It will take a couple of game to wash the taste of Edsall out of our mouths. | The Boneyard

It will take a couple of game to wash the taste of Edsall out of our mouths.

Reaction Score
Today was more of the same. But perhaps, Sopanos is capable of learning. We know Edsall wasn't. We are entering a period where there are a group of winnable games but we cannot play conservative football and win any of them. We rolled out the QB today, we threw a a couple of screen passes. We even blitzed off the edge. All good signs.

One thing I didn't like. Spanos seemed reluctent to throw the ball between the numbers (reminiscent of red pants). That needs to change.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Today was more of the same. But perhaps, Sopanos is capable of learning. We know Edsall wasn't. We are entering a period where there are a group of winnable games but we cannot play conservative football and win any of them. We rolled out the QB today, we threw a a couple of screen passes. We even blitzed off the edge. All good signs.

One thing I didn't like. Spanos seemed reluctent to throw the ball between the numbers (reminiscent of red pants). That needs to change.
The Office Lie GIF

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I feel used. Now we know why he didn't want to play last year. A complete fraud.
And DB gave him an extension for it. An extension we are paying for at this moment. DB really needs to do some explaining here. As a football guy, how’d he have no whiff of this disaster?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

We seem to have an aversion to throwing between the hashes. Makes me nuts.

Reaction Score
And DB gave him an extension for it. An extension we are paying for at this moment. DB really needs to do some explaining here. As a football guy, how’d he have no whiff of this disaster?
If you think about it, haven't had very good ADs here recently either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course he gave the head coach an extension, you kind of have to to protect recruiting, such as it is. But he did not give him a buyout. I’m willing to give Dave the benefit of the doubt, but this next hire has to be outstanding.

Reaction Score

Spanos is horrible.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Of course he gave the head coach an extension, you kind of have to to protect recruiting, such as it is. But he did not give him a buyout. I’m willing to give Dave the benefit of the doubt, but this next hire has to be outstanding.
A 2-year contract hardly protects recruiting though. And they could have called it a 2-year contract:day-to-day for 2 years. This was so foreseeable it is painful.

Reaction Score
Ok start. Krajewski nailed a several passes that Jack Zergiotis couldn’t dream of doing. D tackled effectively first several possessions. Issue is no offense, no points and no tram ability to survive wounds inflicted on an overtaxed defense. Going for that long fg in first half didn’t help-just go for it. Rest of the way this year, anything inside the 50 is four down territory. Help this team gain some confidence.

Reaction Score
I usually try and be positive. Unfortunately this show threw me over the edge. I am no longer going to the Army game and just cancelled my Clemson plans. This team has zero balls. Sorry. Even an untalented tram does not get kicked in the face consistently and just roll over. That’s what we do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm with you on this. An extension without a buyout isn't an extension. And I think Dave has a plan here.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Geezus. I don’t have a clue what people expected today. Our line play is pretty lousy and it might just be a matter of talent. How was that supposed to change in a week? Ditto tackling issues. But overall against a team they no way were equipped to come close to, there were some positives. Steven Krajewski seems a much better QB. I agree that there need to be more passes over the middle, but play calling generally was more creative. The D was put into a more aggressive mode. Our deficiencies in talent and or experience show up all over the place in filling gaps, containing plays and obviously too much operating room for receivers. Hard to overcome that in a week and not against a good offense like Purdue. They scored a bunch last week.

Obviously the outcome wouldn’t have changed, but a couple of plays on O that were messed up took away a few decent drives and gave the ball back to Purdue. One was 4th and one with a far too complicated running play that resulted in a fumble, we recovered, but lost yards. The other was an illegal procedure on 2nd and 5, we had a bit of momentum, and movement way before the snap, score 21-0 at the time. Made it 2nd and 10 and that was that.

I’m afraid that we can only hope for incremental progress, but it’s still the same players and same coaches, but they did seem to be much more willing to create with RE.gone. I’m not sure what it all means anyway. Presumably we’ll have a new set of coaches next year and who knows which players.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I'm with you on this. An extension without a buyout isn't an extension. And I think Dave has a plan here.
I don’t understand why people keep saying there is no buyout. We are paying him right now. Call it what you want, but DB cut a bad deal.

Reaction Score
Is there an explanation for why Purdue’s WRs had so much space today other than our guys are slow? They seemed to be playing well off their assigned man. Was it missed assignments, acknowledgment that if they played in close the WRs would blow right by them or something else?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This is the truth.
Edsall is an impossible coach to figure. Fraud is a little too strong a word. He’s the same guy who had some good years at UConn including a few halfway decent defensive teams. He was never as good as he considered himself to be. I don’t think he was any more creative the first time around. The BE probably attracted better players and the shift to the AAC coupled with two horrible hires (well Diaco turned out lousy) changed the quality of most recruits we could get. RE’s coaching limitations were more than could overcome the talent gap. It shows up all over the field and he never put them in a better position to compete let alone win. I don’t see how there can be a huge change this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom