I've decided I like this CFB playoff thing | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I've decided I like this CFB playoff thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Uh they should never have called for a pass when they have two timeouts.
They went for the dagger, which I admire, but it gave Bama more life then they should have had at the end of that game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At 21-6 I figured game was over. Quite a win for Ohio State. They somehow survived a loss to a team that played a scoreless tie with Wake Forest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They went for the dagger, which I admire, but it gave Bama more life then they should have had at the end of that game.

I'm all for daggers - Alabama had a chance because of that decision.

Reaction Score
Alabama abandoned the run way too early further evidence that Lane Kiffin still sucks.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm all for daggers - Alabama had a chance because of that decision.

I suspect that Jones was supposed to read the coverage and then run if his guy was not wide open. He made the wrong decision.

Reaction Score
My goodness, there was a lot of stupid In the last two minutes. OSU getting burned deep, throwing the ball when Bama had two timeouts, starting the drive with three underneath routes inbounds (first two short of the first down marker), not throwing a 10-yard sideline route with 15 and 8 seconds to give you a chance at a non Hail Mary, to the OSU guy running around with the ball for 10 seconds when the game is over as soon as he takes a knee.

Reaction Score
OSU had to make some great plays to win that game. That onside kick recovery may have been the biggest play

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/550888658166116352/photo/1

Reaction Score
At 21-6 I figured game was over. Quite a win for Ohio State. They somehow survived a loss to a team that played a scoreless tie with Wake Forest.
That was the Back up qbs first game no? There are few times when you watch a bama game and team across the field isn't out classed physically. OSU was man for man as good, but defensively I thought they were better. It was what stuck out to me as I watched the first half. They looked faster even if just a bit smaller than bamas defense, but bama was only ahead because of the OSU Turnovers.

Reaction Score
noeynox said:

A simple first down is all you need. Then Bama probably never gets the ball again. A TD gives them the ball down 14 and at least a remote prayer (quick TD, onside kick, Hail Mary). One first down and their only hope is a fumbled snap.

Reaction Score
Throwing on first down after Bama had conceded the game with an onsides kick was one of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen, they took about 7 seconds off the clock on that offensive series. Glad it didn't cost OSU the game because they were clearly the better team, Bama's pubter is the only thing that kept them in the game. Don't like Meyer or Ohio State but he is one hell of a coach and they brought it.

Reaction Score
I want to see 8 teams simply because I want to see a quarterfinal. Anything more than 8 would definitely be too convoluted. Even though this inaugural playoff has been a huge success, having only one round of playoffs then a championship game takes away from the playoff feel a bit. I would definitely like to see an extra round of teams go at it.

That being said, having only four teams turned out better than I expected. This can still thrive with just four teams because I gotta admit, I was far more psyched for this playoff than the NFL playoffs coming up. OSU and Oregon should be one hell of a game in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
All he had to do was say Ohio State was going to win, and he could pile on me all night.

Wow. So sensitive. I will try not to be so harsh next time. Lol. You said the committee made a mistake. I didn't have to say OSU would win to point out how silly your comment was. By your logic FSU didn't belong either since they got thumped by 39.

That's why a playoff is great. Settle it on the field instead of with computers or old biases.

Reaction Score
SEC-YA! Go North Football!

The top five SEC West teams gave up an average of 501 yards and 40 points a game in the bowls.

Of their five losses, four were to lower ranked or unranked teams.

As an ND fan and unrepentant Yankee living in Louisiana, I am ok with all of that......

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wow. So sensitive. I will try not to be so harsh next time. Lol. You said the committee made a mistake. I didn't have to say OSU would win to point out how silly your comment was. By your logic FSU didn't belong either since they got thumped by 39.

That's why a playoff is great. Settle it on the field instead of with computers or old biases.

Good point. TCU really looked awful against Mississippi.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Any review of the resumes shows they got the four teams right. There was a chart floating around that lined up OSU, TCU and Baylor. It wasn't even really close.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The top five SEC West teams gave up an average of 501 yards and 40 points a game in the bowls.

Of their five losses, four were to lower ranked or unranked teams.

As an ND fan and unrepentant Yankee living in Louisiana, I am ok with all of that.

I would love to see a shift from this attitude that southern football trumps northern football. Yesterday (and throughout this bowl season, really) was a good start. With the B1G's very impressive head coach list, I hope that time comes soon.

Reaction Score
Good point. TCU really looked awful against Mississippi.

I wouldn't have shed 1 tear if TCU had been in v. OSU. or Baylor for that matter. 4/5/6 were roughly interchangeable to me. I'm in favor of an 8 team playoff. That's why I think the "such and such belongs or doesn't belong" or "the committee made a bad choice" arguments are just silly. There were 6 teams that were above the rest, and they had to pick 4. There was no real debate on 3 of them. Deciding whether it was a good or bad choice based on the result of the game is silly also.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Any review of the resumes shows they got the four teams right. There was a chart floating around that lined up OSU, TCU and Baylor. It wasn't even really close.

It wasn't close? Really? Ohio State has a loss to VTech and is on their 3rd QB this year. Unless Baylor and TCU each had 4 losses, I don't know how you can say it wasn't even close between them. One nice win does not eliminate everything that happened before.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I keep seeing this ad in my mind...

B1GadUConn_zps1e3e6cef.jpg

Yes, that's a white clam pizza.

Nice, but way too far from NYC. If you are going to put this out there, be more accurate and show us closer than Lake Erie, PSU and Maryland. Should be right above the pizza.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
It wasn't close? Really? Ohio State has a loss to VTech and is on their 3rd QB this year. Unless Baylor and TCU each had 4 losses, I don't know how you can say it wasn't even close between them. One nice win does not eliminate everything that happened before.

You can skew statistics any way you want but in my eyes it was a toss up between the 3.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, the committee appears to have booted the Ohio State selection. Picking a playoff team with a 3rd string quarterback based on one win over a team whose coach had one foot out the door doesn't seem like such a good idea. And TCU looked pretty good.
:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01