IUP Game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

IUP Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one over 6-0. They have three players listed at 6-0. The starters are listed at 5-5, 5-7, 5-9, 5-11, and 6-0

From what I could see IUP wasn't much better then a good NJ Shore Conference high school team........glad to see that UConn did well but I'm not judging the season on that one.........waiting for Florida State on the 14th which should be a very legitimate contest.............

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
From what I could see IUP wasn't much better then a good NJ Shore Conference high school team...glad to see that UConn did well but I'm not judging the season on that one....waiting for Florida State on the 14th which should be a very legitimate contest...

ND plays Roberts Wesleyan tomorrow. Their tallest player is a freshman who is 6-0 and she is the only six-footer. I predict Brianna Turner might have a good game, lol.

I do kind of like these exhibitions, though. Give everyone some good vibes before the real games. Let the freshman get their butterflies at suiting up for the first time out of the way.

But you are right that IUP is not going to be the measuring stick...unless you are trying to win the PSAC.

Reaction Score
ND plays Roberts Wesleyan tomorrow. Their tallest player is a freshman who is 6-0 and she is the only six-footer. I predict Brianna Turner might have a good game, lol.

I do kind of like these exhibitions, though. Give everyone some good vibes before the real games. Let the freshman get their butterflies at suiting up for the first time out of the way.

But you are right that IUP is not going to be the measuring stick...unless you are trying to win the PSAC.

I think it's great for the kids on the other team to one day be able to say that they played against UConn or ND.............

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think at this point it is also a great story for them to say they played against Geno. And I think for most programs a once every few years complete drubbing against a really good team can be a productive teaching tool for the coaching staff - there will be moments when they did good things on both ends of the floor 'by design' and there will be things on the film of the good team doing things that they can emulate. So it is not just the excitement of playing 'Uconn' or 'Geno' or in front of a huge crowd.
I really think Lubbock Christian took that attitude, they had a party with their traveling fans and then studied the film and used it for a very successful campaign.

Reaction Score
No one over 6-0. They have three players listed at 6-0. The starters are listed at 5-5, 5-7, 5-9, 5-11, and 6-0

When I saw the rate at which Gabby was scoring--I assumed they had no one over 6'2 (Gabby may have issues with over that)--
But regardless of the size --for Gabby this was an excellent outing--and a harbinger of her great future. It does not,however, explain why Butler was less effective?? 8 or 9 point isn't usually considered bad--but when you are 10 inch or 5 inches over the other team--I'd expect every pass into the post (Butler)--were they just working with Gabby???

Reaction Score
I think at this point it is also a great story for them to say they played against Geno. And I think for most programs a once every few years complete drubbing against a really good team can be a productive teaching tool for the coaching staff - there will be moments when they did good things on both ends of the floor 'by design' and there will be things on the film of the good team doing things that they can emulate. So it is not just the excitement of playing 'Uconn' or 'Geno' or in front of a huge crowd.
I really think Lubbock Christian took that attitude, they had a party with their traveling fans and then studied the film and used it for a very successful campaign.

Absolutely!! Coaches should know their teams (some don't) or ask them if they want to play UConn the number one everything in WBB.
I'm sure most kids that love BB would jump at the change--knowing full well--they will be BEATEN.
As you say UMiami---it gives them some bragging rights--WE PLAYED against (fill in the blank with any AA from Uconn). It's tough to lose--but when you play the best--it cannot be much of a downer..
And the school get paid . Win Win.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That would be a perilous move. IUP started the second half in a zone and UConn carved it apart like a tender chicken. Every time down, a different player would flash to the key, which totally confused the defense and opened up a lane for an easy pass to the weak side under the basket. It was like a video from a clinic on how to attack a 2-3 zone. UConn is so incredibly quick at every position and everyone can also score from multiple angles. A Zone just can't work against a team with that type of skill set. After three trips down the floor, the IUP coach went back to man for the rest of the game!
That's good to hear.

Reaction Score
That would be a perilous move. IUP started the second half in a zone and UConn carved it apart like a tender chicken. Every time down, a different player would flash to the key, which totally confused the defense and opened up a lane for an easy pass to the weak side under the basket. It was like a video from a clinic on how to attack a 2-3 zone. UConn is so incredibly quick at every position and everyone can also score from multiple angles. A Zone just can't work against a team with that type of skill set. After three trips down the floor, the IUP coach went back to man for the rest of the game!

That kind of indicates that this Uconn WBB team is being coached pretty well?? Huh?
Thanks for your posting. Bet you a dollar fifty---IUP--learned loads about their weakness and what they can fix. Not a bad days work for them --was it??

Reaction Score
From what I could see IUP wasn't much better then a good NJ Shore Conference high school team...glad to see that UConn did well but I'm not judging the season on that one....waiting for Florida State on the 14th which should be a very legitimate contest...

Waiting for Florida state is what I said a week ago--knowing these were "warm up" games--to fix obvious weaknesses and to give the kids some confidence. But isn't it a bit harsh---IUP wasn't much better than a GOOD NJ Shore Conf HS Team?? If this was an Indiana team from Indiana--you wouldn't say that. Geno had the 3 Fresh, Lawlor and Butler---how did they do against--comparable HS team IUP??

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Anyone know if the attendance was taken & reported for this game?

Reaction Score
Waiting for Florida state is what I said a week ago--knowing these were "warm up" games--to fix obvious weaknesses and to give the kids some confidence. But isn't it a bit harsh---IUP wasn't much better than a GOOD NJ Shore Conf HS Team?? If this was an Indiana team from Indiana--you wouldn't say that. Geno had the 3 Fresh, Lawlor and Butler---how did they do against--comparable HS team IUP??

Your better NJ Shore Conference teams these days consist of 3-4 D1 players and perhaps one or two DII players so it is really no insult..........if you check my Jersey girls post for example you'll see guard Kelly Campbell one of last year's grads score 16 point with 9 rebounds for Depaul..........South Jersey is producing the best players in the Northeast US right now

Reaction Score
Your better NJ Shore Conference teams these days consist of 3-4 D1 players and perhaps one or two DII players so it is really no insult.....if you check my Jersey girls post for example you'll see guard Kelly Campbell one of last year's grads score 16 point with 9 rebounds for Depaul.....South Jersey is producing the best players in the Northeast US right now
I was tweeking you a little bit---I'm only aware of Jersey girls (as opposed to jersey boys) through your posting. I didn't say insulting --the word was harsh--no insult to you or the uC team intended.

Reaction Score
I was tweeking you a little bit---I'm only aware of Jersey girls (as opposed to jersey boys) through your posting. I didn't say insulting --the word was harsh--no insult to you or the uC team intended.

No insult taken....................it's just that I watch a bunch of DII players a couple of times a week and the comparison between them and the UConn girls is..........................well you saw it last night........................................

Reaction Score
It was pretty empty. Do season ticket holders get tickets to the exhibition games? If so, a lot of them didn't come. (Okay by me, I moved from bleachers to seatbacks!) I wish they would do more resales of unused tickets. Maybe have an easy way for those not using their ticket to notify the ticket office so they can resell. Perhaps they could offer some perk in return. They managed to do it for the SC game a couple of years ago. Didn't matter last night, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade (for a small fee?) and fill the good seats for the regular season games.

Reaction Score
It was pretty empty. Do season ticket holders get tickets to the exhibition games? If so, a lot of them didn't come. (Okay by me, I moved from bleachers to seatbacks!) I wish they would do more resales of unused tickets. Maybe have an easy way for those not using their ticket to notify the ticket office so they can resell. Perhaps they could offer some perk in return. They managed to do it for the SC game a couple of years ago. Didn't matter last night, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade (for a small fee?) and fill the good seats for the regular season games.

I made the exact same suggestion a few years ago and modified it a bit to sell unused seat 15 minutes into the game to any one. I sent this to the ticket office, the President of UC, Geno, AD---no one even gave a reply. DEAD EARS. It wouldn't hurt to try again--what once was bad is now great--the world changes-....Start your Social Media attack, and go from there. Someone will get the messages---empty seats stink and is an insult to the Women playing the game and Geno...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom