It's the shooting! 1-9 from the arc. | The Boneyard

It's the shooting! 1-9 from the arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yep, we have been awful from the charity stripe especially with the game on the line. But that is also shooting. They are foul shoots.

Today our 1-9 from three is consistent with our shooting this year.

For a minute I had thought that the Ferrari had found his shot. Not quite yet. Until this team learns to hit open jumpers the loses will pile up.

It's not the ball handling. It's not the rebounding. It's not the defense. It is simply the inability to hit open jumpers. That is why we lose.

Reaction Score
It's the shooting, alright. The free throw shooting.

Edit: Yeah you mentioned free throws in your post (which I'll admit I originally didn't read). It's true that we've had problems with shooting overall, but if we make a few more free throws in the Yale, Texas, and Temple games, we only have 2 losses (each to ranked teams) so far this year. It's our major issue.

Reaction Score
Well we threw a few lazy passes among other unforced turnovers. Then the lost balls getting stripped driving in the lane (too many to count) didn't help. We limit turnovers and we win, overcoming poor shooting. So frustrating to see that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's the shooting, alright. The free throw shooting.

Edit: Yeah you mentioned free throws in your post (which I'll admit I originally didn't read). It's true that we've had problems with shooting overall, but if we make a few more free throws in the Yale, Texas, and Temple games, we only have 2 losses (each to ranked teams) so far this year. It's our major issue.

Temple actually shot much worse for the game

Reaction Score
My point is that given the game the way it played out, we win if we make a few more free throws.

Congrats on the win. It's important to the conference that Temple continues to play well.

Reaction Score
Same total number of field goals taken, 6 more 3 pointers hit and 6 more freethrows made=Uconn loss. FTs killed em, as previously stated. FG percentage on 2 pointers irrelevant on the outcome here, also TO killed em. Go over to Jim's, get a cheesesteak and look at the stats in more detail. Good win to Temple though. Glad to see them doing well. Be careful on Broad street......

Reaction Score
We also missed a bunch of bunnies early in the game. No way around it. Our shooting is dreadful.

Reaction Score
Same total number of field goals taken, 6 more 3 pointers hit and 6 more freethrows made=Uconn loss. FTs killed em, as previously stated. FG percentage on 2 pointers irrelevant on the outcome here, also TO killed em. Go over to Jim's, get a cheesesteak and look at the stats in more detail. Good win to Temple though. Glad to see them doing well. Be careful on Broad street.

My point being is both teams played below where they should have. temple missed big free throws down the stretch too...I still don't know how you call that a foul on that three. If you call that, you need to call that drive at the end of regulation too...

Both teams have better basketball in their future...and I like Dalesaandro's not Jim's

Reaction Score
My point being is both teams played below where they should have. temple missed big free throws down the stretch too...I still don't know how you call that a foul on that three. If you call that, you need to call that drive at the end of regulation too...

Both teams have better basketball in their future...and I like Dalesaandro's not Jim's

Everyone shoots poorly against us. Nothing personal but you make no point at all. Our B- game beats Temple.

Best of luck this season.

Reaction Score
Both teams have better basketball in their future...and I like Dalesaandro's not Jim's[/QUOTE]

I'm missing tastykakes badly down in Memphis right now. Much respect to your cheesesteak choice on Dalesaandros. I had to settle for Lee's Hoagie house most of the time I was down there. Keep winning bro, keep winning.

Reaction Score
Shooting is reflection of offensive talent, which this team has very little of. Purvis and Dham are inconsistent, hard having them both off with Boat out.

T Sam is awful, Facey can't score outside of 4 feet if the ball is fed to him or he gets a put back, Brimah probably shoots 20% on everything that's not a dunk, Nolan blows, Omar is easing back into action, and Sam has been a huge disappointment.

We also missed a bunch of bunnies early in the game. No way around it. Our shooting is dreadful.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Brimah had no touch early on. Disappointing.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What??? How dare he! Do you think he meant to miss those shots early on??

Not sure. I wasn't inside his head. I do wish he had made them, though.

Reaction Score
husky91 said:
, Facey can't score outside of 4 feet.

He's 5-6 from outside that range in the last two games. A 12-footer (with a foul) and an 18-footer today. Alas, he missed a tying 18-footer in OT but I was content with the shot. Good, clean look and I expected it to go in the way he's been shooting lately. Plus he shoots foul shots pretty well (although 1-2 today).

He's probably on the verge of getting the ball a lot more if he just learns how to pass with some degree of conviction and not just float balloons into passing lanes.

You should probably learn to see things that contradict your preconceived notions.

Reaction Score
It ain't Facey. Good grief.

We are 245th in 3-point FG %. And that does not include today's 1-9.

We are 60th in overall FG %. Which includes our many lay ups and dunks. Heading into today we were 35th in FT percentage at 73%.

So the other numbers are decent enough to win with the way we play defense. However, it's tough to figure out how we improve until we find a shooter or two.

Reaction Score
It ain't Facey. Good grief.

We are 245th in 3-point FG %. And that does not include today's 1-9.

We are 60th in overall FG %. Which includes our many lay ups and dunks. Heading into today we were 35th in FT percentage at 73%.

So the other numbers are decent enough to win with the way we play defense. However, it's tough to figure out how we improve until we find a shooter or two.
The numbers bear out what we all know deep inside which is that in a majority of games we are a brick factory, so my biggest concern is not for this year but recruiting that shooting talent we need for next.

Reaction Score
Shooting is a big part of it, but shooting is also inextricably linked to passing and ball-handling. You can have the best shooters in the world, but if you can't generate open looks, you're not going to score. Of course there were some open shots missed today, but not many of them were clean looks. Purvis and Hamilton were both taking shots off the dribble rather than the catch-and-shoot looks they were drilling in the last couple games. With Boatright out in the second half, nobody could initiate the offense and things went to hell. Exhibit A would be those two NBA threes Purvis heaved up there - sure sign of frustration/desperation about not being able to get into their sets.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
He's 5-6 from outside that range in the last two games. A 12-footer (with a foul) and an 18-footer today. Alas, he missed a tying 18-footer in OT but I was content with the shot. Good, clean look and I expected it to go in the way he's been shooting lately. Plus he shoots foul shots pretty well (although 1-2 today).

He's probably on the verge of getting the ball a lot more if he just learns how to pass with some degree of conviction and not just float balloons into passing lanes.

You should probably learn to see things that contradict your preconceived notions.
Facey is the bright spot.

Reaction Score
With Facey they need to be sure they give it to him ready to shoot it. He looked real good on the pass across the lane he caught and shot no hesitation. But he also looked like he didn't want the ball a few times with open looks, which is okay. It's up to our coaches and our guards to give it to him in successful areas.

Reaction Score
Facey is the bright spot.
I'm psyched about Facey's skills, his sure quick hands, ability around the rim, but if KO told him to shoot without overthinking he could be a big option. Made a real nice 18 footer. Happy with our bigs.

Reaction Score
That doesn't really matter. If we shoot well we win.
Temple shooting worse than UConn and still winning doesn't matter? If they shoot better and we shoot better don't they still win? So in all losses our opposition played their A-game & we played our B-game....delusional. WVA played great otherwise teams we lost to played so-so. We are what our record says we are...6-5, average.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

What's scary is even when we run our offense well and get open shots we either miss them or pass them up for advised drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom