It's a win | The Boneyard

It's a win

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's a game we would have lost last year by 6 or 8 points and a game we would have been pummeled in for several years before that. I'll happily take it.

Yup - plenty of room for improvement. The 2000s and early 2010 teams would have killed them. But it's a win - the pendulum is changing.

Hurley has never had this much talent on a roster and he has to learn how to use it. The kids need to learn how to play together and figure out what works. It's the third game in a really weird year where we lost two weeks of practice. It's a process, but they pulled it out. That's a huge improvement over they couldn't get it done or were so out of it, that they never had a chance.

Andre Jackson needs to start stepping up for sure. Add in Akok and we have a maybe too deep team. I'll take it.

I'm excited to see what they become this year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Reminded me of old UConn teams where the defense lead the way. They weren't dominant defensively, but they were good, and they showed toughness.

Reaction Score
It's a game we would have lost last year by 6 or 8 points and a game we would have been pummeled in for several years before that. I'll happily take it.

Yup - plenty of room for improvement. The 2000s and early 2010 teams would have killed them. But it's a win - the pendulum is changing.

Hurley has never had this much talent on a roster and he has to learn how to use it. The kids need to learn how to play together and figure out what works. It's the third game in a really weird year where we lost two weeks of practice. It's a process, but they pulled it out. That's a huge improvement over they couldn't get it done or were so out of it, that they never had a chance.

Andre Jackson needs to start stepping up for sure. Add in Akok and we have a maybe too deep team. I'll take it.

And a game we pull away and win by 15+ with more experience together and learning roles. We played really well for like 20 minutes but need to play D better without fouling and need to learn to step on necks when we have teams down, we'll get there.

Reaction Score
Although it was, at times, hideously ugly, I am highly encouraged by this performance for the following reasons.
  1. The team seemed to show significant improvement compared to the UHart game with only 5 days to achieve that improvement
  2. Hurley made a lot of adjustments that seemed to work, but, more importantly, showed that he is not afraid to change things up
  3. There was a lot about UConn's performance that was pretty bad, but we still beat a decent team
  4. Carlton looks like he will be very valuable to the team this year, even though he may not play a lot every game (although, if he keeps playing like last night, I think he will find more minutes)

Reaction Score
And a game we pull away and win by 15+ with more experience together and learning roles. We played really well for like 20 minutes but need to play D better without fouling and need to learn to step on necks when we have teams down, we'll get there.
I agree. Hurley almost put us in a bad spot when we were up 13 and he went to one of our weaker lineups with like 13 mins left

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is what a good UConn team does, win against an NCAA team with a pro level star despite turning the ball over too much, committing a ton of fouls and missing a bunch of open shots.

The guards didn't play well offensively, esp with Bouk on the bench. That needs to change. Martin looked promising but disappeared late, Cole can't reliably make shots to justify his volume right now. Gaff is more efficient.

Adams, Jackson, and Polley were no shows, the last two physically overmatched and the quick foul trouble proved it.

Not sure why Adams is only getting mintues with the B squad. May just be a numbers game and the need to play a big lineup vs USC.

Carlton had a good game, Sanogo was good athletically but overmatched in terms of skill by Mobley. Whaley was a beast on both ends.

USC was a huge team, made our guys look small and our guys aren't exactly small. This is the type of bad matchup game that you can easily lose in the NCAA. Our guys controlled it most of the way and won despite not playing their best.

That makes it a good win.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie. And sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Everyone keeps saying this, but would we have lost this game last year? We beat a ranked Florida team early on without Bouk. We were inconsistent but not awful. USC did not look like a good team.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Like Tyler, Akok is going to need a lot of time to get back to game form. I trust the fans on this board will have the patience he needs

Reaction Score
Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie. And sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.

Wut?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Are you Lloyd Dobler?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Bill Walton is on the boneyard.

Reaction Score

After tomorrow’s win

1E42EA8D-A160-407C-89FE-E9557D16F858.gif

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson needs to start stepping up for sure.

Good post, but I don't think AJ needs to start stepping up after 3 games. He just needs to develop and contribute. With this squad there is no real pressure on him to step up or do more than he can. He's a true freshman adjusting to D1 ball with shortened practices and surreal environment (e.g. no fans, new off court procedures/policies. shortened practices, new arenas and other COVID impacts).

Just saying freshman all around the nation should all just relax and adjust, as they all are at a major disadvantage when compared to upperclassmen. The 2020 High School to D1 gap/adjustment is probably the biggest its ever been with no time for practice.

Jackson on the bench is smiling, clapping, studying, communicating, engaged and very much active. I really doubt the Jackson we all are expecting will be the reality, and its no fault of his at all. My hope here is that we leave him be regarding expectations, and just appreciate anything he gives us this season.

To me he doesn't need to start stepping up, just 'stepping in' when his number is called. The great thing about this team and our depth is that Martin, Adams and Polley are there. I guess I just see Jackson just fine where he is and how he's developing in spite of the circumstances. Its just 3 games with limited practices.

Reaction Score

Mike Brady talking to the Brady kids.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Good post, but I don't think AJ needs to start stepping up after 3 games. He just needs to develop and contribute. With this squad there is no real pressure on him to step up or do more than he can. He's a true freshman adjusting to D1 ball with shortened practices and surreal environment (e.g. no fans, new off court procedures/policies. shortened practices, new arenas and other COVID impacts).

Just saying freshman all around the nation should all just relax and adjust, as they all are at a major disadvantage when compared to upperclassmen. The 2020 High School to D1 gap/adjustment is probably the biggest its ever been with no time for practice.

Jackson on the bench is smiling, clapping, studying, communicating, engaged and very much active. I really doubt the Jackson we all are expecting will be the reality, and its no fault of his at all. My hope here is that we leave him be regarding expectations, and just appreciate anything he gives us this season.

To me he doesn't need to start stepping up, just 'stepping in' when his number is called. The great thing about this team and our depth is that Martin, Adams and Polley are there. I guess I just see Jackson just fine where he is and how he's developing in spite of the circumstances. Its just 3 games with limited practices.
well said

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Keep in mind Jeremy Lamb didn't break out until like mid January of his Fr year. He's going to be just fine, and there is not reason why anybody should be down on him after 3 games.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Fair enough and I actually think we're saying the same things. By stepping up, I'm not saying be a star or go to go or even a double digit kid. He just has to start contributing - you're 'stepping in' phrase is probably better than my 'stepping up' phrase. I would like to see him start contributing and getting some run without hurting the outcome of a game. Sanogo isn't setting the world on fire but that kind of impact would be great from Jackson.

Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom