It's time again - let's see who you think will start! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's time again - let's see who you think will start!

Who will start this season?

• Aubrey Griffin

• Dorka Juhasz

• Aaliyah Edwards

• Nika Muhl

• Lou Lopez-Senechal

• Amari DeBerry

• Azzi Fudd

• Caroline Ducharme

• Ice Brady

• Ayanna Patterson

• Ines Bettencourt

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I must say:
That between the injuries, illnesses, transfers and severely “undermanned” team of last year—and to perform as well as they did-and THEN to field such an ultra talented team (MINUS BEST PLAYER IN THE NCAA) without missing a beat is an incredible accomplishment for Coach, all of his assistants, all of UCONN’s scouts, it’s network and the culture that has been created over Coach’s tenure.
No break in greatness.
No off years to “retool”.
No desperate “reach” for a player that may or may not fit in.
I realize no games have been played yet, but damn what a roster.
I

Reaction Score
No faith in Amari?? I think he may just try her to get a sense of where she is at ( hopefully she is in a good place)!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I went with the popular 5:

Nika, Azzi, Dorka, Liya, and Caroline.

But I think Aubrey and Lou will get major minutes. Who else? Maybe Amari. We don’t have much info on her progress. I think Ice will be in the lineup regularly. She can rebound and hit shots.

Reaction Score
I think we are going to work Azzi, Caroline and Lou pretty hard so I’m subbing Lou in first for Caroline or Azzi. I’m also subbing Dorka and AE with Ice and Ayanna for probably 14 minutes a game on average. I think this is a deep team. Nika might be the last one subbed at the beginning of the game but I see her as a 24 minute a game player so as the game goes on she gets less PT. I don’t see Inez topping 5 minutes usually. If Ice and Ayanna are top 5 prospects they probably get significant PT even their Freshman year.

Reaction Score
HELLO! = Nika gets two or three! fouls = so Azzi switches to PG. and Lou Lopez come
in as the shooting guard. Second choice is Patterson, if they need rebounding and
help under the basket. Alternate Choice is Aubrey, because she knows the system, etc. ,etc.
Exactly. The options are many. I think there will be a lot of substitution early in the season as various combinations of players are used. There are so many options that the coaches can design any defensive scheme they want to use, from fast to big and in between.

The players have to produce too. Talent without execution is worthless. I look and read the stories knowing that a lot of it is PR and that Geno uses the press a lot to send messages so both his praise and his critiques should be looked at with a grain of salt. He was very high on Brady back in March/April. She may not be "better than he thought" but he has to be salivating over what Brady and Patterson can bring and is just trying to minimize expectations. He may be thinking that he knows how Michelangelo may have felt when he saw a block of marble and imagined what it could become, David.

sun

Reaction Score
They'll be playing Kutztown and will have 2 games before playing Texas to get the starting & back up PG's some experience with the new players.
And they may need to iron out some PG bugs from the get go.
That's why I think that Lou will start because she has 4 years of experience, which will provide Azzi with her initial try out at PG.
If Nika starts at PG then that's okay too, because there will be a lot of subbing going on for the 1st 2 games, especially against Kutztown.
The best way to learn how to play PG is to get baptized by fire, and let Azzi show off her positional skills to the fans.
Then Geno won't waste any time to start coaching the necessary corrections.
Maybe Lou or Carol will surprise us as a PG candidate too, perhaps in tandem with either Nika or Azzi when one or the other are out.
Someone who will help beat attempts to traps and press.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oh.. I am the only one think Aubrey will start LOL .. (I assume she is 110% recovered)
On September 12, yes. It appears you're part of a small minority. Aubrey is one of the unknowns at this time, at least to us the fans. Now, when one of the coaches tell us she is 100% recovered and killing it it practice and running around "unchecked, and dominating everyone. Then I'll reassess my outlook. Until then, Aubrey comes off the bench for me. Someone else may see it differently.

Aubrey brings certain things to the table others don't. Geno may not need what she brings to begin the game. She's going to get plenty of playing time. She (and Ayanna) may be more valuable to Geno being a spark plug off the bench. As you know, some players are more valuable and effective coming off the bench. Last year, Evina Westbook had one of her best games at UConn coming off the bench. We'll see.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If I recall, we are the same bunch who said Paige would not start. A good few said she would, but other than the obvious we aren't too good at this.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think we are going to work Azzi, Caroline and Lou pretty hard so I’m subbing Lou in first for Caroline or Azzi. I’m also subbing Dorka and AE with Ice and Ayanna for probably 14 minutes a game on average. I think this is a deep team. Nika might be the last one subbed at the beginning of the game but I see her as a 24 minute a game player so as the game goes on she gets less PT. I don’t see Inez topping 5 minutes usually. If Ice and Ayanna are top 5 prospects they probably get significant PT even their Freshman year.
Remember.....Geno has to find the five players that work best together as a group to start. That means they MUST know the plays, they MUST know exactly what they are doing and where they are suppose to be on BOTH ends of the court. The newbies probably won't know that early in the season. Remember...Geno sez........"it takes the average freshman a year to completely learn the system." Before you get started, Paige is NOT average. :cool:

sun

Reaction Score
Remember.....Geno has to find the five players that work best together as a group to start. That means they MUST know the plays, they MUST know exactly what they are doing and where they are suppose to be on BOTH ends of the court. The newbies probably won't know that early in the season. Remember...Geno sez........"it takes the average freshman a year to completely learn the system." Before you get started, Paige is NOT average. :cool:
I'm not sure who will be the replacement for Williams, but if no one cuts as fast as she did then depending on the strengths of different players, then there may be some new plays.
I think that Lou may be the player that can come closest to replacing Williams at this early stage.
Since Lou will only be with UConn for one year I doubt that her talent will go to waste on the bench.
She came to answer Geno's call and with Paige out, developing her skills & chemistry are critical to the team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
No faith in Amari?? I think he may just try her to get a sense of where she is at ( hopefully she is in a good place)!!
Before I chime in……. I’m on record as being a huge Amari fan an booster. That said, why should Geno or anyone else have “faith” in Amari when she has not (to this point) given us any reason to? I personally have lots of hope that she will enter this season with a different perspective than last year, and be one of the many reasons UConn has a successful year.

I’ll be on the front row of her cheering section all season. I want to see her in the running for some of the conference and Division 1 awards for the top post players in the country. Faith like trust (to me) is earned.

I have faith in my dog that she won’t bite me when I reach out to feed or pet her. I don’t have that same faith in my neighbor’s dog across the street that barks at me (and everyone else) daily from behind a fence. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
If I recall, we are the same bunch who said Paige would not start. A good few said she would, but other than the obvious we aren't too good at this.
Right! If we knew anything, we’d all be rich. ;) I sure had to take a bite out of my turban on several occasions last year. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm not sure who will be the replacement for Williams, but if no one cuts as fast as she did then depending on the strengths of different players, then there may be some new plays.
I think that Lou may be the player that can come closest to replacing Williams at this early stage.
Since Lou will only be with UConn for one year I doubt that her talent will go to waste on the bench.
She came to answer Geno's call and with Paige out, developing her skills & chemistry are critical to the team.
Agreed. She has 4 years of D-1 experience. If not now, when? :eek:

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure if Geno starts Nika Azzi Caroline, you'll see Azzi doing all the things Christyn did, the quick cuts, the awesome ball-handling, the strong moves to the hoop, the endless resourcefulness at finishing layups, intuitive passing, and much more consistent outside shooting. Yes, Lou and Caroline can do most of that stuff too, but I'll be surprised if Lou makes us forget about Azzi.

"Gee, coach, put Azzi on the bench so Lou can get more minutes," said no one ever.

I can imagine people saying "Gee, coach, move Azzi to point so Lou can get more minutes next to Caroline.

Picture how many games this year will begin like this: Azzi and Caroline sink a few 3s in a row, and the lane opens up for Aaliyah and Dorka. Once that happens, it's game on for 4 quarters.

The person I think we'll miss more is Evina. She wasn't the most consistent shooter. But she was the very definition of clutch. She hit the most important 3 pt shots in the biggest games. She made the steal and led the breaks when her team needed a lift. Plus, she was the heart and soul of a young team. Paige called Evina "her MVP."

And here's my pitch for Olivia. Her game had some holes in it on offense. But she gave her all for the team, and you knew what you could expect from her every night. Blocks, steals, rebounds, passing from the top of the key. She was a rock you could build a team on, and Geno did just that.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think if Amari is not the first big off the bench then we're in trouble. Despite her lack of playing time last year, she's still the most experienced sub we have available in the front court. I have high hopes for Yanna and Ice, but the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.
Agreed. We cannot afford to have her languishing at the end of the bench cheerleading for another year. I believe her time has come. Elvis said it, now I'm saying it..................It's NOW or never. Tomorrow will be too late. There will be numerous opportunities for her to show up and show out over this 31 game season. The only person that can stop or hold back Amari is Amari. Geno will give her all the time she deserves if she shows/proves she's worthy. He wants her to be great. ;)

sun

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure if Geno starts Nika Azzi Caroline, you'll see Azzi doing all the things Christyn did, the quick cuts, the awesome ball-handling, the strong moves to the hoop, the endless resourcefulness at finishing layups, intuitive passing, and much more consistent outside shooting. Yes, Lou and Caroline can do most of that stuff too, but I'll be surprised if Lou makes us forget about Azzi.

"Gee, coach, put Azzi on the bench so Lou can get more minutes," said no one ever.

I can imagine people saying "Gee, coach, move Azzi to point so Lou can get more minutes next to Caroline.

Picture how many games this year will begin like this: Azzi and Caroline sink a few 3s in a row, and the lane opens up for Aaliyah and Dorka. Once that happens, it's game on for 4 quarters.

The person I think we'll miss more is Evina. She wasn't the most consistent shooter. But she was the very definition of clutch. She hit the most important 3 pt shots in the biggest games. She made the steal and led the breaks when her team needed a lift. Plus, she was the heart and soul of a young team. Paige called Evina "her MVP."

And here's my pitch for Olivia. Her game had some holes in it on offense. But she gave her all for the team, and you knew what you could expect from her every night. Blocks, steals, rebounds, passing from the top of the key. She was a rock you could build a team on, and Geno did just that.
Why can't Azzi shoots 3's while playing the PG position?
Some of the best PG's do shoot a lot of 3's.
You're scenario describes an artificial built-in limitation by having Nika play PG, but not from Azzi playing PG.
Azzi will also need to come out at times, they will all get their chance to shine.
If Nika starts then the chances are that Lou won't and vice versa.
Lou is a 5th year offensive minded player while Nika primarily isn't.
The main questions are who will be the PG's and which will start as the PG.
Also how will that impact Lou's PT or chances to start.
I doubt that anyone's PT is going to rest on their laurels, they all need to prove themselves every game to maintain their position & PT.
I'm convinced that Geno expects players to push each other to make the team the best that it can be,
If a freshman pushes harder than the vet then the freshman gets the nod.
If Lou pushes harder then Lou gets the nod.
It's plain & simple, and PT will always average out over time until the big games & tourneys.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom