Its a new season... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Its a new season...

Reaction Score
Eric was my lab partner in our Geology class during the spring semester of his senior year. He's one of the nicest people I've ever met. His game vs Rutgers at Memorial Stadium in 1973 was one of the greatest single rushing efforts I've ever seen. Clinging to a narrow 20-19 lead going into the fourth quarter, we got possession of the ball with about 14 minutes left, deep in our own territory. We proceeded to run the ball on every single play, with Tork carrying. He never gained more than maybe three to five yards per carry, but we held the ball, getting one first down after another until the one minute mark, when we scored a TD to win the game 27-19. He outdueled Rutger's All-American tailback J.J. Jennings that day. Jennings was so good he still holds a lot of rushing records for Rutgers.

The funny thing about Eric is he was not physically imposing in the least. To look at him you'd have never guessed he was a football player. I think his playing weight at UConn was 190. He just had a tremendous will. His senior season team went 8-2-1, losing only to Lehigh by two points, who had a future NFL QB named Kim McQuilken, and perennial power Delaware.

Just saw a video interview with Eric on the Packers website recently, a sort of where are they now thing. It may still be on there. He remained in the GB area after his playing days were over and became a successful businessman.
Eric had 164 Yards Rushing that day, Offensive Line Anchored By Little All- American C0-Captain Rich Foye, The O-Line, I'm guessing, averaged about 240, if that...

Reaction Score
Let's get more then 5K for the first game.

With RE back, an exiting new staff, a fresh look on offense and some promising new players in the lineup I'll bet a nickel we break 30k for the opener, especially if the Athletic Department does a good job promoting the game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wow, already at Phase 3 when past regimes were only winning breakfast. I missed cornball RE, just the right amount of cringe without overdoing it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Wow, already at Phase 3 when past regimes were only winning breakfast. I missed cornball RE, just the right amount of cringe without overdoing it.

Is this the all the way up phase? Or the somebody better tell em phase?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Who taught Randy how to use Twitter? I do not seem to remember him being a twitterer during his first Husky regime.

Reaction Score
Torkleson was a great guy and da really good back that year. That Rutgers game was an amazing performance. It was 3 yards and a cloud of dust but it was an amazing performance in the sense that everyone in the. Holding including Rutgers knew he was getting the ball. They set up to stop him and he still got 3-4 yards. Basically if he needed 3 he got 3 1/2. He did the same thing in the win against Yale though UConn dominated. I remember
One of the oline telling me that late in the 4th quarter they would come to the line and tell the Yalies the play, then Tork would gain yards anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom