It's Tate and He'll Be Late. Nine Years Late. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's Tate and He'll Be Late. Nine Years Late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had the unfortunate experience of working with him when he played at UConn (89-90). He was always a nice guy with a lot of personality, but he would cut corners and try to get out of some of the hard work necessary to be the best you can be (i.e. weight room, etc.). As a student, I didn't see the correlation between his lack of work habits and his on court performance. As an adult, and seeing his NBA career and his after NBA issues, it makes perfect sense to me now.

Reaction Score
As everyone piles on Tate, is it possible that maybe his upbringing was not so good? If you combine that with him not being particularly bright, then being sucked into an NBA lifestyle for a brief period that he could not sustain, he made horrendous choices. Making that shot was in retrospect the start of his NBA trip into a very fast lane, one that he just couldn't hang in. He blows his NBA money and now he's supposed to flip burgers? It's a shame none of his coaching mentors had an opportunity to intervene or counsel him before this went out of control.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As everyone piles on Tate, is it possible that maybe his upbringing was not so good? If you combine that with him not being particularly bright, then being sucked into an NBA lifestyle for a brief period that he could not sustain, he made horrendous choices. Making that shot was in retrospect the start of his NBA trip into a very fast lane, one that he just couldn't hang in. He blows his NBA money and now he's supposed to flip burgers? It's a shame none of his coaching mentors had an opportunity to intervene or counsel him before this went out of control.

No way. You do four years under Jim Calhoun, and that excuse should be put to bed, except perhaps in the rarest of circumstances. Tate was given every opportunity in the world and flat out blew it. No one to blame but himself.

Reaction Score
I had the unfortunate experience of working with him when he played at UConn (89-90). He was always a nice guy with a lot of personality, but he would cut corners and try to get out of some of the hard work necessary to be the best you can be (i.e. weight room, etc.). As a student, I didn't see the correlation between his lack of work habits and his on court performance. As an adult, and seeing his NBA career and his after NBA issues, it makes perfect sense to me now.
I thought you were talking about me with this post. I hated practices and always looked for shortcuts. Would fake an injury with a turnover, etc..

I'm a hard worker (who hates hard work) and have become relatively successful in my old age, but you are spot on about bad habits which always caught up to me. Especially waiting till the last minute to complete a task. Of course if I could do it all over again . . . . . . .

To you students, quit any bad/lazy habits now!!

Reaction Score
Some kids with even worse childhood circumstances make it, more probably don't. The thing is that Tate had it good (NBA, income, college hero, college education, etc.). His errors are forgivable but not defensible.

He simply blew it, and wasted the opportunities and gifts he was given. Sorry its all on him and no one else and he is now paying the price for his 'mistakes'. That's life and none of us are immune to failure regardless of our upbringing.

By the way I read he never apologized to his victims or even admitted to any wrongdoing. Everything was blamed on the investments on not his character or even poor decisions. That's not good UConn alumni or not. Remember there are victims some who have suffered tremendously. I love Tate but do not feel sorry for him.

Reaction Score
I know quite a bit about the development world & project finance.

1. All I've read in the last day, and my recollection of past things he said, he is a VERY unsophisticated real estate player. That doesn't mean you can't entice investors to place their trust in you & put cash in your hands. The Primary thing I see: he was associated with a major CT name. Simon Konover. If he really had contractual relations with Konover & a real position in any deal, I think I'd tell colleagues to go ahead ... with normal due diligence.
2. The personal expenses & paying yourself while you are pursuing a deal is commonly done. But ... Also a common trap. Have a blemish or something doesn't happen, and you're screwed. Best to separate all accounts & personal. What he did there ... I've seem other name guys do.
3. Don't go Trump if you think this is not kosher.
4. Yes. A fool represents himself. And desperate. He obviously needs help, God & Lawyers. All the rigamorole definitely expanded his sentence.
5. These AG prosecutors sent out of their way to pile on. Do your JOB. Don't take pleasure & pump up your image with your mouth. I don't respect this.
6. Who knows the realistic chance of this making a groundbreaking. RE Development is very hard. Not for the unsophisticated or gutless.

Sad story. And I'm not following some of you: I hope someone steps up for Tate & he gets some good advice. The Lawrence Phillips story is easy to slide into. (It's OJ too)

Reaction Score
No way. You do four years under Jim Calhoun, and that excuse should be put to bed, except perhaps in the rarest of circumstances. Tate was given every opportunity in the world and flat out blew it. No one to blame but himself.
So everyone who does 4 years under Jim Calhoun should have stellar personal lives and not up? I think we all agree he blew it and is responsible, but his native intelligence, upbringing, parenting etc, these are things that 4 years with Calhoun might not be able to correct. We have numerous players under Coach Calhoun's influence where life does not quite turn out perfect, and I'm not blaming coach.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I present to you the story of Caron Butler. Kemba Walker. Ryan Boatright. And others. That is all.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So everyone who does 4 years under Jim Calhoun should have stellar personal lives and not up? I think we all agree he blew it and is responsible, but his native intelligence, upbringing, parenting etc, these are things that 4 years with Calhoun might not be able to correct. We have numerous players under Coach Calhoun's influence where life does not quite turn out perfect, and I'm not blaming coach.

In the extreme cases, I'd agree. I think it would always have been tough for a guy like Nate Miles. Or someone who was serially abused as a child.

But for the average guy from lesser circumstances? Absolutely. People aren't static. We are all capable of growth, regardless of our pasts. There's been far too many guys who've come from crap, made mistakes, and pulled themselves together to be successful or, at the minimum, law abiding citizens.

It comes down to your choices. The choices you make determine your directions. There's a measure of personal responsibility that kicks in as you age and mature.

Guys can mess up in the future, sure. But if they learn from it, atone, and grow, then they are good by me and good by society. Tate continues to screw people and lie, refuses to apologize, passes the blame, and refuses to take responsibility for his actions.

Reaction Score
I'll go the other way.

William Rhoden, Harvey Araton & others ... Have piled on Jim Calhoun for the grad rate. Which, given our number of guys who played pro (domestic & foreign) & the capacity of some to return to classes & just a general sense that these guys are themselves accountable ... always left me numb.

Calhoun pushing you for years has to have had a very positive force in your life. A far more enriching experience than that Sociology degree or Recreation from WVU. This sets you on a hard work & accountable park. No doubt: Tate is a lost soul.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'll go the other way.

William Rhoden, Harvey Araton & others ... Have piled on Jim Calhoun for the grad rate. Which, given our number of guys who played pro (domestic & foreign) & the capacity of some to return to classes & just a general sense that these guys are themselves accountable ... always left me numb.

Calhoun pushing you for years has to have had a very positive force in your life. A far more enriching experience than that Sociology degree or Recreation from WVU. This sets you on a hard work & accountable park. No doubt: Tate is a lost soul.

I've always felt one part of the grad rate and APR was ducked up. Not all kids are cut out to play at a major D1 program, especially for someone as demanding as JC. And it's difficult to determine who is not before matriculation.

So when a kid has to transfer out because he can't cut it (for whatever reason), the metrics are screwed up. Now people talk about good standing, but what if the kid's problem is not being able to keep up academically and balance his schedule with basketball? He's got to go, for both himself and the program. But that just hurts the school from a metrics perspective.

Never made sense to me.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I know quite a bit about the development world & project finance.

1. All I've read in the last day, and my recollection of past things he said, he is a VERY unsophisticated real estate player. That doesn't mean you can't entice investors to place their trust in you & put cash in your hands. The Primary thing I see: he was associated with a major CT name. Simon Konover. If he really had contractual relations with Konover & a real position in any deal, I think I'd tell colleagues to go ahead ... with normal due diligence.
2. The personal expenses & paying yourself while you are pursuing a deal is commonly done. But ... Also a common trap. Have a blemish or something doesn't happen, and you're screwed. Best to separate all accounts & personal. What he did there ... I've seem other name guys do.
3. Don't go Trump if you think this is not kosher.
4. Yes. A fool represents himself. And desperate. He obviously needs help, God & Lawyers. All the rigamorole definitely expanded his sentence.
5. These AG prosecutors sent out of their way to pile on. Do your JOB. Don't take pleasure & pump up your image with your mouth. I don't respect this.
6. Who knows the realistic chance of this making a groundbreaking. RE Development is very hard. Not for the unsophisticated or gutless.

Sad story. And I'm not following some of you: I hope someone steps up for Tate & he gets some good advice. The Lawrence Phillips story is easy to slide into. (It's OJ too)

JMO, but the Lawrence Phillips thing is completely and utterly different from what is going on here. An incredibly talented and violent man with an incredibly violent past, with an egregiously escalated fall from grace.

Reaction Score
Maybe the guilt he felt over his NBA contract caused him to do this.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
lack of remorse didnt help... blaming everyone else, false documents and firing lawyers to represent yourself really shows his arrogance not his upbringing.

between his "childhood" and his forties there should have been some growth but all he learned was how "fast talk" folks...

Id like to hear from the people he tried to sway but didnt fall for his "fast talk"

He used his name and fame (UConn) to persuade a few (even our own Charlie V)... now he must pay for his actions

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And how do you know that he's not bright?

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

This is absurd. Calhoun, to this day, has an open door for all his players. How many times have we heard about former players reaching out to JC for advice or assistance, and he's always responded. Tate George had the UConn family available to support him and instead of reaching out for help, he scammed them. He got what he deserved.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
This is too sad for me to gloat over.

Tate was the most enthusiastic and supportive guy on the 1990 team. When this problem came to light, I was really disappointed. He's a big boy and deserves the conviction.But I think it was a bit heavy handed for a guy with a clean record. He messed up his defense which was stupid or crazy,but he shouldn't get more jail time for that.
Just seems crazy that the the liars and cheats who cost people trillions of dollars and almost tanked the world's economy never spent a day in prison and Tate gets 9 years/

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Tate was the most enthusiastic and supportive guy on the 1990 team. When this problem came to light, I was really disappointed. He's a big boy and deserves the conviction.But I think it was a bit heavy handed for a guy with a clean record. He messed up his defense which was stupid or crazy,but he shouldn't get more jail time for that.
Just seems crazy that the the liars and cheats who cost people trillions of dollars and almost tanked the world's economy never spent a day in prison and Tate gets 9 years/

Nobody here is gloating. But you can't be afraid to call a spade a spade. Tate has No excuses, no one to blame but himself. That's all anyone is saying.

The reality is you can't go into court, after you've been caught red handed, then ignore all common sense legal advice, and try to lie and blame your way out of it. He's learned nothing.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Nobody here is gloating. But you can't be afraid to call a spade a spade.

You may want to find a better expression.

Don't disagree he did it all himself. Just makes me feel sad. Some are a bit self-righteous or see it as a joke. Not a big deal. Maybe it is harder for those who were there in 1990. He wasn't what he has become.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You may want to find a better expression.

What's wrong with the expression "calling a spade a spade"? I'm not talking about what he was, merely what he has become. Life changes people.

I pretty much joke about everything, because it's fun and makes me less depressed about things. Got to find the humor in anything. Doesn't take away from the actual seriousness of the situation.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

He cheated members of the UConn family. He stole from a UConn teammate and lied about it... I'm sure if it was your money he spent on himself you would have a different opinion about the time he's spending behind bars, because the sad reality is that the folks who got scammed by him will be getting pennies on the dollar in payback.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
A little self righteous? I said he deserves the conviction. But FYI, I would feel sad and angry if it was my money.
But not as angry as I am about the creeps who sold crap derivatives on Wall Street, Or the Trumps of the world who declare multiple bankruptcies and hurt many more people while staying rich.
Tate is broke and incarcerated. I think that is justice enough.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A little self righteous? I said he deserves the conviction. But FYI, I would feel sad and angry if it was my money.
But not as angry as I am about the creeps who sold crap derivatives on Wall Street, Or the Trumps of the world who declare multiple bankruptcies and hurt many more people while staying rich.
Tate is broke and incarcerated. I think that is justice enough.
and he wasted the courts time... he wanted to "play" so they played along. His sentence was within the guidelines of the crimes he was charged with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom