JA, KO Offer Reassurance UCONN Will Be Back | The Boneyard

JA, KO Offer Reassurance UCONN Will Be Back

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-husky-day-0420-20170419-story.html

"UConn is going to be UConn," said Jalen Adams, who led the team in scoring and assists and will return for his junior season. "No one will forget the history that UConn has built. And then with Coach Ollie, me, Terry [Larrier], Alterique [Gilbert], they're going to want to come play with us. People are considering coming here. Hopefully they do come and things will work out."

"I thought they all loved it here, so it kind of surprised me," Adams said. "I wish those guys could be a part of what we're building because I truly believe it's something special, but those are all my brothers. We connected over the past year, with Steve the past two years, so I just wish the best for those guys wherever they feel they need to be I support them 100 percent."

"I was kind of disappointed," Christian Vital said. "Steve is one of my best friends, one of the reasons I came here, Vance and Juwan, we kind of had a group going and we were looking toward the future. But those guys made decisions they felt was best for them and you have to respect that.

"We have a good core group, the five of us, and we have some good talent coming in. The coaches are trying to bring in guys that are going to help around the core that we have."

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Apologies if this was posted. I didn't see it but my posts are moderated so there's a delay.

"I don't think we're rebuilding," Ollie said. "I don't think that's the word. We're trying to find pieces around a very strong core that we have. Jalen is one of the best guards in the AAC and in America. Terry and Al and Mamadou are coming back with a chip on their shoulder. CV was one of our toughest players at the end of the season. … Now we're finding the right pieces that fit our culture and at the end of the day, I've got to do that better. I've got to put an onus on myself to find those right people that value our culture."

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
So we aren't rebuilding Kevin? Oh boy, smells like grade A damage control.

Reaction Score
Of course it is damage control but what do you expect him to say? He has to try and put lipstick on the pig when talking to the media. There has been enough negative stuff said. We do not need any more from the head coach. He's not going to say Rome is burning and that he is having trouble selling people on Uconn. Acknowledging a rebuild isn't going to make kids want to come here so of course he is going to put a positive spin on it. If you want honesty you are not going to find it most of the time from college basketball coaches, especially during turmoil.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
You would be happier if he said rebuilding? You would be happier if he said nothing?

People have been begging for Kevin to say something and now we got it and you criticize. FUBU.
I know this may be shocking to you but its almost as if this board is made up of hundreds of individuals with their own ideas and opinions. The collective voice of the "boneyard" does not speak for me.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Yeah, you apparently speak out of your a. s. s.
Lmao, this board really is something else. You will get the wake up call you are asking for this coming season.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
What happens if Jalen, AG, & TL all have strong years. Vital is great in a utility role & Mama/Cobb both prove to be above average rebounders? Can we dream. I believe Kill is a good judge of talent after seeing his Temple teams that gave us hell. I believe Polley/Carlton if they stay (hate to say that, but it's common everywhere) could surprise folks. Challenge, I want to see the last 3/4 spots used wisely. We need a spark!

Reaction Score
What happens if Jalen, AG, & TL all have strong years.

If they all have strong years, we are a very nice seed in the tournament and everyone is happy.

pj

Reaction Score
Although we only have 5 returning players and 4 incoming guys, they are quality players. The immediate task is not rebuilding the building, but adding to the core for 2017. The rebuilding comes in 2018 and 2019, when Jalen and Larrier are gone.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I see both sides of the point, but I guess I'm an "apologist" because if I'm the coach or any player, that's how I truly feel.

They have one stud and 2-3 other guys with some stud-sidekick potential. The sheer amount of players we've lost is bad, no sugarcoating it, but in the right scenario the core we have is enough to make noise.

The other stuff, the specific role/leader guys, etc, is vital (pun intended) but not impossible to piece together or come from unexpected sources.

I'd rather have a strong core of returners than good 13 man depth but lack of roster balance or any one guy that can take over.

Have we not learned that stuff in our program's history?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If they all have strong years, we are a very nice seed in the tournament and everyone is happy.
Two of the 3 will. Keep the third healthy & improving, We got a shot. Need to add some quality.

Reaction Score
I see both sides of the point, but I guess I'm an "apologist" because if I'm the coach or any player, that's how I truly feel.

They have one stud and 2-3 other guys with some stud-sidekick potential. The sheer amount of players we've lost is bad, no sugarcoating it, but in the right scenario the core we have is enough to make noise.

The other stuff, the specific role/leader guys, etc, is vital (pun intended) but not impossible to piece together or come from unexpected sources.

I'd rather have a strong core of returners than good 13 man depth but lack of roster balance or any one guy that can take over.

Have we not learned that stuff in our program's history?

Larrier was the best player on this team before he went down. He was getting first round whispers before last season from legit scouts. He very well could be a star if he has put in the work in his rehab. Two years with no d1 ball games is tough, but he COULD be great.

I think we know what we're getting with Jalen at a minimum: 14/5/5 with a few too many turnovers, and a few wow me plays. Will he take the steps to get his shot better and cut down on TO? If so, he could be our next all American.

Alterique is tough. We never saw enough. But he will easily be a solid ball handler and pesky defender.

Vital is a purvis replacement in my eyes. Threes and heady defense. As far as points, rebounds, etc. can't say.

Everyone else is a crap shoot. We need 2 to step up in a big way or we're going to have a decent season.

Reaction Score
As @pj said, we are in a rebuild, but may be quite good next year. I see a parallel with the football team, even though "good" means different things to each program.

Reaction Score
We need to catch lightning in a bottle with one of the bigs. Whether that's Carlton, Cobb or Diarra, one of them is going to need to cement themselves as a viable option at the 4 or 5 spot. If we can do that and then rotate from the other position, we should be ok.

Reaction Score
So we aren't rebuilding Kevin? Oh boy, smells like grade A damage control.

Right. And if he said "we are rebuilding," you and others wouldn't be saying that he's already building his excuses for next year.

If we suck next year, feel free to let us know it. Until the opening tip, however, could we stop pretending that folks really care what KO says, and aren't just looking for reasons to rip him?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Right. And if he said "we are rebuilding," you and others wouldn't be saying that he's already building his excuses for next year.

If we suck next year, feel free to let us know it. Until the opening tip, however, could we stop pretending that folks really care what KO says, and aren't just looking for reasons to rip him?
Really? Is that what I would have said in this alternate reality you are describing?

Talk about "looking for reasons to rip", literally drawing up scenarios of what I would have said if event B had occurred. How about dont worry so much about what I "would" have said.

You guys can do your little tail chase routine over what I said if it makes you that upset. The reality is trying to label our current situation as anything other than a rebuild is to me a bold face lie. "Not a rebuild" implies this is close to the final product, implies this was in the plans long term, implies we are only one or two small steps away from being where we need to be. But you guys are right, its nice to just get some reassurance from the commander in chief, even if he's just blowing smoke up our A.

Reaction Score

If they are rebuilding so what, did any one think in September 2013 we would win the championship as a seven seed. That year the Red Sox
traded Becket, Crawford, Gonzalez for guys I can't remember, yeah that off season they were rebuilding what happened after that.
Sometimes you have to free up spaces so you can get the right fit. They are all on it, as for us we are just anxious jack asses, since we don't
know what they are doing we are ASSuming they are doing nothing. They will be back and they will be better than ever.

Reaction Score
We have two healthy players returning next season. I would say to keep the expectations reasonable, otherwise you are likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

There are definitely reasons for optimism next season. On paper, we have an excellent trio who would be the envy of many programs. You are right in tempering expectations because of the injury concerns and the lack of any proven 5 but I am very excited for the season. I am also very terrified of the '18 season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom