It's Not Our Year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's Not Our Year?

sun

Reaction Score
Thoughts.
Pros: Azzi is no longer injured and just needs to get game ready.
She'll be playing and back to 100% sooner than Paige.

If Paige makes it back it will be because that's what spark plugs do, they spark.
Those two being on the court together even if only in spurts should be big motivators that shouldn't be underestimated.

Cons: Other teams are loaded with senior & 5th year talent.
There's multiple teams that can beat any other team any day of the week.

IMO a good year for UConn at this point would simply be to survive their region and make it to the FF.
From there the difference between winning or losing a NC is usually only a basket or two.
No one should predict that UConn doesn't have a chance because that wouldn't be true.
A chance is a chance, so why spoil people's hopes and dreams before the fat lady sings?
UConn has as good of a chance to be a Cinderella as anyone, and maybe even more so because of all of
its Fab Factors.
It's always been "one game at a time" & "one basket at a time" and that's the way that it will always be.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Pros: Azzi is no longer injured and just needs to get game ready.
She'll be playing and back to 100% sooner than Paige.

If Paige makes it back it will be because that's what spark plugs do, they spark.
Those two being on the court together even if only in spurts should be big motivators that shouldn't be underestimated.

Cons: Other teams are loaded with senior & 5th year talent.
There's multiple teams that can beat any other team any day of the week.

IMO a good year for UConn at this point would simply be to survive their region and make it to the FF.
From there the difference between winning or losing a NC is usually only a basket or two.
No one should predict that UConn doesn't have a chance because that wouldn't be true.
A chance is a chance, so why spoil people's hopes and dreams before the fat lady sings?
UConn has as good of a chance to be a Cinderella as anyone, and maybe even more so because of all of
its Fab Factors.
It's always been "one game at a time" & "one basket at a time" and that's the way that it will always be.
Realistically, in your heart of hearts, what do you really think UConn's chances are of reaching the FF this year, knowing the teams they would have to go through to get there? I'm NOT talking about or taking into consideration what they've done in the past. That has nothing to do with THIS team. You make a great point about other teams being loaded with seniors. That does make a difference when you have 21 and 22 year olds on the floor running the team that are mature, been in the program for 4 years, and know what they are doing, and won't make freshman or sophomore mistakes.

I'm talking about THIS TEAM. Knowing what you know about THIS team, and knowing what you've seen from this team thus far, and how some players have a tendency to not show up for BIG games, and keeping in mind that UConn WILL NOT see any teams beyond the first game of the caliber of BIG East teams, would you bet the farm on THIS team surviving the first two weekends?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing like a snappy title to get people interested. In message #70 of St. John’s post game thread, BBallF aptly summarized the team’s troubles this season and I thought he wrote that this is not our year, a sentiment that I have sadly come to share. On a closer reading of the text, however, such a view was not expressed. Still, my incorrect reading of BBallF’s statement crystalized my own views on this season and let me state the reasons for this opinion.

First, the team has suffered a series of injuries unprecedented since 2000-01, those of Bueckers, Azzi, and Griffin being the most significant. The general consensus is that the team will be really good once the walking wounded return, but will the injured players return and how effective will their play be? I keep wondering about Fudd. She played several games before being shut down and the likelihood is that she was not at 100% from the beginning of the season. She has been out much longer than anticipated. Assuming she returns this season, will she be healthy enough to be the player that we all anticipated? Will she demonstrate the ability to get open to shoot and can she play defense? We can perhaps see within the next couple of weeks. As for Paige, with luck she will be able to play a few games before the Big East Tournament. Yet what can we expect? Will either be close to 100% this season and, if so, will that be enough for a championship run? I am not sure for reasons 2 and 3 below.

Second, Edwards has not been the player she was last season, probably the result of the Canadian Olympic team experience. She seems slower and lacks confidence. Unless she regains her mojo, I don’t think the team has a prayer of making the Final Four.

Third, let’s not forget that Aubrey Griffin has been out for the entire season and what a crucial part of the team’s equation she has been for the past two years. She is a fierce defender and excellent rebounder and has been sorely missed.

Fourth, the team has lost four players from last year’s team - Makurat, Chassion, Poffenbarger, and McLean. Makurat played major minutes in every game until her mid-season injury, McLean had some good minutes last season, and given the injuries Poffenbarger and Chassion would probably have seen playing time by now. All, however, have left the program, an unprecedented number in the program’s history, and two after the season started.

On the plus side, however, has been the remarkable play of Caroline Ducharme, a multi-talented athlete with the ability to get open and make shots, and the improved game of Dorka Juhasz.

No one is throwing in the towel, certainly not Geno, the staff, and the players and it is probably a good thing that the South Carolina game has been cancelled, so we must try to be optimistic. The glass may be half empty but it is not empty yet and we can hope for the return Williams soon and of Fudd and Bueckers later down the line. Then we shall see.
I don't think Chassion ever would have played in " real time.' ( ie not garbage time ). And peffenbarger certainly would have been given her shot, particularly given all the injuries. McClain never showed much, honestly. I think she left for a variety of reasons...one of which was, she never felt good or confident here. But the argument you make is compelling. I worried about Azzi from day one when she didn't seem right. It was always my prediction that she might get back on the court in mid February( I assumed it was a fracture of some sort ) So her injury ( whatever it was ) was serious. When Muhl had " a similar injury " but returned weeks before Fudd, we all knew something was way wrong. Aubrey is pure bad luck. Back injuries can be career enders. As to Paige, we can't simply assume she'll be back 100%. Not this year anyway. I fear that she will go too far, too fast ( as is her nature ), and expose herself to another non contact injury ( or contact, for that matter). But that is me. She will do what she will do. We can only hope for the best. Two win the whole thing we need the following: Paige to be Paige. Fudd to be the superstar ( all around basketball player ) everyone says she is; Williams to be at her best in every way. Olivia hitting 12 footers with ease. Caroline improving week by week. Muhl doing her thing and hitting open threes. And Westbrook breaking out. If Dorka and Edwards simply do what they can do, it would be enough.

Reaction Score
With UCONN play being inconsistent quarter to quarter, it is difficult to predict what will happen in games, even against the best teams. When you have great players, it is always possible to win it all. As the coach says, if the players play UCONN hard and listen, they can do very well. I am hopeful that games like the one against DePaul will spur them on to believe and to become as close to the best they can be. I have not given up on this season!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I might have to tack this thread to the top of the board for mojo purposes :cool:

Reaction Score
Realistically, in your heart of hearts, what do you really think UConn's chances are of reaching the FF this year, knowing the teams they would have to go through to get there? I'm NOT talking about or taking into consideration what they've done in the past. That has nothing to do with THIS team. You make a great point about other teams being loaded with seniors. That does make a difference when you have 21 and 22 year olds on the floor running the team that are mature, been in the program for 4 years, and know what they are doing, and won't make freshman or sophomore mistakes.

I'm talking about THIS TEAM. Knowing what you know about THIS team, and knowing what you've seen from this team thus far, and how some players have a tendency to not show up for BIG games, and keeping in mind that UConn WILL NOT see any teams beyond the first game of the caliber of BIG East teams, would you bet the farm on THIS team surviving the first two weekends?
Short answer: yes. This team has a much, much better chance of making it to the FF than most of the other ~350 D1 schools. The NC is something else. UConn, assuming they go through at least 1 very good team to get to the FF, they would then have to go through 2 top teams for the NC. A very tall order, but stranger things have happened...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yesterday's win, though far from perfect
will strike fear into the heart of the community

Who wants to face his developing monstrosity in the sweet 16
True, DePaul is not a defensive juggernaut
But they surely made an effort last night.
And the home cooking reffing gave them a big advanage

Yet the Husky's climbed out of the hole they had dug and prevailed.
Finally, some shooters came back
I think Geno really enjoyed being able to sub guards...went overboard?
Folks who critique Liv's play, forget the confusion and doubt
the ref's must have sown...She's fine.

This was a great team win, now if we can get the laggards to regain form
UConn will be a tough (perhaps impossible) out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yesterday's win, though far from perfect
will strike fear into the heart of the community

Who wants to face his developing monstrosity in the sweet 16
True, DePaul is not a defensive juggernaut
But they surely made an effort last night.
And the home cooking reffing gave them a big advanage

Yet the Husky's climbed out of the hole they had dug and prevailed.
Finally, some shooters came back
I think Geno really enjoyed being able to sub guards...went overboard?
Folks who critique Liv's play, forget the confusion and doubt
the ref's must have sown...She's fine.

This was a great team win, now if we can get the laggards to regain form
UConn will be a tough (perhaps impossible) out.
The Huskies finally got comfortable with the team they had available and then at the last second, Christyn and Azzi play. The game plan may not have had them so prominent in the offense

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Playing DePaul in Chicago is a tough order in any given season...their style of basketball...run and gun...taking lots of 3s and hitting enough of them to keep the score in the 80s and 90s makes them a tough opponent. Throw in Nazlah Morrow who was the closest thing to unstoppable that I have seen in a long time. I will not address the officiating as I don't think on a neutral court that this will be an issue.

UConn's flaws during this stretch were exposed but realistically it isn't like we had the pieces to cover them up. In the past when UConn would lose a major player they had enough players to cover up the loss however, during this stretch the losses came in bunches. At one time we lost two players to transfer portal and say what you will but that was two bodies one of which Mir MacLean I believe could have helped us especially with Aubrey Griffin being lost for the season. Then having Paige, Azzi, NIka and Aubrey out of the line-up that left UConn in an extremely depleted position and hiding flaws became impossible. Then just when you think you are getting back on track you lose Christyn Williams for three games.

I think UConn dodged a bullet last night because without the return of Williams and Azzi Fudd and without them playing surprisingly well given their extended absence from the team and its practices we would not have won that game.

This brings us to what to expect from the future...quite simply UConn at full strength is going to be a tough out for any team including South Carolina, Stamford. Louisville, Oregon...whatever. Players Olivia, Williams, Dorka, Ducharme and Muhl have had to bite the bullet and have had to channel their inner "if it is meant to be...it is up to me" persona. The net effect is a much better team where everyone is contributing. Some players like Evina and Edwards seem to be out of rhythm and some of our bigs on the bench haven't developed enough yet (DeBerry and Gabriel). Just imagine what other teams will face if Evina, Edwards, DeBerry and Gabriel round into shape and can contribute nightly to the outcome of the game. Just think.... They will be scary good!

I think having a starting five of Olivia, Williams, Paige, Azzi and Caroline is a nightmare for any team. And, with a potent Dorka, Muhl, Westbrook and Edwards coming off the bench and DeBerry and Gabriele giving meaningful minutes in the 4th quarter there will just be no reprieve for opposing teams...they will not be able to match UConn's deep bench. Of course, I may be asking too much of the second squad (Evina, Edwards, Muhl, Dorka and DeBerry) but just think about what would happen if they did step up.

It could mean number 12. I could mean that this group of kids could do something special. Coming from a 4 seed and winning a national championship in Women's college basketball that has lacked the parity in the past for this to happen would be something special,

Reaction Score
After the loss to Villanova, let me reopen this thread with some additional comments, most of which have been discussed on the postgame thread and I am certain that I will be repeating most of the thoughts relayed at that time. This also follows Carnac’s message #25.

It looks as though UConn will be a #3 seed for the Big Dance, assuming no more stumbles along the way and, since the team will be facing DePaul and Marquette again in the regular season and probably two of DePaul, Marquette, and Villanova in the Big East tournament, we cannot automatically assume that the Huskies will not lose any more games before the NCAAs. Such largely depends on whom is available to play. The Huskies will have a tough haul against both DePaul today and Marquette on Sunday if ONO and Ducharme continue to be unavailable.

As I see it, the team has two difficulties that must be overcome for any deep run in the NCAA tournament. First, inconsistent front court play and, second, lack of shooters. Our down low weakness was on full display against Villanova - ONO was out, Dorka is injured, and Edwards was totally ineffective. In the Edwards case, the problem was largely due to fouls away from the ball not due to trying to block shots or preventing an opponent of getting to the basket. The Huskies basically have three good outside shooters - Bueckers, Ducharme, and Fudd - and thus far it seems as though only one has been available at a time. Nika, Evina, and Christyn are too inconsistent from long range and without enough good shooters, the inside gets clogged up and limits driving to basket.

To have any chance of getting to the Final Four, UConn needs healthy ONO, Dorka, and Edwards, and Aaliyah needs to play the way she did against Tennessee and not against Villanova. In addition, we need a healthy back court with at least Azzi and Caroline in full stride. We can hope that Bueckers will be available and healthy, but I don’t think we can count on it. It is possible that she will be back for the Big East tournament and/or the NCAAs but we cannot know for certain.

If the bigs are healthy and we have two of our most reliable outside shooters available, then a march to the regional finals is not out of the question. To go any farther, we need Paige. Otherwise, I’m afraid that our streak of Final Fours will end, as have several other streaks during the season. Go Huskies!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Earlier this season I laid out the bones of a movie plot... a high ranked team's Star player goes down early in the season with serious injury, many think all hope is lost. Then another player goes down, and then another...some to injury some to COVID. A few players "jump ship"... but those that remained healthy and available rally around each other, and the coaches change their approach to many game plans. They battle their way through the season, they learn and grow together through each win and loss, they improve their individual and Team play. As the season gets to 2nd half, the injured and sick return one by one. The Team blends them in and the Coaches make needed adjustments to continue to improve. Before the BIG Dance all sick and injured are back in uniform...rally around each other and take one step at a time... all the way to the final 4.....and then?????

Who knows, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!! We have the pieces...just need to get them all well and healthy.

It's gonna be fun to watch!!! Just have to come up with a catchy title for the movie... :):cool:
This season does have a “heroic quest“ flavor about it, doesn’t it?

Not that we’re not doomed, because we are. Very doomed. Very doomed indeed.

Reaction Score
Only if the SC players are asked to spell it.
If SC would play the Quinnipiac team from the1954/55 era that had those two fella's that were lights out from the half court stripe/in. That would be a show.. Anybody remember those two..??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The year ain’t over yet.
1C14EFB7-BE19-4C80-9E43-ACA2D1A95740.jpeg

Reaction Score
One, SMALL nugget of gold. Assuming Paige comes back and we make it through the first few rounds of the playoffs, UConn will be impossible to game plan against. Even Geno will be struggling to glue the team back together so doubt anyone else can predict how the final lineup, whatever that ends up being, will play.;)

Reaction Score
We haven't seen Bueckers, Fudd, and Ducharme together at full strength. If we get them all by tournament time, there's no telling how far they could go.

Reaction Score
We haven't seen Bueckers, Fudd, and Ducharme together at full strength. If we get them all by tournament time, there's no telling how far they could go.
I don't know what the future holds, I need to ask Carnac. I will go way out on a limb and say that no matter how it ends, this season will be talked about for a long time. Do you believe it miracles?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom