It's a process & athleticism | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's a process & athleticism

Reaction Score
I can finally understand why Yakwe has gotten any minutes this year. For all his flaws, he is one of the only high major athletes on the team.

Yeah Walker he played well. Listen he can’t pass its a weakness but the rest is tough kid, athletic and hard working on both ends. Like him despite the flaws.

Reaction Score
My thoughts.

....UConn played an energetic defense...gave the Noles problems. Also gave up some free throws as a consequence. Both teams balanced tough D against subsequent foul calls.

....UConn had more length than I realized...with slashing, over the rim rebounding, good positioning and moving from outside past a rebound block out. But the big guys do not have the big body or under basket strength...they did well on athleticism but need some time in the gym.

....Gilbert and Adams will win some games for the Huskies this year. Versatile scorers. Yakwe can rebound.

....FSU had two guys who together pulled down 20 rebounds (the big Center and Mann slicing in from Guard)...UConn didn't have any one dominant rebounder like FSU's Center.

.....However...the total rebounds were close 35 FSU to 32 UConn....just different ways to get there.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
If we are going to press and run there will be turnovers. It goes with the style but is the dumb unforced turnovers that kill us. We play hard but we don't look like a well coached team right now. Hurley will clean up our play and we will be better latter in the season if the players adjust. If not it will be more of the same.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We just aren't at the level to compete athletically with teams like FSU. If we had a transcendent player and were a high bb IQ team it could be different but we don't have that either. It is what it is.
All the time less talented, less athletic teams find ways to beat superior teams. Just today look at Seton Hall over Kentucky. I Like Hurley but he has to find a way to get these kids to play smarter because talent alone won't get it done vs the better teams on the schedule.. Shall found a way and won, played a smart game despite Kentucky being far superior

Both of these are true. We’ve got a few things we do well, and the X&O part of the game has to use those better, despite our limitations.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Some people live on the dark side

We're not winning a national championship, we are going to the dance, and that will be awesome. By March, I expect us to be good enough to be a second weekend team.

Our biggest problem vs FSU was not play in the paint, and Diarra is going to help with that anyhow, our biggest problem was unforced turnovers by our very good guards who are capable of playing much better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FSU's thread on pay Warchant "FSU-UConn Game Story with Box Score" already has 5,077 views and 481 replies.

The game was one with a lot of fan interest.....a good thing for both programs.

Nole fan thoughts posted...sampling

...58 total fouls...that's insane

...Huge win against a tough crowd and refs. Good test before ACC play.

...That #3 on UConn has hit some big threes.

....The stoppages are really tiresome. Im recording games and fast forward through the stoppages. Its hurting the game.

...That was one long ugly game, but a solid win on the road.

...UConn could be a tourney team this year and then we’ve got another great “neutral”/away game for seeding.

...Yeah I know RPI is less important this year than previous years, but I just wanted to point out our first 8 games SOS is #25, and last year it was #260! That's an astronomical improvement.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m glad they felt the atmosphere was a road game but if beating Oregon in Portland for the PK80 wasn’t a road game that wasn’t either.

I know he’s already getting flak but I’m concerned with Carlton and his role with the future of the team. He’s not strong or fast or a shooter or a rebounder. He brings being 6’10 when we play teams with 6’7 centers but that’s really it. He has okay footwork but is still a travel or an offensive foul more than half the time and goes up with the ball like he’s placing a porcelain star on top of a Christmas tree. He needs to commit to being one type of player and get really good at that.

Reaction Score

We're not winning a national championship, we are going to the dance, and that will be awesome. By March, I expect us to be good enough to be a second weekend team.

Our biggest problem vs FSU was not play in the paint, and Diarra is going to help with that anyhow, our biggest problem was unforced turnovers by our very good guards who are capable of playing much better.
If those are your expectations you're going to end up disappointed.

Reaction Score
This game is more evidence of how we aren't all that close to being there. Our starting center simply can't play against any legit teams, he is just at such a huge athletic and strength disadvantage and it leads to getting pushed around and stupid fouls every time. Nice kid but he's supposed to be a backup. Our starting power forward is a little better but basically in the same boat athetically and strength wise, he can become a knockdown three point shooter though. Our starting 3 man is 6'2 and an average athlete, should be a 7th or 8th man on any really good team. Our starting guards have all the talent but one of them is still shaking off the rust after being away from the game for so long and our suppposed star isn't a star and is seriously lacking in the leadership department.

That's the starters, most of the bench doesn't even belong on past Husky teams. Wilson is probably our best athlete but isn't close to being ready. We just aren't at the level to compete athletically with teams like FSU. If we had a transcendent player and were a high bb IQ team it could be different but we don't have that either. It is what it is.

Randy, is that you? ;):D

(Sorry, I know comparing basketball rosters and football rosters are like comparing oranges and kiwis but I couldn’t resist.)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

For a team who gives a lot of minutes to a lot of guys who can legally drink it’s amazing how much we turn the ball over.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I’m glad they felt the atmosphere was a road game but if beating Oregon in Portland for the PK80 wasn’t a road game that wasn’t either.

I know he’s already getting flak but I’m concerned with Carlton and his role with the future of the team. He’s not strong or fast or a shooter or a rebounder. He brings being 6’10 when we play teams with 6’7 centers but that’s really it. He has okay footwork but is still a travel or an offensive foul more than half the time and goes up with the ball like he’s placing a porcelain star on top of a Christmas tree. He needs to commit to being one type of player and get really good at that.

He’s a third of the way through his sophomore year. As long as you don’t compare him to be a Calhoun-era recruit who’d be NBA ready after three years, he’ll be fine.

Reaction Score

Dance? Beat Nova then we’ll talk.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
wah,wah,wah… a few games into the season, and myopia runs rampant. we good, just not great.... yet. check back around, say, mid February, and the talk will be about our seeding in the big dance. sunny days ahead, so chillax and enjoy the rebirth, hiccups and all. moses hurley and his band of merrydawgs bringing big fun in the years ahead. noice.

Reaction Score

I have much more faith in Josh to improve. He’s still young and a late bloomer. By senior year we will see a night and day difference in his game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom