place, and they simply didnt want to be apart of that. I think the two scenerios are just different

Reaction Score
You can ask a player to leave without actually asking him to leave and he kind of hints at that in the Q&A. He said he laid out the culture and what he expects from his players. Well if juwan didn't fit that directive then he was probably informed players who did would get the playing time

yea all coaches do this all across the country tell a kid hes not going to play much means leave

Reaction Score
Soooo negative. Go and cheer for another team loser.
So somebody who has 99% of his/her posts on the women's board and knows nothing about the men's game personally insults me because he/she doesn't like my opinion about the team I love. Go back to the women's board where it's all unicorns and rainbows and you can discuss only winning games by 60 points.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
yup. not sure when it started but I see references to it on the CT House website in 2011. JC retired in 2012
Thanks. Just wanted to know if He was ever involved in this kind of thing and if he did this joint function with Geno. I do think that Kemba, Shabazz, etc. would've had the opportunity to briefly speak on the situation
like Jalen did.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
A lot of this is just PR fluff. He contradicts himself so much it makes it hard to follow what he's actually trying to say.

Reaction Score
I am NOT an Oz supporter by any means- but it's possible that with a simple one-letter typo, "has asked to leave" turns into "was asked to leave". Having said that, I'm glad he's been dethroned.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Where does he contradict himself?
Enoch is gifted offensively, but wasn't good enough to see the floor over Facey/Brimah.

Miller is part of the family, great guy on the bench but we needed a new direction - goes against everything about "10 Toes In."

Maybe I'm just dumb and looking into into it too much. Obviously I'm bias I'm upset to see Enoch and Miller leave.

Reaction Score
Enoch is gifted offensively, but wasn't good enough to see the floor over Facey/Brimah.
I'm not sure that's a contradiction so much as there being two sides to each coin. I think most of us did see flashes of good/decent offensive abilities in Enoch. At the same time, we should all be able to agree that his defensive abilities were lacking. Ollie may have thought that Facey and Brimah's defensive abilities were enough to "overshadow" Enoch's offensive abilities.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think you can publicly say 'yeah, we're rebuilding' at a program like this. Everyone knows that more or less - it's a rebuilding year - but not necessarily in the traditional sense. He's right - there's a good core of talent here, but there's also a lot of question marks. I do like the mentality they're taking to this year in terms of saying 'these are going to be our guys, now what are the things those guys lack that we can add to amplify that core' and that's a thing they just haven't done a good job of in the last few years. There IS a scenario where this team is quite good next year. I'm not ready to say that yet, or anywhere near ready to say that yet; but that possibility does exist. But I kind of like this plan a little more than dumping lots of pro prospecty talent into a funnel and hoping the talent peaks its head up.

I don't think "rebuilding" is even a thing at this level of college basketball. If it is, Kentucky is in that mode every year. Football....yeah, many don't start until their 3rd year and you have 60 guys you need to bring in, build up etc. Basketball? We are talking about 8 players realistically, of which half need to be very good, and the other half competent complimentary pieces.

You can win with: (1) overwhelming young talent; (2) a team of savvy gritty veterans or (3) a team with some very talented young guys mixed in with savvy veterans. Three formulas. Kentucky and UNC run option 1 every year. Most schools run option 2 or 3. If you are trying to win with option 2, you may need to rebuild. This is what happens at smaller schools who have one strong team of upperclassmen every once in awhile.

UConn has always had a blend of stars and role players. I don't think we're short on star talent next year. Now that involves a leap of faith that Larrier and Gilbert will be what they showed early last year, and Adams will be even better. I do like the odds on that. Who are the complimentary pieces? That's the issue. Vital is reliable as one. I think Anderson will be as well. So we need a couple of guys from the group of Diarra, Cobb, Polley and Carlton to be valuable contributing role players. Or, we need another grad transfer who would perhaps be less of a risk. But we certainly have a path to be an NCAA team next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom