Reaction Score
Overall: KLS, Gabby should be all Americans
Kia, Naphezz and Chong are good as expected
Butler needs more inside
3 freshes are good, special Kyla is fearless

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe teams will play zone against them with that kind of 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
Kyla is something a lot of us thought might show well early on. Very aggressive and yet very much within herself.

Bags---I followed the game on Gametracker---got the essence of the game--what was missing is:
How well did IPU measure up to Uconn in SIZE~~?? With Gabby putting HURT on them in the first half--I assumed they had no one over 6-2.
Sorry to see Crystal not getting in earlier--must have peeved Geno a bit in practice. Bent got early and a lot of PT--seems like she is a Geno Fav.
Kyla was a breath of fresh air.
Butler--wasn't very assertive--from the stat I was seeing.

However --it got the butterflys to fly away for a day or two--and they did well for the first outing.
Let us be pleased for what we got from them--they looked good for DAY ONE..

Reaction Score
How well did IPU measure up to Uconn in SIZE~~?? .
They didn't measure up in size. they had one tall player who had limited playing time (I think they said for medical reasons they were limiting her to ~10 minutes), but, really, this was no match for UConn. As you say, it gets the butterflies out. And the freshmen looked exceptionally poised--they all acted like they belonged out there: no deer in the headlights thing. But Geno will have plenty of "coaching material" tomorrow.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The only reason there would be cause for concern is if they had not played as well as they did and struggled with IUP. They did not.

Reaction Score
The more gifted you are, the harder Geno is on you - not surprised that Danger checked in last

Agreed. Also think Geno knows that need in her March, so I expect he will all over her for the next 4 months.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Halftime
Baylor - 43
Emporia State - 35

Lauren Cox - 10pts
Was just about to head over to the Baylor board. Seems as though they aren't really chatting much though. Emporia with a 10-0 run though before the half. I assume they are missing Niya real bad... even though she wasn't much of scorer her floor vision & distribution accounted for 20+ point a game for them and they weren't much of a scoring team as I recall last year. I think they averaged somewhere in the low 70s as far as PPG.

The funny thing is the media stated that behind UConn Baylor was the second best passing TEAM. That was false. Outside of Niya they were actually quite poor. She was responsible for half of their assists. So they ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM combined for the other 10/11 assists. I'm sure Mulkey is ripping something off in the locker room to get their attention.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wonder if this will end up on UConn Husky games. Hope so. I think last year's exxies were on there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wonder when this was?? Bench is pumped including Batouly!!!
I think it was on a feed from Natalie to Irwin for a lay-up, A really pretty play.

My thoughts - Butler is going to struggle a bit against undersized teams with speed and IUP is that, but I thought she did OK. Liked all the freshman - bent had a Sue like pull-up from the edge of the free throw line for her lone basket. Dangerfield can pass and can squeeze them into tight spaces - had a couple of beauties. Irwin was what I expected which was a very serviceable player.

Thought Chong did well - she and Kia traded off PG duties and both were less than aggressive looking for their shots (not a bad thing.) Kia did not look like a bull in the china shop like the start of last year, and she looked a little less intense, which I think is good - last year she was too tightly wound from time to time.

Gabby was spectacular but would like to see her take a few jump shots even though she could drive at will. Lou was a little off from three but finished 10-19 from the floor for 24 points. Collier was sound all around.

This starting lineup is going to be seriously fast and will get lots of steals, but they will be challenged in the low post - Lou, Collier and Williams are NOT as capable as either Morgan and Stewart defending post players - Baylor and SC will be tough in that regard and defending Turner will be no picnic.

Reaction Score
I think Chong, Kia, Bent and Crystal will have a very good PG rotation this year.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It'll get better.

We'll all have fun on the 17th though ...right? ;)

I hope they play defense vs UConn the same way they played vs Emporia St. If they can hang maybe we can too. Make those big gals run a bit.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Welllllll.... Emporia IS a traditional DII powerhouse :)
I watched the entire 4th quarter of Baylor playing Emporia State, who did make the Div II Sweet Sixteen last year. Nothing I saw dissuaded me of my belief that Cox will start this year over Mompremier who is offensively and defensively challenged. Nothing dissuaded me of the belief that Davis is a fine player. This is a good, solid team. Nothing however dissuaded me of my belief that this team is slow, slow, slow. Emporia ran the high post screen to death until the 4th quarter where they stopped running it. Just as Oregon State did to beat them last year. Up until then the dribble penetration off the screen or the kick out to the arc was always there. On defense Emporia packed the lane and dared Baylor to shoot. Just like Oregon State did last year. The Baylor bigs were huffing and puffing so much I could barely hear Mulkey working the refs. She hardly let up. During an exhib. Against Emporia. I heard her cry out to the refs after one foul call with The Bears up by about ten. Geno would have been screaming at the team. Baylor's bench depth broke open the game at the end when the short Emporia bench ran out of gas. Baylor is slow and predictably one note, actually two noted on offense: Feed the low post or hope Davis, Jones, Wallace or Chou can create. Their ball movement is only fair, Brown has nothing beyond 5', rarely moves from the lane, and Mompremier can't score unless it's down low or in transition. Cox air balled her only shot from 10'. She did have a nice end to end layup. This is a future AA folks. She'd have made a nice Husky. But Baylor's players barely look in game shape, and the season is not the time when players get into game shape. Yeah, it's just one exib, but I think Aston has a good shot this year.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Baylor is playing tonight also. Hope to get a report from a Bears fan as to how they did, and how they look.
I wasn't really impressed. The final score was Baylor 89 Emporia State 60. The leading scorer for Baylor was Lauren Cox with 17. At halftime, Emporia State was down by single digits.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched the entire 4th quarter of Baylor playing Emporia State, who did make the Div II Sweet Sixteen last year. Nothing I saw dissuaded me of my belief that Cox will start this year over Mompremier who is offensively and defensively challenged. Nothing dissuaded me of the belief that Davis is a fine player. This is a good, solid team. Nothing however dissuaded me of my belief that this team is slow, slow, slow. Emporia ran the high post screen to death until the 4th quarter where they stopped running it. Just as Oregon State did to beat them last year. Up until then the dribble penetration off the screen or the kick out to the arc was always there. On defense Emporia packed the lane and dared Baylor to shoot. Just like Oregon State did last year. The Baylor bigs were huffing and puffing so much I could barely hear Mulkey working the refs. She hardly let up. During an exhib. Against Emporia. I heard her cry out to the refs after one foul call with The Bears up by about ten. Geno would have been screaming at the team. Baylor's bench depth broke open the game at the end when the short Emporia bench ran out of gas. Baylor is slow and predictably one note, actually two noted on offense: Feed the low post or hope Davis, Jones, Wallace or Chou can create. Their ball movement is only fair, Brown has nothing beyond 5', rarely moves from the lane, and Mompremier can't score unless it's down low or in transition. Cox air balled her only shot from 10'. She did have a nice end to end layup. This is a future AA folks. She'd have made a nice Husky. But Baylor's players barely look in game shape, and the season is not the time when players get into game shape. Yeah, it's just one exib, but I think Aston has a good shot this year.

Thanks JordyG for this excellent report.

Reaction Score
Maybe teams will play zone against them with that kind of 3 point shooting.

That would be a perilous move. IUP started the second half in a zone and UConn carved it apart like a tender chicken. Every time down, a different player would flash to the key, which totally confused the defense and opened up a lane for an easy pass to the weak side under the basket. It was like a video from a clinic on how to attack a 2-3 zone. UConn is so incredibly quick at every position and everyone can also score from multiple angles. A Zone just can't work against a team with that type of skill set. After three trips down the floor, the IUP coach went back to man for the rest of the game!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Bags---I followed the game on Gametracker---got the essence of the game--what was missing is:
How well did IPU measure up to Uconn in SIZE~~?? With Gabby putting HURT on them in the first half--I assumed they had no one over 6-2.

No one over 6-0. They have three players listed at 6-0. The starters are listed at 5-5, 5-7, 5-9, 5-11, and 6-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom