It's A Win | The Boneyard

It's A Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ugly. But we win.

For the second game in a row against USF it's 3 FG's and a defensive TD for the win.

Run offense was fine. Pass blocking was horrendous. Defense was great. Special teams were real good.

I'll wait to hear from those at the game how strong the wind was, but we looked much better in the second half than we did in the first half.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Not all specials were special. Punt and kick returns really need work but Teggart and Wagner were great. McCombs needs to either learn how to block or we need to put in JJL or someone else on passing downs. Still, I'll take the win and a .500 record in conference. We still have a chance to make some noise in this league despite the rough start.

Reaction Score
I see three winnable games upcoming against Pitt, Cuse, and Ville. We could easily be 6-1 right now, as hard as it's been to watch this team. McCombs looks like he's going to be a good one.

S

storrsbred1

Don't look now, but we still haven't an offensive TD in several games. However, a win is a win. Congratulations Huskies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't think the wind was that big a deal. I've been to much windier games at The Rent. Very windy in the parking lot though, had to take down the pop-up.

Reaction Score
The o-line was pretty good.

I don't think the pass blocking was that bad. Mac never picked up any of the blitzes. And he held the ball forever. Until he learns to see the blitz coming and make the defense pay, he will spend a lot of time on his back

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

I don't think the pass blocking was that bad. Mac never picked up any of the blitzes. And he held the ball forever. Until he learns to see the blitz coming and make the defense pay, he will spend a lot of time on his back

Watch the replay. Several of those sacks were directly related to McCombs whiffing on blocks. I agree that Mac needs to get rid of the ball better / read blitzes but it's pretty hard when a guy comes in unblocked on a 7 step drop. Pretty much impossible to avoid the sack in those instances.

Reaction Score
I don't think people understand how awful McCombs is at pass blocking. There is literally no point to leaving him back there. I have never in my life seen someone that poor at pass blocking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It wasn't as windy as I anticipated. The wind completely cut down two USF field goal attempts, but it died a bit as the game went along.

Reaction Score
ill take an ugly win over a beautiful loss any day

Reaction Score
Considering many thought this was barely even a winnable game for us, it's a great win for this team any way they could get it.

Reaction Score

I agree Palantine. Even on wide pass rushes no feel for stepping up. He had 3 or 4 chances to gain huge yardage and is so slow to make the move he loses yardage. Hey the RB's, especially McCombs, missed a few blocks but this guy can't get out of his own way. He threw so many passes into the hands of the other team on panic throws it's not even funny. Sorry but I'm guessing the coaches can't be that stupid but if there's nothing better than this on the roster they're in for a long couple of years offensively. The defense was stellar and continues to make big plays. And the O-Coordinator FINALLY faked the option with McCummings and as expected wide open Griffin - good call - need to do that more to make this QB a viable threat when he comes in. Actually let him stay in!!!!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ugly. But we win.
I disagree. If when the final gun sounds we ended up having scored more points than our opponent, it is not ugly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The wind within the bowl was not that strong in the second half, although I am surprised that kicks were not more heavily impacted. There was the one USF FG attempt that went about 30 yards and practically dropped straight down from there, but other than that, I don't remember too much in terms of wind impact.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree Palantine. Even on wide pass rushes no feel for stepping up. He had 3 or 4 chances to gain huge yardage and is so slow to make the move he loses yardage. Hey the RB's, especially McCombs, missed a few blocks but this guy can't get out of his own way. He threw so many passes into the hands of the other team on panic throws it's not even funny. Sorry but I'm guessing the coaches can't be that stupid but if there's nothing better than this on the roster they're in for a long couple of years offensively. The defense was stellar and continues to make big plays. And the O-Coordinator FINALLY faked the option with McCummings and as expected wide open Griffin - good call - need to do that more to make this QB a viable threat when he comes in. Actually let him stay in!!!!!

We ran that play against Fordham for a TD and a second time against Iowa State (might be wrong on the team) where McCummings overthrew the wide open receiver by 10 yards.

We've used it three times in 7 games. One for a TD, one incomplete that was a sure fire TD and yesterday for a 30 yard gain.

Saying "FINALLY" in all caps is a bit melodramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom