It's a little odd... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's a little odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Breakaway speed, elite speed. Toemato, tahmahtoe. I mentioned at least three UConn players ( Cauley, Todman and Brown) who could have pulled away and possibly add Brockington to that list as well. New some also doesn't make defenders miss like some of the aforementioned as evidenced by a play earlier in game when he could have run forever but couldn't get by one-on-one with a sole DB. Newsome = overrated, til proven otherwise. He's more comparable to Lyle McCombs than the above mentioned UConn star backs.

Who says that he's as good as Brown or Todman though?

Reaction Score
Breakaway speed, elite speed. Toemato, tahmahtoe. I mentioned at least three UConn players ( Cauley, Todman and Brown) who could have pulled away and possibly add Brockington to that list as well. New some also doesn't make defenders miss like some of the aforementioned as evidenced by a play earlier in game when he could have run forever but couldn't get by one-on-one with a sole DB. Newsome = overrated, til proven otherwise. He's more comparable to Lyle McCombs than the above mentioned UConn star backs.

You have a real weird grudge against the kid. He's the best back we have and the 2nd best playmaker on the offensive side of the ball. Nothing else really matters.

Reaction Score

Really??? Forward to the 1:09 mark, watch, then let me know how your foot tastes.

Reaction Score
Really??? Forward to the 1:09 mark, watch, then let me know how your foot tastes.

I was going to post this, too. Neither Newsome or Brown have/had crazy breakaway speed but they both have great quickness and acceleration. Brown ran a 4.5 40' at the combine and Newsome probably runs about the same.

Reaction Score
Who says that he's as good as Brown or Todman though?
He is not a workhorse back like either one of those two or even Andre Dixon. He is a back who you give it to 10-12 times a game and he may break one for 15 or 20 on occasion and you throw a couple of passes in the flat a game to him. I would love if we had a downhill workhorse runner who would pick up 3 or 4 yards a carry every time. We just don't. Johnson on occasion looks like he could do that but he is not that person either.

Reaction Score

An O Line that opened holes for RB's, A QB who kept plays alive AND kept his vision down field to find receivers, full house at the Rent; those were good times!

Reaction Score

I think he is faster than McCombs.

Reaction Score
I think he is faster than McCombs.

He's faster than McCombs, and doesn't go down when someone breathes on him . . .

His top-end speed is not at the level of Caulley/Todman/Brown. Probably in the Dixon/Brockington range.

Reaction Score

Brown also runs away from everybody at 2:22 of the same clip.

Reaction Score
Brown also runs away from everybody at 2:22 of the same clip.
True, but I was debunking the point that Brown wouldn't be/wasn't caught from behind. When you talk UConn running backs, he is the standard. Even he was caught from behind, on occasion. RBs, typically, fall in the 4.4-4.6s 40-yard range. DBs run between 4.2-4.4s. So, at some point Newsome's (4.5s) line and Thomas' (4.4s) line are going to cross. It's a matter of where and when.

Reaction Score
True, but I was debunking the point that Brown wouldn't be/wasn't caught from behind. When you talk UConn running backs, he is the standard. Even he was caught from behind, on occasion. RBs, typically, fall in the 4.4-4.6s 40-yard range. DBs run between 4.2-4.4s. So, at some point Newsome's (4.5s) line and Thomas' (4.4s) line are going to cross. It's a matter of where and when.

That's fair. In terms of pure top end speed, I think Brown is 3rd behind Todman and Caulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom