It will take a couple of game to wash the taste of Edsall out of our mouths. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It will take a couple of game to wash the taste of Edsall out of our mouths.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Edsall is an impossible coach to figure. Fraud is a little too strong a word. He’s the same guy who had some good years at UConn including a few halfway decent defensive teams. He was never as good as he considered himself to be. I don’t think he was any more creative the first time around. The BE probably attracted better players and the shift to the AAC coupled with two horrible hires (well Diaco turned out lousy) changed the quality of most recruits we could get. RE’s coaching limitations were more than could overcome the talent gap. It shows up all over the field and he never put them in a better position to compete let alone win. I don’t see how there can be a huge change this year.
Let’s remember his out right bs about what we could expect this year. I will always support the kids. I’ll be at next weeks game. But I’m not there for these coaches.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let’s remember his out right bs about what we could expect this year. I will always support the kids. I’ll be at next weeks game. But I’m not there for these coaches.
What do you suppose he was going to say? Geez. Of course we support the kids. I go to the games and I’ve never gone to a game of any kind based on who the coaches are. The reactions to today and the rest of this year should be based on reality and if people bought tickets based on coach speak, I don’t know what to say. Actually I do know what to say, but I prefer not to.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
What do you suppose he was going to say? Geez. Of course we support the kids. I go to the games and I’ve never gone to a game of any kind based on who the coaches are. The reactions to today and the rest of this year should be based on reality and if people bought tickets based on coach speak, I don’t know what to say. Actually I do know what to say, but I prefer not to.
He said plenty to make us feel better about the season. None of it was based on truth. That’s my issue…I don’t go to games based on who the coach is either. Not sure anyone does. I listened to everything our interim said this week…I didn’t see much of it in the way the game was coached. Those early short yardage plays calls were beyond horrid.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Edsall is an impossible coach to figure. Fraud is a little too strong a word. He’s the same guy who had some good years at UConn including a few halfway decent defensive teams. He was never as good as he considered himself to be. I don’t think he was any more creative the first time around. The BE probably attracted better players and the shift to the AAC coupled with two horrible hires (well Diaco turned out lousy) changed the quality of most recruits we could get. RE’s coaching limitations were more than could overcome the talent gap. It shows up all over the field and he never put them in a better position to compete let alone win. I don’t see how there can be a huge change this year.
Fraud is the precise word.

He was able to get players selling the conference, new stadium, new practice facility. He choked his R1.0 teams too, but by circumstance had better players/coaches to start with. He’s not a builder; he was present when something was being built around him. Maryland and 2.0 make this crystal clear.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He said plenty to make us feel better about the season. None of it was based on truth. That’s my issue…I don’t go to games based on who the coach is either. Not sure anyone does. I listened to everything our interim said this week…I didn’t see much of it in the way the game was coached. Those early short yardage plays calls were beyond horrid.
Seriously. Wow. Made you feel better. You sound like a kid. There are two possibilities. He actually believed what he was saying. Or he’d be nuts to be truthful and squash ticket sales coming off a year with no football preceded by a terrible season. And yes there were some short yardage calls that weren’t great, but if you expected drastic changes in less than a week, that was unlikely. Overall they tried a better variety of plays on both sides of the ball. Purdue was not a team that our players could do a lot of new things against with less than a week of practice. Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks. I just want to see competitive play. There are are only a few teams I think we should beat with our current players both because of talent and experience. I think we want the same things. RE is gone but I’d be astounded by major strides this year.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Seriously. Wow. Made you feel better. You sound like a kid. There are two possibilities. He actually believed what he was saying. Or he’d be nuts to be truthful and squash ticket sales coming off a year with no football preceded by a terrible season. And yes there were some short yardage calls that weren’t great, but if you expected drastic changes in less than a week, that was unlikely. Overall they tried a better variety of plays on both sides of the ball. Purdue was not a team that our players could do a lot of new things against with less than a week of practice. Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks. I just want to see competitive play. There are are only a few teams I think we should beat with our current players both because of talent and experience. I think we want the same things. RE is gone but I’d be astounded by major strides this year.
We’re just not going to agree here, but I hear you. The important thing is that we continue to support the kids regardless of all the other crap.

Reaction Score
Is there an explanation for why Purdue’s WRs had so much space today other than our guys are slow? They seemed to be playing well off their assigned man. Was it missed assignments, acknowledgment that if they played in close the WRs would blow right by them or something else?

Defending a 4 star WR like Yaseen or last season's First Team All Big Ten like Bell...is tough for a former 2 star talent like Wortham at CB or 2 star Lucien at CB.

Reaction Score
I can’t see me wasting anymore time going out to the Rent. When the most impressive part of the day is the baton twirler, it’s time to rethink my choices. Steven Krajewski is pretty damn good and why he wasn’t playing speaks volumes about the dysfunction that is Randy. I’ll cut Spanos a break, but he cannot allow Guifre to control the offense. Some of the calls were inexplicably bad. The run on third to set up for a 53 yard FG sucked any momentum or confidence they could have built.

The D is a total failure. Every aspect stinks. Travis Jones is an overweight, slow non-factor. He has no chance in the NFL unless he finds a motor. The LBs can’t cover, can’t fill, take bad angles, don’t have any instincts and all around suck. The DBs are just stunningly bad. It’s almost impossible to be this bad.

Steven Krajewski is a bright spot. The OL is a total rebuild and they may as well play the second team. Mensah for whatever reason can’t run, and can’t pass protect. The obsession with the beating the edge is borderline clinical insanity. They couldn’t even exploit Holy Cross on the edge. They refuse to leverage the middle of the field in the pass game. They refuse to use TEs in the past game.

They must open up the pass game. They need to use a fullback and go heavy with an emphasis on pass protect and use of TEs. The OL assignments need to be simple and back to basics. Sadly, this team is loaded with unskilled, bad football players. They need to find those with football instincts and get in the field.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Fraud is the precise word.

He was able to get players selling the conference, new stadium, new practice facility. He choked his R1.0 teams too, but by circumstance had better players/coaches to start with. He’s not a builder; he was present when something was being built around him. Maryland and 2.0 make this crystal clear.
Ok, sure, whatever. A fraud is someone who knows he or she is making things up. That’s not the same as someone who isn’t up,to the task. I’m not an Edsall fan, but no matter how much you want to put down how he handled his first time around, he wasn’t a total incompetent. His teams were competitive and often enough, entertaining.

This time around we are far enough away from Diaco to judge Edsall and it’s been terrible. But I sure don’t expect that he would come out and say “Boy do I suck and we are going to be as bad as ever this year”. I also don’t expect miracles this year, and certainly not in less than a full practice week against probably the second best team they will see this year. I’m looking for more aggressive creativity. I just don’t see this group with notable playmakers and definitely not on D. we are in a hole and whoever coaches next year with whatever players we have has a lot of work to do. Losing is one thing . Not being in the game is totally another. That has to end.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Ok, sure, whatever. A fraud is someone who knows he or she is making things up. That’s not the same as someone who isn’t up,to the task. I’m not an Edsall fan, but no matter how much you want to put down how he handled his first time around, he wasn’t a total incompetent. His teams were competitive and often enough, entertaining.

This time around we are far enough away from Diaco to judge Edsall and it’s been terrible. But I sure don’t expect that he would come out and say “Boy do I suck and we are going to be as bad as ever this year”. I also don’t expect miracles this year, and certainly not in less than a full practice week against probably the second best team they will see this year. I’m looking for more aggressive creativity. I just don’t see this group with notable playmakers and definitely not on D. we are in a hole and whoever coaches next year with whatever players we have has a lot of work to do. Losing is one thing . Not being in the game is totally another. That has to end.
This time around it was evident he didn’t GOS. We were the only school dumb enough to pay him, and he saw it as his ticket to retirement. From day 1, every comment and excuse was designed to maximize the number of paychecks he got. There was no work put in. No learning. No improvement. Nothing. Nothing but regression.

First time through, he rode - and frequently fought - a wave.

Reaction Score
I feel used. Now we know why he didn't want to play last year. A complete fraud.
People did not want to believe it. It bought him another year at $1.25M.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom