I've got 4 champs, how many you got? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I've got 4 champs, how many you got?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Like it or not, that actually might be the most sane position to take if you look at the state of NCAA athletics and conferences through UConn lenses.

It may end happening that way but why resign oneself to it?

Seriously Cincinnati is consistently good. We can’t even hope for that?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It may end happening that way but why resign oneself to it?

Seriously Cincinnati is consistently good. We can’t even hope for that?

And to expand on that, people look at Cincinnati now and boy because of our position the last 2 years it looks sweet. But you are a smart guy, you now how Northeast sports fans are. All the KO killers here wish we were Cincinnati or Gonzaga right now. But the thing is they really dont. If we were Cincinnati or Gonzaga theyd find something else to bitch about.

If we were Cincinnati and KO had a grand total of 5 NCAA tourney wins in 13 years with the regular season success you just referenced, people here wouldve been calling for KO's firing 8 years ago. You know it true.

Thats why I laugh at those people.

Reaction Score
And to expand on that, people look at Cincinnati now and boy because of our position the last 2 years it looks sweet. But you are a smart guy, you now how Northeast sports fans are. All the KO killers here wish we were Cincinnati or Gonzaga right now. But the thing is they really dont. If we were Cincinnati or Gonzaga theyd find something else to bitch about.

If we were Cincinnati and KO had a grand total of 5 NCAA tourney wins in 13 years with the regular season success you just referenced, people here wouldve been calling for KO's firing 8 years ago. You know it true.

Can’t we be a better version of those two? Having a good to great regular season by always competing for our league’s championship, and then making some noise in the tourney.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Can’t we be a better version of those two? Having a good to great regular season by always competing for our league’s championship, and then making some noise in the tourney.

Hopefully.
I mean that is what everyone on both sides of the Fire Ollie kerfuffle want. We can agree on that. But it wont be good enough. Why doesnt Cincinnati make noise in tourney?

Reaction Score

Adub: "People who want KO fired have unreasonable expectations"

us: "No, we understand the limitations we're facing right now, but we should be better than we are. It's not unreasonable to expect to compete with top G5 programs like Cincinnati."

Adub: "Nah, I'm just going to ignore your actual words. You want more than that, and because wanting more than that is unreasonable, you should just be content with continuing to suck"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

us: "No, we understand the limitations we're facing right now, but we should be better than we are. It's not unreasonable to expect to compete with top G5 programs like Cincinnati."

Adub: "Nah, I'm just going to ignore your actual words. You want more than that, and because wanting more than that is unreasonable, you should just be content with continuing to suck"

Given how Cincinnati et. al stack up on metrics that posters here profess to value, it’s perfectly reasonable for him not to take your word at face value.

All of the people saying they’d be okay with being Cincinnati, Gonzaga, or Wichita would definitely be singing a different tune were that to become reality.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

The missing element in your interpretation is that I believe Kevin Ollie CAN compete with G5 programs like Cincinatti.

I dont think it is unreasonable to want that. I disagree with the best path to get there.

Reaction Score
Given how Cincinnati et. al stack up on metrics that posters here profess to value, it’s perfectly reasonable for him not to take your word at face value.

All of the people saying they’d be okay with being Cincinnati, Gonzaga, or Wichita would definitely be singing a different tune were that to become reality.

You really, really want that to be true, don't you?

Reaction Score
The missing element in your interpretation is that I believe Kevin Ollie CAN compete with G5 programs like Cincinatti.

I dont think it is unreasonable to want that. I disagree with the best path to get there.

Jesus, just say that . . . I disagree, but at least we get to the real argument.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You really, really want that to be true, don't you?

I’m currently looking at those three schools’ tourney records, counts of NBA players/draftees, and recruiting rankings. The longer I do so, the more confident I am that’s true.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Jesus, just say that . . . I disagree, but at least we get to the real argument.

And thats fine. And since I see a crap ton of over the top ridiculousness on the fire KO train, I reserve the right to occasionally go over the top on the alternative viewpoint.

And to be real?

I get what reasonable fans worry about with KO. I dont think they are blind. Im not blind. I worry about the same things. I guess it just comes down to whether you think there is something there to work with or not.

I do. For many reasons. And they are legit.

Many dont. For many reasons. And they are legit too.

Interesting (albeit painful) times.

Reaction Score
Because Kenyon Martin broke his leg?

That's funny, but it's not like they've really underperformed either.

2011 - #6 seed: beat #11 seed, lost to #3 seed UConn who of course won the tourney. (chalk)
2012 - #6 seed: beat #11 seed, beat #3 seed, lost to #2 seed (over performed)
2013 - #10 seed: lost to #7 seed (chalk)
2014 - #5 seed: lost to #12 seed (underperformed)
2015 - #8 seed: beat #9 seed, lost to #1 seed (chalk)
2016 - #9 seed: lost to #8 seed (chalk)
2017 - #6 seed: beat #11 seed, lost to #3 seed (chalk)

It's not like they're Pitt.

Reaction Score
I’m currently looking at those three schools’ tourney records, counts of NBA players/draftees, and recruiting rankings. The longer I do so, the more confident I am that’s true.
But we already achieved those titles and accolades. Going forward, I think 80% of the fire Kevin crowd would be delighted to compete like those schools and we have very little to be upset with if competing with schools like Wichita State, Cincinnati, Gonzaga, being consistently ranked and relevant at a high major level. I think most of us would be delighted to coast even into the next decade without a single elite eight if we could compete like a high-level program. Again the difference is we don’t need to prove our worth with more titles, yes it would be wonderful and will hope for, but we don’t need it at this stage in our program, we already achieved a record among that top 6-7 in the country, we just now want to be somewhat relevant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom