I've got 4 champs, how many you got? | The Boneyard

I've got 4 champs, how many you got?

Reaction Score
My freshman year was 98/99. I was one of the few who knew we had it all year long. I believe my first big year of fandom was 90 at the tender age of 10 with Tate. I remember how big that was.

I've lived a full life of college basketball. I'v been very lucky. The youngsters these days may not have 4 under their belt. But man, the grown men on here that do, whimper like little babies. Do you really need it that bad?

What brings me joy is seeing a blue bleeding MA 21 year old kid get pumped before the half after a sweet assist for a three. Under a tumultuous year, with needy fans.

I suppose I've been too lucky. But I don't bleed orange.

Reaction Score
My freshman year was 98/99. I was one of the few who knew we had it all year long. I believe my first big year of fandom was 90 at the tender age of 10 with Tate. I remember how big that was.

I've lived a full life of college basketball. I'v been very lucky. The youngsters these days may not have 4 under their belt. But man, the grown men on here that do, whimper like little babies. Do you really need it that bad?

What brings me joy is seeing a blue bleeding MA 21 year old kid get pumped before the half after a sweet assist for a three. Under a tumultuous year, with needy fans.

The minute you're satisfied is the moment you lose the competitive edge. Building and maintaining anything extraordinary requires extraordinary commitment and unrelenting effort. There are a small handful of programs that have managed to sustain competitive superiority year in year out. UConn spent 25 years building a legacy that only endures if the next 25 are pursued with the same vigor and demand for excellence. I don't see it as being spoiled as much recognizing the significance of what was achieved and the desire to see it honored and maintained.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I prefer that UConn not suck.

Call me crazy, but I like it better when they’re good.

I liked this game better than I liked the Tulsa game.

Four titles or no four titles, I still want to see them win and win big.

This isn’t Providence where we’re just happy if a crumb falls off the table for us.

Reaction Score

This isn’t Providence where we’re just happy if a crumb falls off the table for us.

I've always called you crazy for many years. Haha! I think its because I've got engaged and life changed and adulted. When I was in my 20's I needed to win like it made me a better person. Now I just enjoy the game and get from it what I can. But yes, I want Uconn's stature to be renewed, just don't seem to need it as desperately and as badly as some of you. It's almost embarrassing how bad you need it. It's just a game amongst young kids for entertainment. But, like I've said, I've been very lucky.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve seen 4 titles as well (though not the same 4), but the losses haunt me. They hurt me in my soul. I never understood those that can watch a loss and come out the other side unscathed. Friends and family know not to talk to me about a loss, and coworkers who should know better won’t get anything from me. I’ll grin, remark how sad I was that the game got cancelled due to rain, and move along. It’s a coping mechanism of the worst kind, but it helps me survive. The wins help as well, and beautiful basketball is its own reward. I can appreciate seasons which end in a loss as well, and all the players who made the program what it is, but never the actual losses. That’s a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
The minute you're satisfied is the moment you lose the competitive edge. Building and maintaining anything extraordinary requires extraordinary commitment and unrelenting effort. There are a small handful of programs that have managed to sustain competitive superiority year in year out. UConn spent 25 years building a legacy that only endures if the next 25 are pursued with the same vigor and demand for excellence. I don't see it as being spoiled as much recognizing the significance of what was achieved and the desire to see it honored and maintained.

This is a very fair retort. Kudos, well said.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen 4 titles as well (though not the same 4), but the losses haunt me. They hurt me in my soul. I never understood those that can watch a loss and come out the other side unscathed. Friends and family know not to talk to me about a loss, and coworkers who should know better won’t get anything from me. I’ll grin, remark how sad I was that the game got cancelled due to rain, and move along. It’s a coping mechanism of the worst kind, but it helps me survive. The wins help as well, and beautiful basketball is its own reward. I can appreciate seasons which end in a loss as well, and all the players who move but never the actual losses. That’s a bridge too far.

You my friend see basketball as Van Gogh sees a canvas. I was apparently out of my depth upon my op. Please don't cut your ear off.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Poor @FriarJ

Reaction Score

Poor Fishy. So dramatic as usual.

Reaction Score
You my friend see basketball as Van Gogh sees a canvas. I was apparently out of my depth upon my op. Please don't cut your ear off.
The madness was foisted upon me unwillingly by an uncle who thought it was fine to call me up every time Duke or State beat UNC. I still have a pavlov’s reaction of hyperventilating when the phone rings on game days. It’s my version of the lambs Clarice is trying to silence.

Long story short (too late!), if it doesn’t hurt much, it doesn’t matter much.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
It's 4 Championships/ Titles + the 1 final
Four banner equipped with the Jerome Dyson asterisk. We have to always count that final four. It counts. While we're at it,
that NIT championship was very important and meaningful at that time also.

4 Championship banners
1 Final Four banner
1 NIT banner
And a partridge in a pear tree!!!!!!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The tournament is the most fun sporting event of the year. Not being in the tournament sucks. It leaves an empty spot that should instead be joy and excitement. I want to be in it every year, preferably to the second weekend. Beyond that it's gravy. I never feel truly bad about a loss in the elite 8 or sweet 16.

Reaction Score
The tournament is the most fun sporting event of the year. Not being in the tournament sucks. It leaves an empty spot that should instead be joy and excitement. I want to be in it every year, preferably to the second weekend. Beyond that it's gravy. I never feel truly bad about a loss in the elite 8 or sweet 16.

Agree in most years...but 2006 still stings

Reaction Score
I'm not ready to throw this year away yet. I'm not saying that they're going to make the NCAA tournament-that feels like a stretch at this point. However, this team could catch some mojo and make it interesting. 2011 and 2014 were both like that. I like the moxie of this team. Obviously, they need some serious wins and possible upset of Villanova to get back in the talking game. At this point, every win is closer to post season, even if it means NIT. We NEED to make the post season...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like the moxie of this team. Obviously, they need some serious wins and possible upset of Villanova to get back in the talking game. At this point, every win is closer to post season, even if it means NIT. We NEED to make the post season...

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
We
I'm not ready to throw this year away yet. I'm not saying that they're going to make the NCAA tournament-that feels like a stretch at this point. However, this team could catch some mojo and make it interesting. 2011 and 2014 were both like that. I like the moxie of this team. Obviously, they need some serious wins and possible upset of Villanova to get back in the talking game. At this point, every win is closer to post season, even if it means NIT. We NEED to make the post season...

We aren't getting in unless we win AAC tourney. Reality

Reaction Score
We

We aren't getting in unless we win AAC tourney. Reality

I don't know that I agree with you. Hypothetically, suppose we beat Villanova, Cincy, WSU are we not on the bubble?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

I whimper like a grown man, dammit.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I love ya but this is a ridiculous position.

Because you don’t care about winning in the future anyone who does is a whiner?

It’s a message board - it’s not a window into the soul.

The whole rest of the world gets to have sports. But we should all be glad we had a good run even if we might be alive another 30-40 years.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The whole rest of the world gets to have sports. But we should all be glad we had a good run even if we might be alive another 30-40 years.

Like it or not, that actually might be the most sane position to take if you look at the state of NCAA athletics and conferences through UConn lenses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom