It Will Take More Than Belief | The Boneyard

It Will Take More Than Belief

Reaction Score
This morning's Courant article quotes Ollie as saying that once our kids start believing in themselves, they "can beat anyone anywhere."

This is not some bug-eyed Boneyarder talking. This is the team's head coach.

Mt wife's a Dukie, so I was compelled to watch Duke play Evansville last night. Evansville came into into the game 10-2, the best 3-point shooting team in the country. They were playing without two injured starters, but you wonder if their coach might have thought "If we believe in ourselves, we can beat anyone anywhere."

Duke won 104-40.

To my eye (an eye conditioned to watching UConn over these first ten games), Evansville looked like a competent, well-coached team -- a team that would UConn a battle. I was particularly taken with their junior center, a burly 6-9 Lithuanian, something of a Kisunas look-alike although a bit broader in the shoulders. This guy had an assortment of post-moves, got free on pick-and-rolls a number times, never seemed flustered to discover the ball in his hands. He looked like a competent European-trained player. He finished with 12 points, 5 rebounds in 27 minutes. I was thinking how satisfied I would be if Kisunas could give us a few games like this next year against quality opponents.

But Duke won 104-40.

Evansville found itself overwhelmed defensively, unable to contain Duke's freshman bigs Bagley and Carter and unable to keep pace with Duke's perimeter quickness. But, even offensively, they were overwhelmed -- challenged at the 3-point line and time after time getting stuffed underneath by taller, more athletic players.

Kind of reminded me of the 1964 Elite Eight game UConn played against Duke. That was a good UConn team -- good enough to beat the Temple team of Guy Rodgers and Hal Lear and good enough to stop Bill Bradley. You can bet they believed in themselves. But they lost 109-54. After the game, Fred Shabel sat them down and acquainted them with the realities of big-time recruiting.

My point. You either have the Bagleys and the Carters (and the Allens) or you don't. Evansville doesn't. UConn doesn't and won't next year. It takes more than belief when you are no longer in the competition for big-time recruits.

Reaction Score
This morning's Courant article quotes Ollie as saying that once our kids start believing in themselves, they "can beat anyone anywhere."

Mt wife's a Dukie, so I was compelled to watch Duke play Evansville last night. Evansville came into into the game 10-2, the best 3-point shooting team in the country. They were playing without two injured starters, but you wonder if their coach might have thought "If we believe in ourselves, we can beat anyone anywhere."

Duke won 104-40.

To my eye (an eye conditioned to watching UConn over these first ten games), Evansville looked like a competent, well-coached team -- a team that would UConn a battle. I was particularly taken with their junior center, a burly 6-9 Lithuanian, something of a Kisunas look-alike although a bit broader in the shoulders. This guy had an assortment of post-moves, got free on pick-and-rolls a number times, never seemed flustered to discover the ball in his hands. He looked like a competent European-trained player. He finished with 12 points, 5 rebounds in 27 minutes. I was thinking how satisfied I would be if Kisunas could give us a few games like this next year against quality opponents.

But Duke won 104-40.

Evansville found itself overwhelmed defensively, unable to contain Duke's freshman bigs Bagley and Carter and unable to keep pace with Duke's perimeter quickness. But, even offensively, they were overwhelmed -- challenged at the 3-point line and time after time getting stuffed underneath by taller, more athletic players.

Kind of reminded me of the 1964 Elite Eight game UConn played against Duke. That was a good UConn team -- good enough to beat the Temple team of Guy Rodgers and Hal Lear and good enough to stop Bill Bradley. You can bet they believed in themselves. But they lost 109-54. After the game, Fred Shabel sat them down and acquainted them with the realities of big-time recruiting.

My point. You either have the Bagleys and the Carters (and the Allens) or you don't. Evansville doesn't. UConn doesn't and won't next year. It takes more than belief when you are no longer in the competition for big-time recruits.

Duke and UNC don't win it every year though, nor teams who grab big time recruits (i.e. Arizona, Kentucky). Some years, they lose. See Villanova or UConn.

I'm not saying they don't need better recruiting, but surely you can beat teams with these top 5 studs on them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Duke won 104-40.

But Duke won 104-40.

You're right. Instead of telling them to believe in themselves, he should be telling them that they have no chance because they suck..

Reaction Score
Arizona isn’t Duke, UConn isn’t Evansville, one game isn’t a standard, and this thread isn’t a good one.
I see you don't agree with my point, but at least you caught it -- Arizona is Duke, and Evansville is very much UConn.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I see you don't agree with my point, but at least you caught it -- Arizona is Duke, and Evansville is very much UConn.

, do you guys have any idea how whiny and melodramatic you sound?

In the past 24 hours, posters here have compared us to Wofford and Evansville. You folks are simply on a different planet.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
No they aren’t and I’m not going to waste my time arguing about it with you. Enjoy all the s#it you’ll get for this pathetic thread, bud.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We aren’t losing by 60. But we won’t win

Reaction Score

I sort of scanned your post with one eye because I'm not all that interested in it but I assume there was another part of the article where Ollie said that the entire game plan for Arizona was believing in themselves because, if not, this seems like a tremendous waste of a post. What the duck_ else is he supposed to say? I can't comprehend the thought process that goes into some of these posts.

Reaction Score
Is that really the game plan?? “ Believing in yourself and you can beat anyone” . Let’s hope not.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Is that really the game plan?? “ Believing in yourself and you can beat anyone” . Let’s hope not.

No sane person believes that is the entire game plan.

Reaction Score
The game stes up for KO like when we went over to Germany and beat MSU whe no one expected it. KO had a chip on his shoulder then, hope he does now.

Reaction Score
Arizona isn’t Duke, UConn isn’t Evansville, one game isn’t a standard, and this thread isn’t a good one.

I think Arizona is better than Duke. I also wish and hope are better than this ^^^^

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No sane person believes that is the entire game plan.

The worry is that the actual plan will be worse. Upsets happen. No reason why this can’t be one, with Christmas looming and ASU this weekend for UA.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Confidence is a very big part of the equation, he once again said the right thing

go get them KO

Reaction Score
IMG_9289.JPG

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
, do you guys have any idea how whiny and melodramatic you sound?

In the past 24 hours, posters here have compared us to Wofford and Evansville. You folks are simply on a different planet.
And the Lulzy part is they are the same people who think Izzo will leave MSU for Storrs. Like superjohn

Reaction Score
Reading the UConn Arizona game thread tonight, I find that at least 20 different people concluded that the team played hard but just didn't have the horses to compete. My point exactly. As for KO's assessment that they can "beat anyone anywhere" if they will only start believing in themselves, I leave you to imagine JC resorting to such a transparent delegation of responsibility.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Reading the UConn Arizona game thread tonight, I find that at least 20 different people concluded that the team played hard but just didn't have the horses to compete. My point exactly. As for KO's assessment that they can "beat anyone anywhere" if they will only start believing in themselves, I leave you to imagine JC resorting to such a transparent delegation of responsibility.

If whomever the head coach is keeps being compared to JC on a regular basis, we'll all be miserable for the rest of our days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom