it's about time - Go Geno | The Boneyard

it's about time - Go Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Saying he didn't blame Notre Dame for looking out for its best interest, he added, "Join us in football and then look out for your best interest."

The problem, Geno, is that joining us in football is the exact opposite of looking out for their best interest.

Their interests are:

Independent, B1G/ACC, SEC, Big XII

HUGE GAP

Big East

Reaction Score
"Saying he didn't blame Notre Dame for looking out for its best interest, he added, "Join us in football and then look out for your best interest."

The problem, Geno, is that joining us in football is the exact opposite of looking out for their best interest.

Their interests are:

Independent, B1G/ACC, SEC, Big XII

HUGE GAP

Big East

In the current landscape of things yes, but if you actually read the article he was referring to how this might never have happened if sometime earlier in this 17 year courtship they had come aboard. Now they could certainly stabilize things in the BE as he mentions if they decided today's the day, BE here we are...all in, and who knows how the most recent defectors would react . SU and Pitt would have to think about it IMO.

Reaction Score
In the current landscape of things yes, but if you actually read the article he was referring to how this might never have happened if sometime earlier in this 17 year courtship they had come aboard. Now they could certainly stabilize things in the BE as he mentions if they decided today's the day, BE here we are...all in, and who knows how the most recent defectors would react . SU and Pitt would have to think about it IMO.
Goes back to the thread from a couple days ago about Penn State being refused entry in 1985 into the Big East because they sucked in basketball. If PSU had joined the BE back then Notre Dame could only have joined the BE in all sports, if they had refused bringing in football then PSU, Miami, Cuse, and Ptt would have told them no deal. Thety would have been forced to have included football and maybe the Big East Football TV Network would have been born.

Reaction Score
I read the article, where do you think the quote came from? His quote is referring to today, not 17 years ago.

ND was clear about never joining the Big East for football. Of course they could stabilize the Big East, nobody disagrees with that. However, being pissed off that they choose to act in their own best interest, instead of others' best interest, and playing the christian card in the process, is pretty pathetic and a weak attempt at guilting them into doing our bidding, IMHO.

Reaction Score
I read the article, where do you think the quote came from? His quote is referring to today, not 17 years ago.

ND was clear about never joining the Big East for football. Of course they could stabilize the Big East, nobody disagrees with that. However, being pissed off that they choose to act in their own best interest, instead of others' best interest, and playing the christian card in the process, is pretty pathetic and a weak attempt at guilting them into doing our bidding, IMHO.

This is what I was referring to;

"They've been in our league something like [17] years. How long are we going to date before we just decide this ain't working? I'm not happy about it. That's not the opinion of UConn, the Big East Conference, my president, my AD. That's just Geno Auriemma's opinion. I'm pissed about it."

"If Notre Dame had come in as a football and basketball school, all in, we wouldn't have a problem," Auriemma said. "Miami wouldn't have left. Virginia Tech wouldn't have left. Boston College wouldn't have left [all for the ACC]. We probably wouldn't have any of these issues, would we?

Their interests in the current climate may be exactly what you say, then again they may not. You or I have no idea what their interests are beyond the fact that they have spurned every conference offer to date including some from the very ones you name. The things he said ring true, and for too long have gone unsaid, probably for fear of upsetting those in the Golden Dome. Well now's the time to say it, quite frankly we have nothing to lose. They take their other sports somewhere else, BFD. I would rather them go down swinging, even if deep down I do feel its too little too late.[/quote]

Reaction Score
People don't walk around scared of upsetting ND. The relationship was beneficial to both parties, that's why we signed on to it. It's got nothing to do with fear of ND. They can walk any time they want, and nothing Geno says, or anyone else, is going to make that happen. They'll walk when it's in their best interest to do so.

Funny how long many on this board made fun of the "irrelevant" ND and argued against playing them in a neutral venue, or with an uneven series, and now many of those same critics have come to the realization that ND is still ND, even if they sucked on the field for a decade or more.

Reaction Score
Again you claim to know what people do and do not do in regard to ND. If you have some inside knowledge please share it. But for a number of years now the BE has been in dire straits and the leaders in the conference chose to sit back and wait and be reactionary. They should have come forward as a group long ago and said "all in" or take your teams somewhere else and if they did so be it. The past arrangement worked for a time but that time had past long ago.

Explain one benefit of having ND in everything but football? Would the BE BB have suffered without them? Baseball? W BB? right none of the other sports would have been affected. Did the Conference gain money from the past relationship? Oh right they kept the real money to themselves. The arrangement was made in hopes that eventually they would move their FB into the conference as well, since that was apparent many years ago that this was never going to happen, yes they should have cut them loose long ago. For whatever reason they didn't. And here we are now,we find that maybe it was best that they hadn't cut them loose. Our conference mate for the last 17 years can not only help right the ship but potentially help bring others onboard.

The irrelevance of ND you speak of I would be willing to bet was in terms of being competitive on a national level. Minus a couple of seasons they haven't been relevant for some time. The context in which you use it is really naive quite frankly.

ND wants to call the shots for their football. Much like our old arrangement whose time has past, their run as an independent has past and will come to an end. But if they think for a second that the power conferences are going to let ND be ND they have a rude awakening coming. ND's value is in their history in football, not their other sports. Their FB team will not be waking up the echoes in those conferences, they have been very average at best for 20 years and that is being generous. I would be shocked if a power conference will stand for the type of crap the BE has, they will be forced into an all or nothing stituation. They stand a much better chance in the BE then trying to compete elsewhere, at least here they could appear like they are still relevant.

People don't walk around scared of upsetting ND. The relationship was beneficial to both parties, that's why we signed on to it. It's got nothing to do with fear of ND. They can walk any time they want, and nothing Geno says, or anyone else, is going to make that happen. They'll walk when it's in their best interest to do so.

Funny how long many on this board made fun of the "irrelevant" ND and argued against playing them in a neutral venue, or with an uneven series, and now many of those same critics have come to the realization that ND is still ND, even if they sucked on the field for a decade or more.

Reaction Score
Again you claim to know what people do and do not do in regard to ND. If you have some inside knowledge please share it. But for a number of years now the BE has been in dire straits and the leaders in the conference chose to sit back and wait and be reactionary. They should have come forward as a group long ago and said "all in" or take your teams somewhere else and if they did so be it. The past arrangement worked for a time but that time had past long ago.

Explain one benefit of having ND in everything but football? Would the BE BB have suffered without them? Baseball? W BB? right none of the other sports would have been affected. Did the Conference gain money from the past relationship? Oh right they kept the real money to themselves. The arrangement was made in hopes that eventually they would move their FB into the conference as well, since that was apparent many years ago that this was never going to happen, yes they should have cut them loose long ago. For whatever reason they didn't. And here we are now,we find that maybe it was best that they hadn't cut them loose. Our conference mate for the last 17 years can not only help right the ship but potentially help bring others onboard.

The irrelevance of ND you speak of I would be willing to bet was in terms of being competitive on a national level. Minus a couple of seasons they haven't been relevant for some time. The context in which you use it is really naive quite frankly.

ND wants to call the shots for their football. Much like our old arrangement whose time has past, their run as an independent has past and will come to an end. But if they think for a second that the power conferences are going to let ND be ND they have a rude awakening coming. ND's value is in their history in football, not their other sports. Their FB team will not be waking up the echoes in those conferences, they have been very average at best for 20 years and that is being generous. I would be shocked if a power conference will stand for the type of crap the BE has, they will be forced into an all or nothing stituation. They stand a much better chance in the BE then trying to compete elsewhere, at least here they could appear like they are still relevant.

Jerry - GREAT post. It would be nice to have ND in the BE but I wish everyone would stop sucking up to them. I am a season ticket holder and I would not go to a neutral site for our home games to see them. Play at the Rent or not at all.

Reaction Score

Do you enjoy arguing with yourself? Most of this rant isn't even directed at anything I said.

I'm naive? Ok, keep thinking ND is irrelevant when the fact is there isn't a conference in the country that wouldn't welcome them with open arms tomorrow for all sports. Can UConn say the same?

As for the value they bring the conference, I've been over it time and again. No point in repeating. Your bitterness toward them won't let you see the reality of the situation anyway.

Reaction Score
Oh no, now BL can blame Geno for Uconn not getting an invite to the ACC

+1000 Extremely hilarious. Good post. Oh and BTW, Notre Dame needs to have it's thrown out of the BE once and for all. They are parasites, feeding off the BE in all other sports.

Reaction Score
+1000 Extremely hilarious. Good post. Oh and BTW, Notre Dame needs to have it's thrown out of the BE once and for all. They are parasites, feeding off the BE in all other sports.

It's too late to kick ND out. Everyonen claimed that having ND as a BE tie in helped us get better bowl games, and while that is true, look what it got us in the end. ND's president claiming that Syracuse and Pitt were selfish for thinking of their needs instead of the conference. After the first raid, the MT should have drawn the line with ND, all in or out and invited 5 football teams instead of 3 football and 2 basketball.

Everything MT did was an effort to satisfy ND and not the interest of the BE, and now JM looks to do the same. Tired of those parasites, don't give them any comfort in whatever is left of the BE, sick and tired of the BE being ND's whore. The loss of Syracuse and Pitt is just too much to overcome and I'd rather see Uconn go to the ACC and WVU and Lville go to the Big 12 just so that the guys in Providence never have authority over football schools. They can have their A-10 type conference and screw themselves. This was a royal duck up from the point where the BE turned down Penn St. I'm done with JM and evryone asssociated with BE leadership.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The relationship has not been worth it for some time. Geno, is right that their status creates instability. As far as we know the BE is the only AQ willing to accommodate their FB independence. If AQ affiliation, in this case meaning large research institutions, for their olympic sports, then they would have joined one long ago.

In addition to having one less chair to fill, we would not have to deal with everyone positioning themselves to add ND and this process would be shorter.

Is all this worth it for Champs sports bowl? They are no longer worth the trouble and if the BB schools have any interest in preserving BE FB, they should end the relationship.

You learn the value of partners when times are bad. ND is standing by while the BE is being attacked, knowing they could end it. Rather than step in to help, they are standing around to pick over the carcass. They are of course, under no obligation but a partner they are not. IMO, they are no longer worth the trouble.

If I'm a BB school I would demand to know ND's intentions in the event of a split. Also, if I'm a BB with an interest in keeping the FB schools in conference then I'm telling ND it's all in or time to shake hands and move on.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Are you a ND homer Wing U?
LOL, no. I hate ND. I just refuse to live in a fantasy land where they should act in our best interest, and they are to blame for our shortcomings.

Reaction Score
parasites, LMAO? Not Depaul, not Seton Hall, nope. Notre Dame are the parasites. LMAO

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
parasites, LMAO? Not Depaul, not Seton Hall, nope. Notre Dame are the parasites. LMAO

In a 16 team league, someone has to go 3-13. They are doing there part. ND isn't pulling as hard as they could for the BE and people resent it. Perhaps the relationship has just run its course.

If ND has assured the BBs it will stick with them no matter what happens to FB then you can justify them staying. If not, why keep them around. Perhaps that's what the reported anger of the BB schools.toward ND was about. They wouldn't answer?

At some point you need to know who's on board with you.

Reaction Score
LOL, no. I hate ND. I just refuse to live in a fantasy land where they should act in our best interest, and they are to blame for our shortcomings.

It really is amazing how you comprehend things. This is similar to how you translate ND FOOTBALL being irrelevant on a national level over the last two decades as being that ND is irrelevant.
No one is saying they should act in our interest. They should be forced to go all in or be on there way because the current situation is not working for the BE. And no one is blaming them. Could they have helped the conference? Absolutely! Will they? Given their desire to remain independant and in control of the revenue from football, probably not. So what do we have to lose by giving them an ultimatum? Nothing. That's not a fantasy that is the reality of the situation and it's about time someone with any kind of weight in the conference has said as much. It won't come from any president or the Commissioner because they have to put on the PC BS in hopes of swaying them to commit. A coach with Geno's stature can get away with it.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
^^^^ this.

Politically ND helped the BB schools vs. FB in conference matters. Not sure that's the case now. Why do they need ND if they cause unnecessary drama and would bolt a catholic league?

Reaction Score

ND is irrelevant as a football program. As a marketing brand and television attraction they couldn't be more relevant. Everything Geno said is true, and hard to logically dispute. Of course, had ND joined years ago, the Big East may not have pushed Uconn to upgrade. He never said they should act in our best interest. I think his point is why do we allow them to use the Beast at this point when the gain isn't very substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom