Its only the Beginning | The Boneyard

Its only the Beginning

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well here we are again, another season of WCBB. We've got all the pieces to the puzzle in place. Yes we have bigs. Before I get into my thoughts on the future I have to answer a bigs question. There have been questions on this board as to why so many bigs havent come to UConn and thats a mystery to me. The reason we havent been landing bigs is a mystery. Our coaching staff has developed some pretty good bigs in the past. Most likely there are many reasons all of which we dont know why they dont come. IMO to be offered the opportunity to play for the best teacher and best coach and not play for them is a mystery to me. Kids have their reasons. To play for the best, with the best and knowing UConns history and accomplishments and saying no to Genos offer is again a mystery. So when a kid says no to UConn dont dwell on it asking why they didnt come.

The funny thing is UConn continues to make FF and win NC's and is the premier program in WCBB. With our freshman class this season and with our next two classes already lining up and our current roster which has no seniors shows UConn will set themselves apart from everybody else again. UConn is in position to make another run at setting new records in WCBB most of which theyve already set.

I say that because UConn has bigs this season and has a big coming in next season and will have another big a season later. So how big can UConn get? Not to many clubs have bigs commited for the next two season and that translates into the next 9-10 seasons. We have a couple of high school number 1's and a number 2. Not many teams have that either. We have some international players tops in their countries and not many teams have that either. A good thing is we're still recruiting top players over the next few years to add to our already cream of the crop team.

We're in a nice position to make another run at a NC and we're in position to do that over the next few seasons. Many of the top teams have bigs that will be graduating over the next 3-4 seasons some sooner and they dont have replacements. UConn does. We are entering a new beginning in UConn history. A dynasty period where UConn will domin8 for a very long time.

You see it all starts with a dream of being number 1. A dream of being the best and in some cases being the greatest in a program that can get you there. UConn has the program that can get you there. Other teams have experienced one year wonders in making the FF or NC game. Other schools have hopes of making the national tournament. One thing I learned along time ago...you cant wish yourself to the top. You have to have a mindset. You have to have a vehicle that can get you there and UConn is the vehicle to get you there. UConn is a program and the only program that continually is there every year. Thats all possible because Geno has a system and everybody must be on the same page. Genos system works. Those girls who have the "want to" and talent will flourish in his system. It takes discipline, determination and you must be coachable. To be great at anything you must have the fire of desire and the willingness to learn and be willing to give up everything to become the player and person you want to be. Some girls want to be the shooting star. That may not be at UConn because everybody is a star and everybody is equal. The stars shine at UConn and the ole saying there is no I in team because at UConn T>E>A>M> means Together Everybody Achieves More. To become a UConn Husky is an Honor.

Dont get to high on UConns talent. We still have newbies who have to learn the system. The team chemistry and cohesiveness must be built with the team and it all must become reflexive within Genos system for this team to gell. The most important thing is individual confidence and team confidence in each other which breeds belief

We are entering a new Beginning at UConn and its exciting. I can tell from reading the board and listening to the players coaches and fans. It continues to amaze me how Geno continues to make his already unbelievable teams better then then they were. Alot of that has to do with the talent getting better.

So here we wait for November 25. Alot of this season will depend on staying heathly and that goes for every team. So lets hang on to our seats and Welcome the New Beginning

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Who knows, they might even break the unbreakable streak of 111 wins in a row. I will predict this record that they will help make is that. "When Geno retires from coaching he will hold the record for most wins in the women's game and have the highest winning percentage of any coach." He holds the NC record with 11, will most likely attain a few more and depending how long he coaches he has an outside shot of passing Coach K.

Reaction Score
Tony is all in on this team and for some years to come, and with good reason. What I don't expect is another monstrous win streak. Since 2001 UConn has had win streaks of 70, 90 and 111. That kind of dominance is hard to comprehend. There are too many good programs now to reel off those kinds of streaks. Which is a good thing. I expect UConn to be favored in 98% of the games they play over the next 4 or 5 seasons, win the vast majority of their games, win some NCs and make us all feel very good about ourselves.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There is nothing quite like a Tonyc post to brighten up your day. :)
[/QUOTE

UConn can’t ”officially“ begin the season until tonyc sets the tone for the season, and gives us his take on what to look for, and who to watch. Thanks Tony, great post. Now..............let the games begin. Enjoy the season everyone. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With Corona cases surging in Connecticut again, we better hope the state even allows them to have a season. Given what's going on particularly in the eastern part of the state, November 25th might as well be next year.

Reaction Score
I can see a UConn South Carolina Finals for the next decade. Both teams are loaded.

Reaction Score
With Corona cases surging in Connecticut again, we better hope the state even allows them to have a season. Given what's going on particularly in the eastern part of the state, November 25th might as well be next year.
Come on man, don't be injecting reality into our party. I've watched the NBA, NFL, tennis, hockey (hometown Lightning win it all) and baseball (hometown Rays playing in ALC as I write). I'm pretending that WCBB will be able to play as well. If my voice seems muffled it is because I have intentionally buried my head into the plentiful Florida sand. All is quiet and peaceful, optimistic even, from my semi-intered prospective.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just happened to see some Women's College Volleyball being played (ESPN2) and all the players are wearing masks. I do not think it was mandated?? I think the thinking that transmission is more likely through the air than on surfaces is behind this. I wonder if this will propagate into basketball?? I understand their is a somewhat different level of physicality but maybe it might be feasible??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just happened to see some Women's College Volleyball being played (ESPN2) and all the players are wearing masks. I do not think it was mandated?? I think the thinking that transmission is more likely through the air than on surfaces is behind this. I wonder if this will propagate into basketball?? I understand their is a somewhat different level of physicality but maybe it might be feasible??
Watching the same match between ND & Pitt. I was also surprised to see players wearing masks. Not sure it would work for basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom